Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do we follow a LF/SF diet after banding?

I agree the Kraft 2% American Slices and grated cheeses are good and tasty and they melt like "real" cheese. I also like Oscar Mayer low fat hot dogs. I think we just have to be thoughtful about our choices....but not obsessive.

Thanks for the GREAT replies! They are full of good advice and feedback that I need to hear now. The office I go to really plays up the LF/SF menu, but I think part of the original problem of my weight gain was trying to subsitute these usually inferior versions for the originals, and I would end up eating a lot more b/c they just don't seem to offer me the same level of satiety. I have been wanting instead to a more Mediterranean diet with a lot of flavor, veggies, etc. I am like restlessmonkey, I want to learn how to eat, enjoy it, and FORGET ABOUT EATING until it is actually time to eat again. I don't want food to be my focus, nor do I want eating it to be a chore because it is unpleasant. I'm very glad to see that generaly healthiness and common sense seem to be the main theme with the most successful bandsters. I think I can do that!

I'm new to this site and am surprised by how many of you are able to eat regular food right out of the gate!

My Dr has me on 1 week clear, Week 2 - cream foods, Week 3 - Soft foods (eggs, cheese, cream of whatever, mash potatoes. Week 4 I'm able to introduce soft meat...

I was under the impression that the liquid phase was to make sure the band heals and "sets" - kind of like building a strong foundation. And here I've been eating yogurt that tastes like liquid cardboard! The ingredient list looks like some kind of science project! I was told that my stomach would not be able to "handle" sugar, and I've been too afraid to test that theory.

MarinaBleu...

Each doc has his or her own post op diet. The best advice is to follow your doc's orders. I have a post op diet similar to yours but I don't get soft meats and foods until week 5. There are some who are on liquids for 4 weeks. You ARE healing right now; so do what your doc says. I don't know about being able to "handle" sugar right now. but you will be able to (GBS patients are prone to dumping syndrome; we aren't) so hang in there. Can't you use artificially sweetened yogurt?

It will get better for you

I agree with the consensus here. My doctor said this isn't a diet, it's Portion Control. The only diet like aspect is that I have to eat the healthier food first, and with a limited capacity, that naturally leaves out a lot of the junk. The sugar free rule in the healing phase is because of the reaction the body has to sugar on an empty stomach, it tends to cause blood sugar swings and digestive upset (usually in the form of the runs). Since we are only eating a small amount at a time during that period, that pudding is likely going into an empty stomach. A reasonable serving of sweets after our Protein and veggies after we have moved on to regular foods won't have the same bad effect. I tend to choose reduced fat or sugar products, but not those that are reduced to the point of adding the olestra or artificial sweeteners. Olestra makes me immediately run to the bathroom and the only nutrasweet I take in now is in my crystal light once a day. Anything in moderation is my doctor's rule, as long as the good stuff goes in first.

but I think part of the original problem of my weight gain was trying to subsitute these usually inferior versions for the originals, and I would end up eating a lot more b/c they just don't seem to offer me the same level of satiety.

I have completely gone to FLAVOR over quantity. I've always used butter, and will continue to do so, however, since I'm going to be doing Protein first, and then veggies, I may never actually have much room for anything that I generally put butter on. White potatoes aren't so useful that I'd have them jump in line before other, more nutritious stuff, you know?

Let's talk about "limited capacity". I don't feel it. I only felt it the first week post op. Today is my 7th week anniversary and I received my second fill yesterday for a total of 3.5 ccs in an 8 cc band. I feel no restriction whatsoever. I'm hungry and a bit frustrated because I got the band to help me with Portion Control and right now I'm fighting the hunger all on my own with no help from the band. Has anyone gone through this and if so, any words of advice?

Don't worry Dionna you are in very early days. I was banded last august I needed several fills until I got good restriction, it took me until february. Hopefully it will be faster for you.

Let's talk about "limited capacity". I don't feel it. I only felt it the first week post op. Today is my 7th week anniversary and I received my second fill yesterday for a total of 3.5 ccs in an 8 cc band. I feel no restriction whatsoever. I'm hungry and a bit frustrated because I got the band to help me with Portion Control and right now I'm fighting the hunger all on my own with no help from the band. Has anyone gone through this and if so, any words of advice?

I read that it could take up to 2 weeks after a fill before you "feel" it. I have felt restriction since surgery, and especially since my 2nd fill, but it takes others longer, and some people have to have more fills to feel a difference.

I'm new to this site and am surprised by how many of you are able to eat regular food right out of the gate!

My Dr has me on 1 week clear, Week 2 - cream foods, Week 3 - Soft foods (eggs, cheese, cream of whatever, mash potatoes. Week 4 I'm able to introduce soft meat...

I was under the impression that the liquid phase was to make sure the band heals and "sets" - kind of like building a strong foundation. And here I've been eating yogurt that tastes like liquid cardboard! The ingredient list looks like some kind of science project! I was told that my stomach would not be able to "handle" sugar, and I've been too afraid to test that theory.

I had to do 10 days each phase - full liquids - mushies - soft - regular and didnt get my 1st fill till 8 weeks out. You will find that all the doc are diff and as restlessmonkey says - you gotta follow your doc's advice...

For me full liquids included yogurts - pudding - fudgecicles - popcicles which all were to be sugar free. I still eat all these items - and still use the sf verisions - I don't want 200 caloris for a yogurt or ice cream - which i eat daily - I do allow for treats - real sugar & something higher in fat about once a week - but again I am trying to maintain my weight not lose any more - the sf/lf is all about calories - cuz it all boils down to calories in vs calories out to lose weight.

IMHO - if someone want the full sugar stuff and higher fat foods in lesser quanities and are still losing weight and it works for then - go for it ...

For me I like the sf/lf stuff and it works for me...

Hi Sherry,

I am new to the forum and just starting my journey. It appears that your insurance moved rather quickly in approving you for the surgery. What insurance do you have and how was the surgery?

My b-day was August 12th, so I was drawn to your post. :-)