Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do we follow a LF/SF diet after banding?

I see that almost every dr. recommends a low fat, sugar free diet after banding. Why is this? If the band helps us reduce our portions, why wouldn't we eat a "normal" diet with more of an emphasis on Protein? I'm especially curious why it is so strongly emphasized during the first few weeks of surgery. I have seen so may people get irritated b/c of stalled weigh loss due to too few calories, and I wonder why we are not told to eat regular pudding, milk, etc. to keep the calories up to a level that will allow weight loss (1000), plus give us a little more energy to heal. I realize that the first few weeks are for healing, but if they could be for healing and weight loss, why isn't the plan geared toward that? I'm curious what fellow bandsters think. If you have been banded for a while, do you end up sticking to a very lean, sugar-free diet or do you end up doing a modified "normal" diet? I am kind of not looking for any "because my doctor says so" answers, but more of the reasoning behind the suggestions and what ends up happening in real life, particularly for those who end up losing 60% of extra weight or more.

I think everything and anything can be eaten in moderation. The LF/SF option is a guideline. I think it also depends on what are own personal issues are as well.

We will certainly be ingesting less calories with smaller portions. However, I think the LF/SF is a move to steer us towards healthier food options. Lean meats, fresh fruit and vegetables all fit into this category and should be the basis of our diets. We now have limited space to take in food and we don't want to fill our pouch with high calorie, high fat or sugary items.

In the beginning, I did end up modifying my diet to eat closer to 1,000 calories for weight loss because I did stall at 800-900. However, I didn't want to use up my calorie allowance for the day on just a few things, so I ate LF/SF options. I have lost more than 60% of my excess weight, but I do so by making sure I get full at meals and I couldn't do that by making poor food choices with higher calories and still be satisfied.

For me sugar free does not mean loaded with aspartame. I have trouble with eating low fat, because it makes me constipated.

I eat normal, healthy foods. I avoid processed foods, I always eat REAL food (butter instead of marg etc, i NEVER eat deli meat, buy real meat at the butcher and cook it at home).

I have lost 77 pounds in one year. Perhaps I would have lost more, by substituting sf/lf "diet" foods for real foods, but for me it was not a choice I was willing to make.

For me it's about a life decision and my "life diet" won't involve high sugar/high carb choices. The occasional indulgence is going to be normal at a party or a function but overall my life will be about low calorie and healthy choices and frankly, lean meats and fish, fruit and vegs and whole grains is just a healthier lifestyle. I gave up soda for tons of Water and though I feel :smile: with all water guzzling, it wil become habit and be better for me. I look forward to craving healthier foods and opting for low calorie and low sugar in my normal life routine verus gritting my teeth over a menu.

I think we are all kind of saying the same thing. We are making healthier choices, eating fresh real food. Naturally by doing that we end up eating less sugar and fat than we did pre-band.

I think eating all those sf/lf substitutes, such as diet soda, diet ice cream, SF Jello, SF puddings, low fat salad dressing, weight watchers Desserts etc etc is a NOT the way to a healthy lifestyle.

For me getting banded was all about a change in lifestyle as Airforcewife said. Since I eat dessert so rarely (less than once a month) I just eat half of the portion given. When I look around at my normo friends, that is what they do.

Maribelle, congrats on getting banded.......this is gonna be an awesome journey.........start saving your pennies, in the near future you are probably gonna wanna buy yourself one of these flat stomachs

I haven't lost 60% yet, but during the first few weeks after surgery, I did eat things with sugar and fat. I did it to keep from getting dizzy and weak. But I think the reason doctors stress that is so we will develop healthy eating habits. For some people, if they start out eating full sugar and fat foods, that may make them keep eating like that, and that wouldn't be good. But if you can tell yourself it is just temporary, I don't see a problem with it for the first few weeks after surgery. I do eat sugar free now. I don't have a problem with artificial sweetners. Some people do, and it is a personal choice. As far as low fat, I don't eat low fat or fat free Salad Dressing and things like that, because they are actually worse for you than the full fat. They often are loaded with soduim and sugar. So you have to be careful with low fat and fat free. I would suggest start reading labels to know exactly what you are getting. I do eat lean meats, mostly fish and chicken, but I will eat beef on occasion. I do sometimes drink tea sweetened with sugar, but I never drink a full glass of it. I mostly drink Water.< /p>

Interesting topic. I agree with many of the replies here. I am not a long time bander either, nor have I lost 60 %, but I will honestly tell you that when I lose, it's always following a higher calorie day. I choose the regular items over SF/LF every time. My portion size is so small now, that I would rather have quality! I enjoy the taste more of the regular stuff. Now if I want a sweet, then I will choose SF/LF. I don't want to add the extra calories, so I'll sacrifice the taste because I'm still satisfying my sweet tooth.

~Carol

I truly believe that staying away from sugar in all forms helps to curb cravings. I love sweets, but know that once I indulge it is hard to stop. I was banded on 7/2/08 and have lost 35 pounds by following a low carb plan as much as possible. I also believe that fats in moderation help keep the skin looking better. Drinking lots of Water helps as well. Good luck on your journey. :smile:

I truly believe that staying away from sugar in all forms helps to curb cravings. I love sweets, but know that once I indulge it is hard to stop. I was banded on 7/2/08 and have lost 35 pounds by following a low carb plan as much as possible. I also believe that fats in moderation help keep the skin looking better. Drinking lots of Water helps as well. Good luck on your journey. :smile:

I totally agree! :frown:

I take the sugar free/ low fat in to consideration, but I look at the whole food label. If the low fat or sugar free has more sodium and carbs then I pick the regular one. I have also noticed that on some of the sugar free and low fat items the protien is cut somtimes by almost half. I go for the overall protien and sodium levels more than the sugar and fat.

I also feel that all of the artifical crap in our food is why more and more people are having trouble with weight and becoming diabetic. Our bodies weren't made for all the chemicals that they use to make food tast like the real thing. just my opnion.

My doc had no rules about SF. The nutritionists stress lean protien first, followed by vegetables, fruit, and complex carbs. If there is any room, that's the time to think about sugar. As other people have said here, I think the idea is to get patients eating healthy foods as a rule. Especially people who may have subsisted on fast food, soda, and sweets. Occassional lapses are okay and part of life. What matters is what you do day after day after day.

I LOVE Dove dark chocolate. I find that eating a small portion (less than half an ounce) at the end of the day brings the same satisfaction as eating something with 10 times the calories. Now, I enjoy the whole experience (smell, texture, taste). Before, I would have eaten 2 ounces without even knowing they went down.

Dark chocolate has lots of antioxidents and is beneficial to BP. The same is true with nuts - lots of antioxidents and monounsaturated (good) fats. The key is moderation, which is where the band (and some will power) comes in.

I read somewhere that you should never do something to lose weight that you are not prepared to do for the rest of your life to keep the weight off. I thought that was wise. I am not prepared to live a life without chocolate (or other yummy things), so I am thankful each day for my band!

This is a good question. I was told that I "could" eat anything I wanted, just less, post op. (most likely, of course). I am going to have to see. Dieting wears on my soul; that's why I've never been 100% successful at it. Sure I've lost, but then gotten tired of the regimen and gained it back. So I plan to "eat healthy" and so on but am not going to obsess about it. Life will go on. If I lose more slowly, so be it. If I wanted to count calories and chase down the latest LF or SF or FF product, I would've just stuck with weight watchers, which has a great program. My dream is to break the hold food has on me...to put away the scale, weigh only at my doc's, eat less, and slowly shrink down to a more normal size. Fretting over every bite sounds like more of the same old thing I always did.

WOW!!!!

Thank goodness!

I have expressed most of the very same views and have been bashed (not here, elsewhere).

But I have seen comments here about SF/FF lifestyle and supposting it(and not being all that tactful and kind to a more NON SF/FF lifestyle)

I'm sort of in line with a poster above, only I can't to the "ols" and splenda. Any of the "ols": maltitol, sorbitol, etc plus sucralose send me straight to the restroom...and you'd better stay clear because it is SUDDEN....

Although I do drink things with aspartame in it that is to avoid empty calories form my drinks. Yes, I am drinking more water......

I can't tolerate the ingredients in FF foods either. Give me a smaller portion of real cheese, milk etc.

I grimmaced when the Nutritionist showed me the lists of approved foods and drink all filled with fake ingredients to make them either SF or FF.

These are people trained in nutrition..surely they cannot believe that all of the ingredients are healthy.

Aside from the distasteful side effects of Olestra, I do not know if FF ingredeints are as harmful as some of the artificail sweeteners. I do know that I do not like the texture, taste of FF foods.

Anyone know of a FF cheese that is good, I mean REALLY good tasting? I'd be interested if you did.

Plus, a FF diet does not always equal low calorie. Here's an FDA link Fat-Free vs. Regular Calories Comparison

One of my earliest reads here was someone stating something about not being able to eat salads and fruits etc and "well, you didn't eat like that and get so heacy anyhow..."

Well, I DID eat that way, mostly healthy foods, fruits veg, lean meats just toooo damned much of it.

I'll find ahealthy balance. I hope to be able to still eat fruit.

Beans have become a new favorite in this house. The chili recipes seen in this community are FABULOUS.

I think everything and anything can be eaten in moderation. The LF/SF option is a guideline. I think it also depends on what are own personal issues are as well.

We will certainly be ingesting less calories with smaller portions. However, I think the LF/SF is a move to steer us towards healthier food options. Lean meats, fresh fruit and vegetables all fit into this category and should be the basis of our diets. We now have limited space to take in food and we don't want to fill our pouch with high calorie, high fat or sugary items.

In the beginning, I did end up modifying my diet to eat closer to 1,000 calories for weight loss because I did stall at 800-900. However, I didn't want to use up my calorie allowance for the day on just a few things, so I ate LF/SF options. I have lost more than 60% of my excess weight, but I do so by making sure I get full at meals and I couldn't do that by making poor food choices with higher calories and still be satisfied.

I agree 100% - this is how I lost 100% of my excess weight - Plus you gotta add exercise in the mix too..

I also weighed and measured food and kept a food diary for the 1st year

Kraft makes fat free and low fat cheese. I usually eat the low fat. It is good. I read somewhere once that the only fat free and low fat foods you should eat are dairy products. Anything else that is fat free is usually loaded with sugar and salt to compensate for taste.