Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have hiccup problems?

:unsure:I've NEVER been one to have the hiccups- maybe once every 5 years or so. Now, maybe 6-7 times a day, I'll hiccup. It's just one hiccup. It's kind of weirding me out. It's not too painful. I'm on day 5 after my surgery. Has anyone else had this or know why it could be happening.

yes i have had them. im on day post op. and i had them every since day 2 post op. i get them after i drink maybe 3-5 oz of something. another member on here said they got them when they was getting enough in there pouch. mine doesnt really hurt much. i was wondering the same thing, how many people get them. oh, and i dont get them everytime i drink either.

jason r

JasonR,

I also have the "hiccup". I find that I have it after I eat or drink more than a sip or two. I kind of laugh and figure that it is my body saying okay I'm full. But it is very weird.

The technical reason for a hiccup is that it is a spasm of the diaphragm. It is likely that the hiccups that you all are experiencing is a direct result of things settling back into place after having been moved around during surgery, and the gas moving too. This all exerts pressure on your diaphragm with might cause a single spasm or more. The hiccuping after drinking or eating is probably just a reaction of your esophagus and/or stomach moving a bit and shifting things in the same way. I would think that walking and deep breathing seem to be the cure-all advice for this as well as the gas.

You guys are awesome! I don't know ANYONE who's had this surgery so when something weird happens like the hiccup thing- I'm not sure if I should worry or not. Now I know it's no big deal. I love this website. I'd be hysterical without it since my doctor really didn't tell me anything. He tells me to ask any questions but who knows which questions to ask?! I see on this website that most of you are much more knowleadeable than me. Thanks.

Ok Jason, you were banded a day after me. I have a question. I have these things over my incesions, they look like tape. I was told to let them fall of by themselves and they're still there. How about you? Do you have this "tape"? I forgot to ask what type of sutures the doc was going to use.

You guys are awesome! I don't know ANYONE who's had this surgery so when something weird happens like the hiccup thing- I'm not sure if I should worry or not. Now I know it's no big deal. I love this website. I'd be hysterical without it since my doctor really didn't tell me anything. He tells me to ask any questions but who knows which questions to ask?! I see on this website that most of you are much more knowleadeable than me. Thanks.

Nena, I think that it's really neat how we can all learn things and be supported on this board too! I'm lucky that I work at a University and have med and physiology folks in my family so I drill them with questions constantly and then jump back over here as soon as they tell me "why". Why, why, why...I'm sure they just roll their eyes when the phone rings sometimes, but I don't care :smile:

Ok Jason, you were banded a day after me. I have a question. I have these things over my incesions, they look like tape. I was told to let them fall of by themselves and they're still there. How about you? Do you have this "tape"? I forgot to ask what type of sutures the doc was going to use.

i wish i could help you on this. but i got staples and then they just put heavy duty band aids on there. and i was told to just take them off when i took a shower in the next 2 days. they came off real nice with warm Water and soap.

i would suggest calling your doctor and just to make sure you are suppose to wait until they fall off.

sorry i couldnt help anymore.

jason r

They are steri-strips - which are put over the stitches. Yes, you are supposed to let them fall off by themselves. I ended up getting glued shut, but they had explained the stitches/steri-strip instructions to us at my pre-op class. You are not supposed to get them soaking wet either - they can get wet, but dab them dry afterward. Hope this helps. I had surgery on Aug 26. I have not any hiccups. I was told to sip 1 oz of liquid every 15 minutes to avoid gas and air. The couple of times I have forgotten and drank more, I have gotten a gas bubble.

Pam

I had the steri strips also, and they will slowly release and fall off by themselves in a few days, I think mine took about a week.

I don't have hiccups but oh my goodness do I have the burps! I burp constantly for about an hour every time I eat. Thank goodness they are small and quiet!

haven't had hiccups as of yet and i am 4 days post op but for some reason i can't feel my port. Is that common, also when i take a shower or do just about anything i get short of breath and tired easily any suggestions?

Jackie,

I was banded on the 28th. I cannot feel my port for sure, prob because they stitch it to the muscle, under the fat. You are probably getting tired and short of breath because of the pressure on your diaphragm from the gas they pumped in to you. Even if you don't have major gas pains, there can still be a little gas pushing on you. Don't forget too...you did have major surgery. Hang in there and we'll keep an eye on each other as we heal together!

I was just about to post about this. I am getting the hiccups all the time since surgery. I like you only get 1 at a time, but they happen all day long. I am so glad we are all getting them. I was starting to think I was nuts.

Lanakila I was unable to feel my port for the first 4 days after sugery. Then I was feeling around and found it no problem. I think it just takes time for the swelling to go down before you are able to feel it.

I have the clear Patches of tape also. I had 5 and all but the one over the port site has come off already. I don't have any stiches so I guess I was glued also, and taped.