Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would it hurt if you ate regular sugar? I really can't stand the taste of Splenda or any of that SF stuff. Is the reason for sugar free simply because it will prevent weight loss? I would love any feedback.

I think that is the very reason. We are not supposed to experience "dumping" like those with a gastric bypass. However, I have chosen to do the sugar free thing, and after about 4 weeks of no sugar, I had some real topping on sugar free ice cream. A half hour later, I was RUNNING to the restroom in Walmart, barely making it in time. I have now learned to do without it, and it does make me sick to have it. One really, really good source of sugar free satisfaction without the aftertaste of all the sugar substitutes is sugar free dark chocolate. Trader Joes makes a good one, and all I would do is allow one square to melt in my mouth. It was heavenly and it satisfies my needs!

the reason is the amount of calories and that fact that sugar is addictive. I personally just sacriface the calories cause i don't like the after taste either. There are some things that are sugar free that don't bother me like Jello and some ice creams.

I believe it is because going sugar free is supposed to be good for weight loss. However, like anything else, used in moderation it might be OK. I think all the sugar subsititutes are also not healthy for you if you ingest too much of them.

Sugar can definitely up your calorie intake substantially, even if you are only ingesting small quantities. Sugar also easily affects your blood sugar levels causing you to have highs and lows that may make you feel bad or initiate cravings. Eat sugar and you will probably not lose as well as if you had avoided it.

You don't have to use sugar substitutes at all if you can get used to not ingesting sweet things. I never have sugar in my coffee and I like it that way.

I refuse to eat sugar substitutes. They taste horrid and they give me massive headaches. I personally think they're poison. I don't drink crystal light or anything like it. Just Water and milk. I just don't eat sweet stuff except fresh fruit, but on the RARE occasion that I eat something sweet, it's the real deal. I do it so infrequently, and such a small amount, that I don't feel it's going to sabotage my weight loss efforts. I don't have an uncontrollable sweet tooth, so I guess I'm okay. I also have a problem with tricking my body and it having to react to and process SF products just like real sugar when there's nothing there..... It's taxing on the body, and can trigger pancreas problems. I don't want to go there. You're tongue does not know the difference between SF and real sugar. The "sweet" message goes to the brain, and the body reacts in turn, but if there's nothing there to process and you have an insulin dump with nothing to burn, you've done yourself a disservice. If you do this over and over again to your body, it can't be good for it.

It's for weight loss. However, I don't eat that sugar free crap. Aspartame is just gross. Splenda is ok, but I still try to avoid it.

I just don't eat a lot of sugar.

I've found I can't eat the sugar-free candy. Some of the sweetners they use can have a laxative effect. I have no problem with Sweet'n Low or Splenda. Sugar-free Lifesavers made me spend part of a movie in the bathroom.

Well I am happy to hear I am not the only one who hates SF crap. I think I will just try my best to avoid all things sweet. I just wanted to make sure it would not hurt my body in any way to have real sugar.

I am with you guys on the SF crap.

Ever notice that the only people that eat/drink that stuff are FAT?

All the skinny peeps I know eat/drink the REAL stuff. They eat it in moderation.

Since I want to be skinny NOT fat, I think I shall emulate the skinny folks!

All the skinny peeps I know eat/drink the REAL stuff. They eat it in moderation.

I agree. If I want something sweet, I think about it, and if I can afford to eat it on that particular day, I just do.

However, as a general rule, I dont need to find SF alternatives becuase I just plain dont eat that sort of thing. We never ever eat dessert for example, unless we have guests, so I dont need to think about SF pudding or Jello or whatever. Those foods just arent a part of my diet, actually they never were so that's been easy for me.

The areas where I used to eat a lot of sugar were Cookies, muffins, cakes etc. I've given them up for the most part, occasionally I may pig out on them, lol, but they're not part of my daily diet. I dont drink and never have drank soft drinks such as coke, and I like regular coffee, not all those frothy concoctions, have never been a milkshake drinker either.

So although I would say I had a sweet tooth, as I love chocolate, cookies, etc I guess I havent had a lot of foods in my diet that have had to be cut out or replaced with SF alternatives.

Given that, I dont worry about eating the real thing when I want to.

I have never thought of sugar and what it does to your body the way you put it. I don't do sugar free food, but I do add it to my coffee, tea and lemonade. I don't drink other sugar free stuff, but have to have at least 32oz of lemonade a day for my kidneys. I don't like real sugar in my drinks and never have.

You've hit the nail on the head. theres nothing wrong with sugar or any other food in mederation. Those sugar substitues are not only crap as you say but IMHO dangerous - straight out of a chemistry set.

Splenda puts me in the bathroom for most of the day.