Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone in SE Oklahoma

I am having my band on the 29th of August and have been experiencing all kinds of fears and being very scared. I am from the se part of Oklahoma, 54 years old and a teacher. I need someone who is going through this or is fixing to go through the band.

Hey Okie, What part of se oklahoma are you from? Where do you teach? I am not getting banded i"m here for my hubby. we're from the talihina, clayton area. What doc is doing your band?

Hi For Billy:

I live in Tushka, Oklahoma, but I teach at Antlers High School. I know where Talahina is. Have been there. I am having my surgery done in Juarez, Mexico by Dr. Rodriguez. I have had several on this site to tell me he is very good and the facilities are great.

Has Billy gotten his band yet? If not when, and if so how is he doing?

Billy:

I don't know yet. I have a list, but I believe I have to wait to get all the records and take with me. I guess I will find out tomorrow.

It's a small world, I will definitely let you know how it turns out and how Dr. Rod is. I have been told from someone else that he is awsome and the facility is like a 5 star hotel.

Do you know who our follow up and who is doing your fill?

Boy I am feeling the nerves. Terri just called me and she informed me that I would be the first banding tomorrow. I am to stop all eating and drinking tonight. ohmy ohmy ohmy ohmy:eek::tt2::eek::thumbup::eek::eek::eek:

Hi For Billy:

I am back from Juarez and I got my band. It was a good experience and I was impressed with the facilities and the doctors. I am feeling pretty good, except for gas and soreness. But that is to be expected. I went in on Friday and got there about 9:30 a.m., and as soon as you get to the hosptial they start right away. First with x-ray, then give them your money and sign papers, up to your room, start the IV, cartogram, paperwork, and wait to take you in to surgery. I went to surgery at 3:00.

My hubby and I stayed until Sunday, Dr. Rod would not let us leave until then. My flight was to leave Saturda, but we got it changed.

My band is a 10cc band with a maximum 4cc. They put 1 1/2 cc in during sergery, so I have some fill now. I can tell its there when I eat, because I get full very fast. I have to be on a clear liquid for a week and then full liquid. It's not bad so far and I have already lost 5 lbs.

Please keep me informed on your journey and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Are you going by your self or do you have someone going with you. In the group that was done that day (8 of us) there was one gentlemen and he did great.

Hope to hear form you soon.

hey okie,

so glad to hear you had a good experience.what kid of band did you get? Billy is going to get a inamed band I think it is suppose to be a 14cc band. I dont know if he is going to want a fill before we leave or not I hope he waits, I think we can go and get one after he heals. My husbands surgery is the 12th we are both very excited!! Have you found a fill doc here yet? We found a couple one in arkansas and one in garland tx either one is the same distance for us. Let me know what you find. Again congrats and let me kow how you are.

Hey For Billy:

Glad to hear from you. I have been given the names and numbers of several doctors in the OKC and Tulsa areas. I haven't chosen one yet.

As for the fill there at the hospital. We did not have a choice. They make that choice in surgery. Sometimes the band will not fit and they have to add the fill to get it to stay put. As for the size and kind I did not know what kind or size until after I was out of surgery. I think they make that decision onced they see the size of the stomach.

I am doing good today and have lost 7 lbs already. Please feel free to ask me anything you want to. If I can help alievate any fears I will try.

Pam

Pam,

what docs in okc and tulsa are you looking at? And hoe much do they charge. the one we found in ark is 400.00 with fluro the one in tx is 300.00 with fluro. I dont think they like to deal with mex patients They both seem nice but I know they dont charge thier u.s patients that much. let me know what you find out I guess we have plenty of time since we cant get a fill for 6 weeks. But i like to be prepared.

Hello, I am from Tulsa. I had my surgery here in Tulsa by Dr. Gorospe. However, Dr. Kirk does the fills. He is in Owasso - which is just north of Tulsa.

Dr. Kirk does a lot of fills for Mexico patients and he is absolutely wonderful. I believe the charge is $250 or $300 WITH flouro. That is the only way he will do a fill is with flouro.

His number is 918-272-6333.

Sunshine2: Thanks so much for the reply. I have an appointment with Dr. Kirk on the 29th. He definitely takes Mexico patients and his fee is $200.00 and the hospital charges another $200.00 for the use of thier facility.

The office ladies were very nice in answering my questions and at this point I was happy to get an appointment.:tt1:

Pam

Pam - you will love Dr. Kirk, he is so nice and funny. But, the bad news is, he does take a lot of paitents so when I go get a fill, its about a 2 hour sometimes 2 1/2 ordeal. So plan to be there a few hours.

The prices have went up then, I thought he told me one time he charged $150 and the hospital charged $100, but sounds like its a bit more.

I am going to see him tomorrow. I was going to cancel it because I feel I have pretty good restriction, however, I'm going to get just a tad more, I'm talking just a few drops. Hopefully this will be my last fill.

Sunshine2:

From the looks of all the information at the bottom of your forum, you have done excellent. I congratulate you on a job well done.

Can you please tell me what is the process of a fill? I am completely in the dark. My port site is still alittle sore, but looks good. I cannot see the port, therefore, how do they fill it? Do they go through the skin with a needle, or what? I do like being in the dark and not be really for the procedure. Really glad to know that he has a bed side manner and is funny. That helps relieve a lot of anxiety.

I am at the three week stage, and I feel like I can eat anything, and my appetite has really picked up. There are times when I think I can eat a horse. lol... My appointment is the 29th of September at 1:00 and I can't wait.

Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it lots.

Hope you are having a good day.

Pam

Pam,

I totally understand what you are going thru, I remember feeling the same way. It is quite normal for you to be hungry at this time. Most people feel the hunger until the 3rd fill.

I was worried too about the fill my first time, but it is not that big of deal at all.

When u go in, Dr. Kirk will give you a shot to numb the port area - that shot feels like a little bee sting. He numbs the area up good, then he will find the port under the flouro (xray machine). He will then inject the saline in the port area to fill the band, he will have you drink some some yucky tasting stuff that he can see go thru and see how fast it goes thru the band, this is where he tried to get you adjusted just right.

My suggestion is as soon as you leave, go ahead and make yourself another appointment because it takes about 4 or so weeks to get in. More than likely you will need another fill, most people do.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll be happy to help.