Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to site

I found this site while looking for info on dilation of band. Found it to be very informative.

I was banded in Sept 2006

I had a good wt loss 1st 1 1/2 yr but last 6 months gained 4# & did not realize the acid was an indication of band dialation. So last week they emptied the band & will start refilling in 4 weeks ( hopefully) I'm 69y/o & this was the best thing I ever did, I received a lot of good information from this site. Thanks Bev

Hi

I just found this site a week or two ago... I am going to be 60 and I am having surgery Sept 3rd. Please tells me some of my pain in my knees is going to go away!

I had gone to the doctor about my knees before surgery. I am now 4 months out and 30 pounds less and my knees feels better. Not perfect but much better.

My knee pain totally went away. Had knee and foot pain initially and they both are gone now. I mean, hello....I just unloaded 8 10-lb bowling balls off my back!!!! The thought of carrying that is boggling!

Hi All,

I'm 51 and just banded on 10/2. Surgery and 1st week went well. Was up and walking (for exercise) on day 4...(short walk with the dog!). By day 8 I'm walking 1 to 3 miles each day!!

I'm in the right "state of mind" right now, eating mostly liquids, though I don't feel ANY restriction, at all. I'm having creamy Soups and Protein shakes, with some chicken noodle Soup for a change - chicken goes down with no problem.

I've lost 4 pounds since the operation, but I lost 7 the week leading up to my surgery. I was wondering about exercise, as I'm pretty active and would like to get back to some biking and exercises for strengthening my core. When did any of you start to include more strenuous exercise? I have done a little too much a couple of times and have had soreness in my stomach the next day.

Thanks, this site is great, and I've lurked and found a lot of great info and ideas!!

PNWal :)

Lord you have more energy than I did at that time. Of course I will admit to being very lazy after surgery. Not a good thing. When I went back to work I was standing for a solid 8 hours, was wearing bad shoes apparently and screwed up the balls of my feet. Warning for all don't get lazy. My doctor said easy exercise the first six weeks. Walking, elipictal, biking , easy stretching all could be done. (NO I didn't do it and paying the price). I can't walk really long distances but am getting back to normal. I have been swimming and biking. You have to remember to let yourself heal. They (the doctors) played around alot on the inside, shifting things and your bodies need time to regroup. For the most part the only pain/ache I had was at the port incision. Never did have to take pain meds. Good luck to you on your journey.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, SueAZ! Sorry to hear about the issues you had after surgery.....in some ways I have the opposite problem - I will push myself too far, overdo it and suffer the consequences :-( It's something I'm working on because if I suffer an injury from overdoing it, then I can't exercise at all!! So far, so good. I appreciate your comments.

All the best,

PNWal

hang in there sue.... you will be fine. I have been banded for 3 months now and do not regret a second. you have many many friends here... please keep us posted

Actually I am so very glad I had the surgery. I am at my lowest weight in 30 years. I'm pretty much back to what I was before except my feet ache a little more than before. I am trying different shoe things that the doctor suggested, but that's not going to stop me from doing anything. I am glad that my knee pain has pretty much gone. YEAH. Going to really Celebrate and am taking a cruise in the caribbean next week, even bigger YEAH. Some how the food won't be a focus, being in a swimsuit and feeling better than I have in years. A kind of non scale victory I guess.