Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"The Last Supper"....

Since I signed up for the surgery the beginning of August for September 18th, I have been having the last supper...I can't tell you how much I'm waiting for this surgery...I've put on 6 lbs and I havent' started the pre-op yet.

Let's get some feedback...how long did your last supper last...what did you eat for your last supper....and the ultimate, how much weight did you put on because of it. And let's be fair..."The Last Supper" is up until pre-op diet.

Hi - I know just what you are going through. Ever since I got my date for surgery, September 30, I've been eating like it's my last meal. I've put on 9 pounds since June. :) It's almost like I'm mourning the food I'll not be able to eat the rest of my life. I've been surfing this forum looking for tips on what to do about this. :) My surgeon said he would like to see me down in weight before he sees me again on September 16. I sure would appreciate any words of wisdom from all of you experienced bandsters out there.

I had a week between the time I knew I was approved/scheduled and the time I had to start my liquid pre-op and I ate all of my favorite foods and drank my Diet Pepsi right up until my first day of liquid diet. I had buffalo wings and mozzarella sticks one night, Gyro the next, pizza from my favorite Italian Place...you get the picture. I ate MacDonalds and all my favorite fast foods.

I was like Simon and got it in my head that I won't be able to eat these foods for the rest of my life so I may as well get in my last fix...now three months post-op, I realize that I can still eat these foods, just not every day and not in huge quantities.

I gained almost five pounds in that "last supper" week but they came off--and then some while on the two-weeks liquid pre-op.

I've heard this called the Farewell Tour, but as I go on through this process I have learned that you don't actually have to say goodbye to your favorite foods. You will still be able to eat them, just not gorge on them, which is the purpose of the band.

My major piece of advice is not to leave quitting coffee, soda and empty carbs until the beginning of your liquid diet. It's tough enough to adjust to without having to deal with caffeine withdrawal and carb withdrawal headaches. I weaned myself back slowly and will be forever grateful because the liquids have been tough.

My major piece of advice is not to leave quitting coffee, soda and empty carbs until the beginning of your liquid diet. It's tough enough to adjust to without having to deal with caffeine withdrawal and carb withdrawal headaches. I weaned myself back slowly and will be forever grateful because the liquids have been tough.

That is what my nutritionist suggested too but I think it depends on the person. I have always been an "All or Nothing" type of person, I can't just cut back or wean off I have to just say enough. I did it that way with smoking and also with the bad carbs and the caffeine. And I quit all of these vices within 3 weeks along with surgery!

I ate things that I didn't think I would be able to eat after getting the band. pizza, steak, sticky dumplings, hamburgers, and sushi. Since getting the band, I have had pizza and sushi without any problems, and I can eat burgers without the bun. I haven't tried steak yet.

Enjoy yourself. It will most likely be weeks before you can eat regular food again.

You know, I think this 'last supper' is pretty common. I had about a week and a half notice before my surgery. So excluding the pre-op torture week, I had about 3 or 4 days notice. I didn't really gain any weight though because I was already eating at max-capacity. I did, however, go out for steaks the night before the pre-op diet began and considered that my official 'last supper,' since I can't really eat steaks now.

Good luck with your surgery :eek::rolleyes:

I think everybody does the Farewell Tour! You go into panic mode thinking "oh no, this is it". Just remember that you will be able to eat those foods again, but in moderation.

I was put on my post-op diet before I went in for surgery. I lost 20 lbs and felt great going into surgery. I don't really miss those foods, I know I will get to eat them in moderation again. Except for the really greasy stuff, right now it doesn't even sound appealing!

Enjoy the next few weeks, because you really don't get to eat whole foods again for sometime after surgery! I agree with Lanakila, I would start weaning off the caffeine, etc. You don't want to do that all at the same time when you switch to liquids, that phase is hard enough!

Regarding caffeine - I would start ramping down well before surgery, but don't quit completely if you have a bad habit. I used to have about 8-10 caffeinated sodas a day, and over four weeks I cut that to two. One week I tried to drop all, but if I went below two I got terrible headaches and couldn't stay awake at work. Then, I dropped those two after surgery, because the week after surgery I had a whole week at home, by myself, to rest and take naps when I needed them, and it made dropping that last bit of caffeine much easier.

And, sodas taste awful to me now - I took a swallow of my husband's diet Coke yesterday, my first since surgery a month ago, and it was disgusting! I thought maybe it was bad, like not enough Syrup or something, but he said no, it tasted good. I can't believe I used to drink that almost all day long!

What she said :rolleyes:

I didn't do this and had terrible, pounding headaches due to caffeine over consumption. I was really, deeply regretting it while prepping for surgery and having such a miserable headache but not being able to take anything for it.

Banding is not the end, only the beginning. We all, including myself, went through this stage. You want to limit it however because it can have a negative effect on your liver which is the last thing you want to do directly before surgery.

I am starting to wonder how much of the pre-op diet is trying to fix the "last supper" damage we inflict on ourselves. Without this diet, how many of us would have overloaded on fats/carbs/etc from our final indulgences the day before surgery???

Don't say farewell to your favorite foods, because you can eat them again. In fact, they will probably be even better than before because you take the time to eat them mindfully and they taste so much better this way.

I had the last supper going on also. My surgery is 9-9. I had gained 7 lbs. since May when I went to see my surgeon 2 weeks ago. My liquid diet starts tomorrow officially(8-26) but because of my weight gain, they put me on it two weeks ago. Just told me to up my portions some, which I did. So...I've been doing liquid during the day, but eating supper (just moderately) until tomorrow. It has worked though, because I haven't felt completely deprived. And.. I have lost some of the pounds I put on. The bariatric nurse told me as far as liquids, to go by the "stage 2" diet but that I could also have eggs with cheese and oatmeal.< /p>

And, sodas taste awful to me now - I took a swallow of my husband's diet Coke yesterday, my first since surgery a month ago, and it was disgusting! I thought maybe it was bad, like not enough Syrup or something, but he said no, it tasted good. I can't believe I used to drink that almost all day long!

Wait just a daggone second here.

You have to quit sodas when you have a lap band??? :tt1::confused2::lol::smile2:

I had Olive Garden fettucini alfredo, Logan's chicken fried chicken, pizza Hut thin crust with bacon and extra cheese, Alamo Cafe cheese enchiladas, and homemade biscuits and gravy. I managed to keep it under control though, I had slim fast/lean cuisine meals all day and one of my favorite meals for dinner over the course of a week and while I didn't lose any, I at least managed to not gain.

Wait just a daggone second here.

You have to quit sodas when you have a lap band??? :w00t::confused2::tt1::smile2:

That seems to depend on your surgeon. My surgeon said no more soda ever, but I read where other people's surgeons said none the first year. I was told no soda because the carbination can stretch the pouch. I would follow whatever your surgeon says. :lol: