Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Urban Myth or Truth???

You guys probably think I sit up nights thinking up goofy question - nope - they come easily to me :biggrin2: I read or heard somewhere that you can get a card after you have been banded and in most restaurants it will allow you order from the kid's menu. Also... 25% off at Souper salad. Anyone know anything about this?

its true, but most kid's menus are garbage. (chicken fingers & fries?)... what i do when we go to restaurants is order a meal and automatically ask for a to go container. i immediately put 2/3 of the food in the container and it lasts a few days.

lately (cause i'm pretty tight) i just order Soup and have a bite or two of what my DH is eating.

edited to add, it is TOTALLY the restaurant's prerogative to decline the use of the card.

My friend had GBP last year and her doctor gave her a card to order off of the kids menu. She said she always forgets to ask about the discount but normally eats off of her husband's place or gets something al la carte.

I don't know if my surgeon passes one out because I've never asked but I probably wouldn't order from the kid's menu anyway. The foods they offer aren't normally something I would eat anyway.

This "card" is it the card stating that you had a lap-band procedure done. I did get one of those from my surgeon after my surgery. But I assumed it was only for security at the airport in case something made it go off. I guess you could try and use the card for a food purchase. I just get an appetizer or a meal and take half of it home.:(

When I went in for my 10 day post-op appointment the nurse gave me a little packet from Allergan. In it was a "Patient's Guide to Living with the Lap-Band System" and a wallet-sized card titled "Lap-Band Medical Information". It has a place for your name and your surgeon's name and phone number and says, "This person has an Adjustable Gastric Band implanted around the stomach to assist in weight loss. Caution should be taken when prescribing potentially ulcerogenic medications or performing any gastric or abdominal procedure. Maximum fill volume is 10 cc." That information is repeated on the back in French, German, Spanish and Italian (I think).

Perhaps this is what you have heard about. Maybe the other band systems have something similar. I'd be interested to know if there is something else out there, too.

Hello! The card is real, I was given one to put in my wallet after surgery. I believe they are a fairly new thing, as my surgeon's office just started handing them out.

As for the discount...your post, and one I read yesterday, is the first time I'd heard of it. I can't imagine that's too common (at least not where i live).

i had to attend a nutrition class before i could get approved for surgery. after completeing the class they gave me the card. It says: "Comprehensive Weight Loss Management (thats the name of the program Im getting surgery through) 'This person is a patient of the Comprehensive Weight Management Program who has had bariatric surgery. The surgery reduces the size of the stomachto a half cup capacity. Please allow this person to order from the appetizer, children's or senior menu, in that small sizes are critical to care. Thank you.'" Now my fiance and I usually go to the same few restaurants and the people there know us pretty well so I havent had to use it yet. But the seniors menu is pretty decent and usually has healthy options. If your surgeon didnt give you one after surgery ask them for one when you go in for a fill or make one for yourself, the card I have is just a business card. I laminated it to make it look a little more official.

Thank you all very much. I am not planning on ordering chicken fingers and fries but some of the places that my family eats at have children's portions. I will take home half if I am headed home but I will ask my doctor about the card. Again - thanks for the replies!!! Becky

At my consent visit, the nurse gave me a packet of information and in this packet was a card. On one side there is emergency information and on the other side it states: "Dear Restaurateur: The person whose name is on this card has had a special surgical proedure that restricts food volume to approximately one tenth of normal adult consumption. We would greatly appreciate if this persons meal can be portioned and purchased at a reduced, senior or child price. We thank you for your cooperation and understanding." The nurse said that, in my area, there are many restaurants that will honor the request.

When I left the hospital after my banding, 1 of those cards was in the folder they gave me. I haven't used it yet though.

Yes I have heard of this. I know my surgeon showed me the card that I would get saying I had gastric band placed. But someone showed me one of the cards here online. I'll try to upload it on here.

post-244559-13813137505077_thumb.jpg

I two cards, one that states I have had lapband and I can't have an ng tube etc and then another that is for restaurants. I haven't used it yet though.