Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many fill visits a year on average?

Hello,

I was banded in Mexico so I have a little different situation than most. I have a choice between two doctors and I am trying to decide which is best or more economical. One has an "unlimited visits for a year" package deal. And the other is cheaper per visit. But the more visits the better deal for the unlimited.

I saw the poll for the sweet spot and it looks as though the majority is 5+ in the first year. I am just trying to get a feeling for how many to expect.

How often do most of you get filled in the first year?

How often are cases where you got filled and returned the next day to change it?

Thanks for your help!:wink2:

That really depends on your Doctor and on your own weight loss.

I have been banded sixth months and just got my third fill, there are many people who were banded the same month I have that have had 8 some even more. Some only one or two. One lady gets one every three weeks, some every six, some every eight.

It varies.

That really depends on your Doctor and on your own weight loss.

I have been banded sixth months and just got my third fill, there are many people who were banded the same month I have that have had 8 some even more. Some only one or two. One lady gets one every three weeks, some every six, some every eight.

It varies.

Thanks for your input! The thing that makes it hard for me is the nearest doc that will touch me is a couple hours in a car...BUT one of them comes here once a month. I am thinking (others out there your input is more than welcome) that because of that, at least for the first year I should see them no matter what when they come to town just to check my parts and make sure all is on the up and up. In which case the package deal is better. ????

Thanks again!

It depends on your size of band too.. I know people who get the small 4cc bands only usually need 1-2 fills ever... I've already had 5 fills in less than 6 months. I had to get 1 unfill and about to get another fill next week. It really is hard to gauge. Everybody is so different. If you are getting the 10cc or bigger band plan to at least get 4 fills the first year. But probably closer to like 6 or 8. This is just my guesstimation. If I didn't have this last problem where I swelled up due to stress, I still would be at my perfect restriction and wouldn't have needed this next fill.

Carrie, I don't know how the doctors decide, but with me I spoke to the surgeon the day after the surgery, and he just simply told me what size he put in. He didn't mention sizes to me before, only in passing and it was just to tell me about the bands.

I believe it goes by how big your liver is... but, from what I have seen with my friends and some folks on here, if you are over 300 lbs they tend to use the largest band of 14cc, but some doctors have put this band on people 220 lbs as well... but it takes them more fills to reach perfect restriction because the band is so loose. Of course, I was nearly 300 lbs, but he put a 10cc band on me and primed it with 3cc's of saline. In the end, it just depends on what your doctor prefers to use and how big your liver is. There is also the Realize band and I believe that is a 9cc band, but I could be wrong. My doctor prefers not to use that band.

Band size is decided by body mass,and size of your stomach and how much fat you carry in the midsection,BMI 45 or more typically get the big band.But some people have less BMI but carry most of their weight in the midsection.

Now as to the fills,on an average they say 3 to 4 a year,I think that is kinda low balling myself.Some doctors tend to give .25cc and .50cc so now I say depends on how aggressive your doctor is and how you lose and feel restriction.I think most people it is about 6 to 8 a year.

Amaltha-

If I were you I'd do my best to get established with a local doc...even if they're 2 hrs away. It makes getting adjustments much easier and in case of any problems at least you have an American doctor to turn to.

Yes, the first year you will have many adjustments...and maybe the second year, too. After that it will probably slow down a lot.

As for going in once/month "just to have your parts checked"....that is really not feasible. There's not much they can check other than Fluid level without xrays and fluro.... y'know?

Amaltha-

If I were you I'd do my best to get established with a local doc...even if they're 2 hrs away. It makes getting adjustments much easier and in case of any problems at least you have an American doctor to turn to.

Yes, the first year you will have many adjustments...and maybe the second year, too. After that it will probably slow down a lot.

As for going in once/month "just to have your parts checked"....that is really not feasible. There's not much they can check other than Fluid level without xrays and fluro.... y'know?

Yeah I decided to go with the one that is 3 hours away and satalites up here. If there is an emergency they will take me down there and other than that I agree totally...however, if you are paid in full for unlimited for a year...might as well take it.

All your input is wonderful. Thanks so much!:biggrin: