Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone. I have a quick question that I have not been able to get a clear yes or no from anyone...

I know that drinking alcohol is waasted calories and wasted room once banded, but I was just wondering if I will ever be able to go out and a drink with my friends ever again?

I am very serious about this procedure so please don't think that I am not. I just am curious if I will be able to have a drink at my wedding one day you know?

Cassie

weight.png

:confused2::cool2::mellow::smile2::w00t:

My understand is yes you can have an occasional drink. It will hit you harder than before the band and yes it is empty calories. Just no beer or carbonated drinks.< /p>

Yes, you can drink alcohol. Some people say it affects you much quicker with the band, so you are a cheap drunk. I have a glass of wine every once in awhile. I think beer might be kind of painful though w/ the bubbles and burping.

Trust me...I dont' think you're not serious for asking this question. Everything you point out is true. It's a waste of calories and blah blah blah. HOWEVER...this IS the rest of your life and it's important to know whether you're ever going to be able to take a drink again. MY doctor advised me to wait a year before drinking. But, then when I happened to see him out one evening and I tried to hide the Cape Cod I was sippin' on (yikes!), he said it was okay....you just can't get carried away.

No more college binge drinking...plus you know what's said about carbonated beverages, so no beer, no vodka/tonic or rum/coke....makes it kinda hard. My BEST advice (probably should be taken with a grain of salt) is to stick to MODERATE portions of wine or non-carbonated mixed drinks (liquor w/ juice, margaritas, etc).

Hope that helps.

In my support group last week alcoholism was brought up; evidently a lot of successful bandsters become heavy drinkers. This has to do with addicitive behaviors. That surprised me but it makes sense.

I have not found, personally, that my tolerance for alcohol has been effected. I have found, however, that I am MUCH more susceptible to hangovers....and I only had to make the mistake ONE TIME of drinking too much. Hangovers/Nausea/Vomitting....DOES NOT work well with the band. Hell on Earth would be a better option.

Edited by strangeratx
spelling

My wild party days are in the past, but I do like an occasional (very occasional) beer . Can we let it go flat? Why is some carbonation so bad? Does anyone know?

I have drank several time. lol I try to stick to drinking clear liqour like Diabetics. I am from San Diego, lol where they know how to party. I usually get some kind of fruit juice and make one drink. That usually lasts me the whole night and keeps me on a nice straight buzz.

I would not try to chance it with beer though. NO SHOTS either. Oh my gosh no shots. I took one once and when i burped some alcohol came back up with it and I was throwing up so bad. Everyone else is right, it hits you harder and much faster.

Good luck

I have occasionally had a beer or some soda. I have heard that the air bubbles can actually lead to the stretching of the pouch. Also, for some reason, the burps are Hellacious! If I take ONE SIP of soda or beer, I burp out this *amazing* symphonic melody. I mean, it really can be described as nothing short of spectacular. The kind of burp which any man would be envious of. Mildly reminiscent of "Booger" in the first "Revenge of the Nerds." I'm not even kidding. So, unless I'm in VERY select company, no carbonation for me!

Carbonation is bad because the gas that gets released in your upper pouch can stretch it...and it can be very painful. Too much and your band can probably slip also. I would say NO to all beer/sodas/champagne, etc. forever after being banded. If you think about it, your body doesn't NEED any of that anyway so if you are getting banded for a life change that includes all aspects of life.

Now for drinks - I usually take shots if I want a buzz or whatever because it's less calories, and you get there MUCH faster. Sometimes I may sip a margarita, but that's very rarely. Part of the banded lifestyle is changes that last forever. I used to drink Coke several times a day...I stopped drinking them 1 week before surger (5-2-08) and I haven't had one, or much of a craving for one since. There are many sacrifices to having a band and this is one of them.

My wild party days are in the past, but I do like an occasional (very occasional) beer . Can we let it go flat? Why is some carbonation so bad? Does anyone know?

If you let it go flat, it will get you even more drunk. Probably not a good idea. Carbonated is bad because it gives you air bubbles and can possibly stretch your pouch. I have found that if you sip, because i am a diet coke junky, and let it go slow and make sure you burp plenty, you will be ok. I have a diet soda once in a while though just to be sure.

Hollie....NO DRINKING!!! You're only 18!!!!!!!!!

Hell yes. If you can tolerate it, go for it. But, these are the restrictions: No champagne, no beer, no pulpy mixers like OJ... Have a pomegranite martini or a glass of wine. Another thing you want to make sure about is, don't get DRUNK! If you over drink and have a hangover, you are more likely to bow to the porcelin god the next morning... vomitting will make your stoma swell an this can cause serious problems. Also, know that you are taking in calories that you really don't want, but that's your choice. Lastly, if you have a tight fill, its my understanding that you don't want harsh (or hard) alcohol to sit on top of the band for too long. It can contribute to erosion.

So, my opinion is, enjoy yourself in moderation. Live your life and have fun. Go out with the girls and drink, but control yourself and enjoy now being skinny at the bar instead of the fat chick in the corner.

That brings up one more issue: Men will be buying you drinks too, so you need to learn to say 'no', or tell him you're ready for a Water... you have to work in the morning...

LOL

Thanks for all the tips; I appreciate the honesty. I do understand it's a life change yada yada but I don't need shots any more than i need beer LOL...I LIKE beer and usually just did shots to get drunk, whereas a beer is a social thing for me! And I actually hate wine. SIGH. But Strangeratx...(are in in Texas?) I will, maybe one day many months post op, in private, try to slowly sip a beer.

My aim (any more) isn't to get drunk. I know as I lose (and when I'm not eating) I'll get drunk more quickly; that's not worrying me. I just wanted a beer next summer! :smile2:

Restless...yep, i'm in Austin. I would say....even after all this great advice--definitely talk to you doctor and just be open and honest with him about your habits now and what you anticipate being your lifestyle (or the drinking aspect anyway) and make sure he gives YOU, personally, his direct blessing and consent. That way you know that you have advice that's suited to YOU, not everyone else here. Because as you can tell just from this little bit, everyone is different!