Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a kinked/twisted tubing situation.

I had it confirmed yesterday that I will have to have a second surgery to unkink/untwist my tubing. The surgeon wanted to see the twist himself and he said out of the over 2,000 patients he has had, he has only had 2 cases of this happening before mine. So I am waiting on his staff to get the surgery approved via insurance before we procede. He is just going to cut out a length of tubing and then re-attach it back together. I guess my torso was too short for the amount of tubing that was put in.

Fun Times! :smile2:

Good note is I have hit the 50 lbs lost point. I am counting the 10 I lost before the pre-op diet and everything after that! I am still losing even though I only have 2.8 cc in my band!

Hi rondawood63! Sorry you are going to have to have another surgery. How did you know you had a twisted tube? Did you have any symptoms or pain?

Good luck with your surgery and take care.

Well, we didn't find it until my first fill. The nurse handling it was able to get the first fill in by standing me up at an angle. She saw it then and stated that if we can always get the fill in and some retracted out I would be fine if it stayed kinked. Well, I then went for my second fill and it was a no go.... We got some in, but she could not retract any back out. So they stopped at only .8cc incase I got too restricted. They would have had to do more of an emergency situation surgery.

I think I know when it happened. I was driving to work on a.m. early (about 4 weeks post op) and I was getting ready to make a left hand turn (which I had done numerous times before). Anyway, I felt something kind of pull in my port area and for the next couple days that area was tender and then it went away. So I didn't think anything about it. Well the surgeon thinks that is when it twisted.

Just curious, if turning your body can kink the tubing with the band, then why would somone what to continue with this. All i see is people complaining that the port detached, the port is facing the wrong way, the tubing is kinked...if it is inside of you why wouldn't you ask for it to be tacted into place? Is it even possible? That would make me nervous if my own normal movements could cause such a problem

the surgeon said it wasn't the movement I made that made it twist. Just something in the abdominal wall or organs that caused it to twist and that I had too much tubing in my torso for my height. He also stated out of the more than 2000 patients he has done this surgery on, I was only the third person to have this happen.

I just see this as something that happened and I have to get it taken care of. I am not blaming the surgeon on this at all. It was a fluke and it happened to me.

Sometimes bad things happen and you just have to decide to go on or give up. I always go on!

My tubing is supposedly kinked too... I am self pay and can't afford the revisions surgery right now, but would be really interested to know how this goes for you. My last fill was this enjoyable experience of manipulation of my still huge belly, but I guess as long as they can retract the excess I am going to be fine.

Okay, my unkinking surgery was this last Wednesday, August 27th. It went well, except for being kept waiting for emergencies that were placed in front of me.

My surgeon used the same incision areas as before minus 2. So I only had 4 incisions. Surgery took longer than he predicited. I will find out this week why as I did not see him after surgery. He was called into another emergency surgery after mine.

Recovery was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier this time. I was push mowing my yard the next afternoon! :tt2::thumbup::thumbup:

I go for my post op appt this thursday to see how things are looking. And move on from there!

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the kinked tubing. I never heard of that before. How did the post op visit go? I had a 2nd surgery too, gall bladder. He reused 3 of my old incisions and one new one. Have been wondering how you were doing. Glad you sound like you are doing well now.

So glad to see this post.

I saw my doctor this past Thursday for my 2nd fill. He couldn't get a flash of the blue dye back out which is how he "confirms" the fill went well.

He did think he accessed my port and 1+ cc's went in band. He said when there is a kink; Fluid can go in, but won’t come out.

In 4 weeks I will see him again and if the same thing happens I will go in for x-rays.

I'm glad to see your recovery was easy!!!