Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nerves Kicking In

So my surgery is in 2 DAYS and my nerves are getting to me. I kep thinkin positive but the negatives always kick in sometimes. Like today looking on the site and seeing someone write "Dying on the Table" does not help. Anyways... I just want everything to go smoothly and me wake up from anthesia with no problems. That is my biggest fear is waking up for sure because never been under before...:blush:

Need some advice/encouragment

You are going to do great!! Anytime you have surgery, it is a little nerve wracking, but you are going to do beautifully! You may be a little sore for a few days, but it is sooooo going to be worth it when you are svelt and gorgeous!

It's natural to be nervous, so don't feel like you shouldn't be. You can take comfort in knowing that the anesthesiologist has only ONE job...and that is to focus on you. They are great! Be sure to ask as many questions as you like, and tell them you are nervous. They are in a helping and caring profession and they will be very reassuring.

Think about what a wonderful change this will be for your life. Think of the exciting things that you will be able to do! You'll be able to sit on a picnic blanket and get up gracefully. You'll be able to see a movie without worrying about the seats. You'll be able to dine (yes, dine) in a restaurant without worrying about whether the seats have arms on them.

Take a few minutes to read some of the wonderful threads about what people won't miss about being obese. Look at the before and after threads. Keep your chin up...and know that we are all here for you and that we understand :blush:

I know EXACTLY how you feel. My surgery is also in 2 days and I have the same thoughts. Last night I went ahead and wrote down all of our financial information and passwords for my husband as well as a short note to him and our children just in case. I know thats crazy talk but I'd rather do it than not. It wasn't anything long or drawn out, just a quick sentiment and the info he would need if anything were to happen. I'm a planner by nature.

I'm scared but I'm going to just believe God that this is going to be a good thing and that he will carry me through it. I'm so excited to start the next chapter of my life. I try to put that in the forefront of my mind. After all, when the Lord wants you, he'll take you, lap band or not. I could get hit by a bus 5 years from now, but at least I'll be healthier and happier for those 5 years after this. I'm going to cling to the scripture "For the Lord has not given you the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and a SOUND MIND". I don't know if you are a believer or not, but this is just what is going to get me through the next 2 days.

Hang in there. I'm sure we'll be posting about our Gas in a few days to each other! :wink2:

Two days out I was really nervous, too.

1 day out I couldn't believe that this time tomorrow I would be banded.

Morning of surgery was mixed excitement/nervousness.

Once they take you in to get prepped, everything goes really fast. My anesthesiologist came to talk to me and he was great (and cute!). I told him what had happened to me the one time I had anesthesia (I woke up with the oxygen mask on my face. I wanted it off but couldn't move, so I started to hyperventilate). He told me that if possible, he would use the nose one instead.

I went into the OR and was transferred to the operating table. The anesthesiologist put the oxygen mask with the anesthesia on my face and said "See you in Recovery". Then "all of a sudden" I'm waking up in Recovery, with the nose thing in, surgery over! It was very surreal, but it went smoothly and I woke up calmly.

Wishing you both the best!!!

My surgery was supposed to be on Aug 20th but got moved up to July30th. I had all of the same feelings that you are having. Things for me went off without a hitch. I was only in surgery for 35 min and the only problem that I had was being very dizzy and hot when I came out of anesthesia. You will do great. Good Luck

Your nerves are normal. Just look forward to the big change you are making for your life and how much healthier you will be for it!

Surgery will go fine. Make sure you ask questions in the hospital so you know what is happening. They are more than happy to answer your questions and make you feel comfortable.

Make sure you get your pain med prescription filled ahead of time if you can. Then it will be ready when you get home from the hospital, you won't have to make an extra stop!

Good luck, can't wait to hear how everything went!