Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

chest tightness

Since surgery on the 9th I have had a lot of tightness in my chest. It doesn't feel like gas, although maybe that is what it is? It feels like someone has a tight girdle pulled around my chest or maybe like a dwarf is sitting on it! Is this normal? there is no pain at all it is just a hugh tightness. Should I be worried? If it is normal when can I look forward to it going away. It is very uncomfortable.:crying:

I feel that too Jasmine. I had my surgery on Aug. 6th. I'm not sure what it is - I really don't have gas anymore. It feels like a shortness of breath or that I just can't get enough air into me.

Mind you I'm still in and out of the hospital with the Kidney infection so I've considered it the lesser of 2 evils. I'm going to see band surgeon tomorrow and will ask him.

Good luck and hopefully you get more answers.

My doctor told me the tightness in my chest was from my diaphragm (sp?) since it sits right next to your liver and stomach and might have been pushed or slightly bruised. but who knows.

Jasmine - Will let you know what my doc says.

Roheryn - thanks for asking - Last night was my first good night's sleep in a long while....the pain is lessening and I'm able move without the stabbing pain on my left side...I feel like a new person this morning!

i had the tightness in my chest and labored breathing for the first few days, then it went away. i thought it was the gas?

Since surgery on the 9th I have had a lot of tightness in my chest. It doesn't feel like gas, although maybe that is what it is? It feels like someone has a tight girdle pulled around my chest or maybe like a dwarf is sitting on it! Is this normal? there is no pain at all it is just a hugh tightness. Should I be worried? If it is normal when can I look forward to it going away. It is very uncomfortable.:Banane37:

I had surgery on the 7th and have had the same tightness, this has been my biggest problem since the pain went away after the 3rd day except at the port. The tightness was at its worst when I would lay down and try to go to sleep. The first couple of nights it was almost a panic situation where I felt I could not get a breath. I quit eating at about 5 pm last night and only had ice chips thereafter, this helped me get to sleep. I usually feel my best in the mornings and feel good today. I am still on a clear liquid diet. I go to the Dr. tomorrow and am certianly going to ask about the tightness.

I have the same problems, was banded on the 7th. I called the nurse regarding the pain, and breath shortness and I also have nausea. She said it was mostly from gas and bloating and that my weight gain. Almost 20 lbs. was due to the fluids and the gas I received during the surgery.

Today a bit better, I think it's mostly gas and now my stomach is very empty and making loud noises. I walk around and that helps. But I'm still really tired. I have my 1 week appointment after surgery tomorrow. Hope I can get something for the nausea.

I also got on the scale and I am down to 207.5 even though my stomach is bloated, you an see it, my arms and legs are thinner, looks very strange believe me. I look like a pumpkin on sticks LOL.

I hope that boating goes away soon had to wear my ugly pants when I went out to the store today. UGGGGG.

Also I have had a bit of diarrhea, it's horrible and smells even worse, have a metalic smell and my mouth tastes that way, I wonder if that's from the Protein shakes. It's pretty disgusting.

Just hope I feel better soon. This is a bit rougher than I thought it would be. But since I am older than a lot of people here I chalk it up to being old LOL.

Take care

Pati

It sounds like you are progressing well. I have not been out yet although I will be going to the Dr. tomorrow. I have been taking short walks to the mailbox and an evening loop around my block. I hope my thightness is on the way out. I think I was prepared for the pain from the surgery but not the tightness. I am trying to drink at least 4 protien shakes a day (2 oz. each) but usually get only 2 to 3 down. I think because I was a cash patient I fell through the cracks as far as any orientation that was offered before surgery. I have found a support group at one of our local hospitals that will start up in September, and I plan to go to that.

I have the same thing. But I had a hiatal hernia fixed at the same time as my lapband. So that adds more to the diaphram as the hiatal hernia forms in the diaphram.....

Thanks for all the feedback. It seems to be a little better today (day 6) I also am self pay and got me surgery in Italy. My doctor has even given me his cell phone number but it is still nice to hear from other people that are going through the same feelings. I broke down to my husband yesterday freaking out that I had made a bad decision..maybe I could have done it on my own for good this time, etc.. (Yeah right). However after I had a good cry I felt alot better and realize that it had only been 5 days since surgery and of course things will get better. I woke up this morning feeling better already. Still tightness but not quite as hard to breath. I actually had enough energy to make avacado Soup and play a game with my kids.. things are looking up! Oh and I guess it can't hurt that I have lost 11 pounds since surgery!

I saw my surgeon today and it was quite enlightening. I asked him about the chest tightness and he said that was normal until my body got used to the band. In particular, the pain/tighteness on my left side was because I had a hernia repaired that required 2 stitches (normally just 1 is needed).

As well, the placement of the band's (he showed me the pictures) fastener was on the left side which was also why there was pain - he said all would be ok once my body became used to the new addition.

He also said that my liver was great and that it was easily moved and stayed out of the way....he showed me pictures of my operation and then of an operation where the liver wasn't as healthy. He also talked to me about how much more difficult it was to place the band on the patient with the bigger liver. Needless to say the pictures and the discussion really hit home how important the pre-op diet is....I am very very very very very happy I followed the diet! AND those of you still on pre-op should follow yours too!!!

I also had my last IV antibiotic at the hospital today (YEAH!!!) and will now begin oral antibiotics. Hopefully I'm on my way to a healty kidney too.

I have had the same thing also, if I dont prop myself up in bed, I cant breathe properly.

My chest has felt very tight, but today it's starting to ease off.