Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OUCH!!!! it does hurt!!

well i had my surgery on aug 11th and here i am. i did it! but let me tell you my experience because all i read about in this site was how painless and drug free this postop time is. now don't get me wrong i don't regret my getting the band at all. :wub:for some reason i just remember reading about how some people only needed their pain meds once. Not me! When i first woke up was the worst part of it. I wasin pain and i could hardly move and yet they were asking me to roll around for an x-ray! :mad2:the sholder pain is the worst. i think i remember people saying it's b/c of the port but whatever the reason my left side hurts and makes it hard for me to breathe. :lol: now as long as i take my pain meds i can knock out and just sleep through the pain. Now i hope not to scare anyone and again i don't regret it. just telling it like it is. :crying: on a better note i have been drinking Water and beef broth with no probs of nausea. juat a little nausea due to the anesthesia first day post op.

again i hope i don't scare anyone:blushing: but maybe for those who are thinking they might be back to normal 2 days out.... well just don't plan on it because we are all different.

I had the diff breathing for a couple days. It will get better. I had to take the pain meds for 3 days, and am still now once a day taking the liiquid tylonal. Just move slow and get lots of rest.

I was lucky my doc doesnt do the barium swollow/xray after surgery anymore.

I was also banded on the 11th and didn't expect this pain at all. I stayed over night in the hospital hooked up to a morphin drip which was nice and the nurse kept telling me to press the button more and more and that is what it is there for. I am heading to the pharmacy now to fill my scripts for pain...Thank good. I couldn't sleep at all last night so hopefully tonight is better

Heather

Mmmmmmmm...morphine....

Morphine, good friend :crying:

I like to think I can tolerate alot of pain, but I'm just not interested this time. I hope that they give me the good stuff and that I can just knock out all night. I have to stay in the hospital overnight, so good drugs will be helpful in getting me a good night's rest in a strange bed.

If I had been able to stay overnight with heavier meds this would have been much easier. I'm not so sure the going home a few hours later is a good thing. Having the IV so I didn't have to worry about getting fluids in would have made a huge difference, and yesterday my pain was so bad. I do wish I could have stayed, but it's done now and I am feeling better today. Still not good but better.

I'm right there with you. I stayed overnight in the hospital and was really glad I did. Just having the bed that did the lifting was such a help. And yes, I had plenty of pain and I don't regret one moment of it.

Today, I am 1 week out. The pain and bloating were really bad for about 4 days, but I'm feeling better now. I'm just taking the medication at night - it really helps me sleep straight through.

I think that perhaps the doctor put weights into my belly because I actually gained 7 pounds! No worries, I knew immediately that 7 pounds in 2 days isn't real weight gain. Just bloating. Those pounds are gone now and took several of it's friends with it.

All in all, I've just laid low for the last week. Spent a lot of time in my recliner chair with a pillow watching the Olympics. I am now actually able to spend some time at my computer and am feeling like I am really on my road to recovery.

Yep, it hurt! I was outpatient. Surgery at 7:30 home by 11:30. I used pain killers for 2 1/2 days. I'm glad I am done and didn't know how much it would hurt!:Banane37:

Hey everyone! How long does it take for the bloating to calm down. I look pregnant....hehehe....

That stinks they shipped some of yous home that quickly! They asked me if I wanted to stay another night...One was enough...The whole team of doctors kept checking on me every hour to see if there was anything I needed.

I just got tynenol with codiene. I just woke up from a nap with it. I had to drive my son to my moms because he was out of control today!

thanks for your honest post. i have to admit i was a lil shocked to come home i was banded yesterday and see that i had gained 8 lbs ??? wtf ? i am figuring it is bloat and Water weight so i am trying to be optomistic. The pain meds are only a temporary fix it is still very painful although i font regret it

talk again soon

deb

Thanks for sharing your experience with us it does help up to know how different we all are and how each one of our bodies deal with different things.

I do congratulate u all and hope u all start to feel better soon.. I believe I might be having my banding done around October depending on the insurance timing. I am only planing to be out a few days I pray I am able to deal with this and able to return to work soon , lucky fo rme I work for a doctor and he knows I am thinking about doing this procedure so maybe I will be able to come to work and get what I need to do done and go home I am the office manager so I should be fine.

again good luck to all of u newly banders and now the process begins remember we are sometimes stronger than we give our selves credit for.

Becky in Austin, Texas :Banane37:

thanks for your honest post. i have to admit i was a lil shocked to come home i was banded yesterday and see that i had gained 8 lbs ??? wtf ? i am figuring it is bloat and Water weight so i am trying to be optomistic. The pain meds are only a temporary fix it is still very painful although i font regret it

talk again soon

deb

It's all the fluids they pumped into you. Keep drinking and it will go away fast! A week later and I don't look pregnant anymore. My friend who is 4 months pg and not showing was jealous!!:Banane37:

The swelling will go down in about a week. I am finally looking back to normal, just a small bit of swelling at my port incision. It will get better every day ladies! Just hang in there. It is amazing how each day you feel better and able to move and do more. Just keep sipping those liquids and taking those walks!

This is probably my main worry for the surgery is dealing with the pain afterwards. I have pretty horrid reaction to Morphine of Vomiting vomiting vomiting, in fact a few of the pain meds I've tried after surgery have led to the same thing. I hope they can give me something for the pain with enough ANTI nausea stuff to combat my reaction

This is probably my main worry for the surgery is dealing with the pain afterwards. I have pretty horrid reaction to Morphine of Vomiting vomiting vomiting, in fact a few of the pain meds I've tried after surgery have led to the same thing. I hope they can give me something for the pain with enough ANTI nausea stuff to combat my reaction

If you vomit as a reaction to a drug you need to let the doctors know that! When they ask you if you have any drug allergies, your first answer should be "yes, morphine makes me vomit." There are too many classes of pain drugs available for you to have to take one that makes you sick!

If an antibiotic/cold medicine/birth control pill/cough Syrup made you barf, you'd ask for something else, wouldn't you? Remember...you are the customer. If they cook your steak wrong, send it back to the kitchen :biggrin:

Oh I will definitely be telling them...I have already sent in the stuff to the hospital and I think I forgot to add it to that but I'll be telling everyone I vomit on Morphine and Pethedine! I will even hang a HUGE sign around my neck if I have to. :biggrin:

I just don't want to have to test the "what pain med will make Lisa vomit?"