Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ahhh HELP!! IS THIS NORMAL PAIN?

Ok so now that im a new lapbander im having these HORRIBLE pains on my right side....Dr says its the side of my port...i cant feel my port but i havnt much tried because it hurts to touch on that side. The side with most the incisions doesnt hurt at all...so whats my major problem?

I been takin this medication the Dr gave me that i have to shoot up my nose and it knocks me out and makes the pain go away....but now anytime im awake the pain is here.....it reminds me of when i had my c-section...only hurts when i standup and if im walkin around too much...so standing up and sitting down are hard for me...

Anyone else have this problem? How long does it take to go away? Any suggestions?

I felt like crap for the first 2 to 3 days...I pretty much just took the medication my Dr gave me and slept. So don't worry. He probably cut through more muscle around the port because mine hurt too. But each day it got better and by day 3 it was just sore (like I had exercised).

I'm sure you will feel better in a couple of days :)

But if you see swelling or it smells bad...definitely go right into the emergency room!

It's normal!! You just had 5 or so holes poked in you, and not just cuts, ALL the way through every layer into your body cavity. The port side will definately hurt for longer...for me is was very tender for at least 2 weeks, then slowly got better. The rest of the area takes a few day. By mid-next week, you will feel great. Get a flat pillow, or a folded flat sheet and keep it pressed across your belly when you stand and walk. It keeps everything from jiggling so much, which helps.

Hey, how 'bout taking your pain medication and sleeping? What's wrong with that? What else do you need to be doing except recovering? Huh? Okay, it's important to sip and walk in between knock-outs. And I know you don't want to take more pain meds that you need. But this is what, day 2? Didn't you come home yesterday? Give it a minute. No prancing around just yet!

Krystal....the pain is normal. Everyone has pain to some degree. My port side, I sound like a boat, is still a little sore and it's been 5 weeks for me since surgery. The first few days are definitely the roughest so don't hesitate to use pain meds if you need to. Heck, nothing better than sleep to make that pain go away. Take care of yourself and remember...no lifting for a while. Becky

Krystal..

I had terriable pains in my left side...for days....starting probably about ohhh about two weeks after my surgery!!! I swore that something was infected, or blocked up or something. I ended up going to an emergent care center, and then finally to see my surgeon. I couldn't take my pain meds cause I was back at work. I couldn't walk hardly and the pain had me doubled over. I am good with pain, but this really killed me!! I thought constipated, I thought gas...then I though holy crap there is something really wrong. Well, when I went to see my surgeon, he told me that its everything healing...the muscles and stuff....and nerves.....everything getting back to where it should be basically. He told me to take some liquid Motrin and that would be okay for a few days. It wouldn't hurt my belly or band just for a couple of days. Know what...a day and a half after I saw my surgeon.....The pain stopped, and all has been good since!!! My port is located right above my belly button....The pain was all the way down on my left hand side, right above my hip bone. I had a small incision there too, so most definately thought there was something wrong...but nope...I was and am all right. Surgery is a scarey thing. Its also an expensive thing...if you ever have ANY concerns absolutely contact your surgeon...thats why they are there.

I hope you are feeling better soon! Its horriable being in pain! Its scarey!

TTYL

hey Krystal, I would be going in to see my Dr. if you are still hurting..

Has anyone else heard of having your port on the RIGHT side? I thought everyones was on the left.. with the big incision...

Let us know how you are doing...

Im still in pain today...really really sore. My big incision is on the right and all my little incisions are on the left. I see the Dr on Thursday so im gonna try and hold off until then. I cant do any lifting and i cant hardly bend over....still hurts to go potty from sitting and standing from the toilet.....i get some chest pains too but i think thats mostly gas...i dunno.....but today i weighed and im 359 so ive lost 4 since the surgery....

If you continue to have that much pain, I would call and see if you could get in a little earlier. It is not natural to be hurting so bad that you can't move.

Krystal, I think you should call your Dr. just to see what he says and so he will be aware of the pain you are having. Once you talk to him he can determin if he need to see you sooner. Just take care of yourself.

I called my Dr and the office told me that pain is different with everyone. They said i should be just fine and to take the meds he has given me. They said one of the patiants that was banded on friday was back to work building decks on saturday....is that crazy or what!!!

So i go into the dr on thurs and hopefully by then ill be able to drive...because right now these meds are kickin my butt!

Hi, I have two connections to what you are asking about:

1) My port is on the right side. (that makes at least two of us) :alien

2) 2 days after my surgery, my pain was getting unbearable, and the narcotics weren't doing anything. In searching these boards, one of the moderators (I think it was either "Xirth" or "Captain Midnight" made the comment:

TAKE YOUR MEDS! TAKE YOUR MEDS! TAKE YOUR MEDS!

And later in the thread, what he explained was that the narcotics work best (or only) when you stay AHEAD of the pain, not when you are trying to catch up to it. So what he meant was Don't try to be tough and deal with the pain. Just keep yourself medicated, and the pain will go away. So, with that advice, I went through almost 2 bottles of Vicodin, taking 1/2 of the max dose, twice as often (1 tbs every three hours instead of 2 Tbs every 6 hours). I even had my wife wake me up every 3 hours if I was asleep, just to make sure I took it. Otherwise, the pain would "get ahead of me" and it was terrible.

That's all I've got for you. I hope you do well. The first 6 days, for me were hell. Just expect it and know that it does get better.

(and a lot of us, no doubt, will keep you in our prayers)

Best, Brad

Hope your feeling better Krystal. Do not have any suggestions that have not already been given..