Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Afraid?

Well, my surgery is 8 days away and I find myself getting a little scared when I think about it. I have two small children and a husband who need me. I need them. I'm so afraid that something will happen to me in the surgery. I'd hate to have something happen and then people think that I put myself in this position for vanity. I know its healthier for me to have this done and it will lengthen my life if I loose this weight. I'm just scared. I love my family so much, I just don't want to leave them. Crazy or not, I'm thinking of writing them a letter about how much I love them just in case.

Is that irrational? I can't talk to my DH about it because he'd say great, call it off. I don't want to not do this, I just want to be sure I'll be ok. Does that make sense? Anyone else scared? Anyone banded already this month that dealt with this?

My surgery is also in 8 days and I have the extreme nerves too. Im only 21 and have so much more ahead of me and the thoughts do run through my mind as well!!

Well, my surgery is 8 days away and I find myself getting a little scared when I think about it. I have two small children and a husband who need me. I need them. I'm so afraid that something will happen to me in the surgery. I'd hate to have something happen and then people think that I put myself in this position for vanity. I know its healthier for me to have this done and it will lengthen my life if I loose this weight. I'm just scared. I love my family so much, I just don't want to leave them. Crazy or not, I'm thinking of writing them a letter about how much I love them just in case.

Is that irrational? I can't talk to my DH about it because he'd say great, call it off. I don't want to not do this, I just want to be sure I'll be ok. Does that make sense? Anyone else scared? Anyone banded already this month that dealt with this?

I'm right there with you. Trying not to freak myself out and yet I tend to "go there" without meaning too. I've been married to my DH since I was 19, almost 21 years, and we have a beautiful 2 year old DD. We adopted her when she was an infant and in fact picked her up directly from the hospital when she was 2 days old. We waited a long time for her and went through a lot before becoming her parents.

It scares the crap out of me that something will happen and I won't get to see her grow up, she'll lose her mama and DH will have to deal with all of this. He's a fireman, so he'd have to hire a live-in nanny, make sure she sees "my side" once in awhile, raise our daughter on his own basically, etc. I KNOW he could do it. He's very capable and fully involved with DD on every level BUT dammit, I want to be there too! I mean, that's the whole POINT of the surgery!

I just turned 40 (7/26), my surgery date is 1 month after my b-day (8/25). I'm doing this b/c I'm starting to have problems on top of starting with a BMI over 40. I don't want to be 50 and can hardly move, on multiple meds for high BP, can't walk b/c of the spurs in my foot or can't breathe b/c my asthma has gotten out of control, etc. I'm doing this to take action before it's too late, to get healthy for me and my family, so my DD doesn't have to listen to the kids tease her about her fat mama (I know, my mom was fat most of my life), I want to be able to take her on trails and hikes, to Yosemite and keep up when we get out of the truck (we live JUST south of there, like 20 minutes from the gate!), go camping and NOT spend the entire time in a chair while DH and DD are off having fun, to just plain be active on a daily basis! She wears me out! This is as much a defense againt exhaustion as it is for health!! :unsure:

I'm planning on writing letters as well, DH, DD and my mom. I haven't done it yet b/c I'm having a hard time with the idea of it but yet really wanting to do it as well. Crazy in the head, I tell ya!

So, after all of that, yes, I'm going through the same thing you are. Next week will be busy as I'll be getting ready for surgery the following Monday and that will help some. I have work stuff that needs to be done ahead of time, things to show the secretary, in case something does happen or I'm just out of commission for longer than we thought (I'm our church's bookkeeper, I do all the payroll, employee taxes, bills, etc.). I have things here at home that need to be done as well. And I'll need to pack a small bag for the hospital. I'm thinking that on Friday or Saturday, I want the 3 of us to go do something, away from home, for the day. Maybe a trip to the park (Yosemite), we haven't been in awhile and it will calm me.

Okay, need to go. Sitting here tearing up regarding the topic. First time I've done that! Need to get some work done before DD gets up anyway. Take care and hang in there. We ARE doing the right thing, for us and our families. It IS natural to be a little freaked out, it IS surgery after all. We WILL be fine and we AND our families will be the better for it.

Sorry for the length! I "talk" too much even in cyberspace!! :D

Inee - Yes, it is natural to be scared. I am 3 days away from my band date... I keep reminding my self that this is a health issue, a disease, not a vanity issue. I am 48 with a great skinny wife and two super boyz 19 & 14.

I also wrote a private letter to my wife.... we are all experiencing the same emotions. I truly feel that the surgery will be the easy part. Post -op discomfort for 2 weeks.... then the fun begins on learning to eat properly...

We are doing the right thing, trust in yourself.....

Gary

Hi,

I also have been feeling very nervous about the surgery as well but try to keep reminding myself that in the end I will be healthier. My surgery is 6 days a way ... :D I am trying to get everything in order in the house for my DH. I wrote out all the checks to pay all the bills for then rest of the month and put them in the order they need to be paid. I have cooked him meals and froze them so that he can just pop whatever he wants in the microwave. I have thought about writing letters to him and my parents but have changed my mind. I am a strong believer of positive thinking and look at what I have prepared as just a way to make my return home easier. I am actually more nervous about all the changes that are going to take place then something going wrong during the surgery. Part of what has kept me focused is all the shopping for Protein drinks, and soft food and a new blender...

All best to all the August All Stars...

Please keep me informed of how your are all doing..

P.S.

I am looking forward to the shopping for new clothes..

Thanks you guys. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Heartfire, thanks for sharing all that. Nice to know someone knows EXACTLY how I feel.

Josie, you make a vaid point. I wonder if that is being negative and I shouldn't do it? I was going to do it, give it to my mom and tell her just in case. If I'm fine, tear it up and never open it. Negativity or preparedness, I just don't know yet. I haven't started it, now I'm torn on whether or not I will.

Ok, I'm going to go make a new thread on what have you done to get ready. I haven't done a thing!

I am 9 days away from surgery and like everyone else those scary thoughts creep into my head. I keep reminding my self that if I dont get my weight under control I could have a stroke or heart attack that could kill me too. I tell myself that the odds that my weight will kill me is greater than the lapband. Good luck everyone!

I was scared to death the week before my surgery.

Right before surgery a weird thing happened. I was so stressed out about what was about to happen to me that my heart rate dropped to about 45 bpm. For me, when I get stressed or in shock or really scared my heart rate goes down not up. (happened before when I was almost killed in a car wreck) so that goes to show you are not the only ones who are afraid. It is natural and it too shall pass and yall will be fine! :crying:

Believe me when I tell you this. No one was more scared of surgery than I was.

Every fear and thought all of you have mentioned ran through my head EVERY night for weeks before the surgery. Every night I woke up at like 2 am telling myself I am not doing it.

Well, guess what, August 5th at 7:30am I did it!

It was a piece of cake. This surgery is down to a science now a days.

I dont know your beliefs, but ask God to take your fear level down. I went from a 10+ to like a 2 when it came time for the actual surgery. I was calm, cool and collected, and I went into the operating room without the happy drugs!

Dont sweat it. Keep reminding yourself this, your going to take a quick nap and when you wake up, you can begin life!

I was right there where you are now. The surgery was a piece of cake. The doc was done in about 45 minutes. It is fairly non-invasive, yeah every surgery is a risk, but this one is pretty in and out. Especially if your doc has a lot of experience.

Easy for me to say now! I would write the letter if it puts your mind at ease, but don't get to worked up, you will be fine and in bandland in no time at all! I wish you all the best of luck - you will be so glad that you go through with the surgery. Hang in there!

Thanks you guys for the encouragement. I prayed before I was even approved for the Lord to only let me be approved if its going to be a good thing. So, I'm going to trust that it is!

I know I'll go through with it when the time comes. I'm just scared. I guess its because I love my DH and my kids so much. Thats the only part that scares me, not being with them anymore.

I felt exactly the same. Prayer helped calm me down a lot as well as a post on another thread. She said to remind yourself this is just another day for your surgeon. He/she has done probably thousands by now. It is no big deal to them so we shouldn't let it get to us so bad. Anyway, I hope it gets better for you all.

yes, i feel the same way.im about 13 days out from getting banded. and i also have 2 little kids and a wife that depends on me. my wife lost her mom back on feb. 8. of this year. so death is still in are mines. i have alot of r.n.'s in my family so i hear all the stories every weekends. i was thinking about writing a note to my wife, but i still dont know. i know im in great hands with dr.miles. he was the first doctor in alabama to do the lap band. and has done over 450 since then. and to this day never lost one person. so i will keep praying and trust my life to him and the lord.

good luck to everyone. it want be long now.