Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm being careful to chew but I am 14 days post op. Have handled every food I've tried. I'm now starting my soft dental diet. And I'm allowed shredded meat, soft bread, etc. I'm eating a tuna sandwich (one slice of bread, lots of tuna, diced pickle, small scoop light mayo)...Shouldn't be a problem right? Just paranoid about messing up my band. Has anyone ever FELT their band slip? if so, what does it feel like?

We were told by the dietician that we weren't supposed to have bread, Pasta or rice until 6 months after the surgery. At that point we could have 100% whole wheat only.....

Sounds like you are pushing your luck a little bit. There are lots of things you CAN eat because you don't have any restriction in your band yet - you won't have any until you go back and begin getting your fills. But just because you can doesn't mean you should....your stitches and your incisions are in the healing stage right now and need to be pampered. Any damage done to them won't be felt...but it will show up on down the road if food gets caught in the stitches. Please be careful and eat only the mushy foods for another week or two.

No, you are not going to cause your band to slip at this stage.......to begin with, it's not the band that slips. It is the stomach that slips up thru the band into the pouch. The new bands are not as likely to allow that to happen as the older ones (2 years ago) so hopefully that won't happen to you. Slippage is usually caused by projectile vomiting or extended periods of severe acid reflux or by damage done right after surgery by eating rough or course foods that pull stitches or get caught in the folds.

tuna is shredded meat and soft breads are OK so it sounds like it fits your plan. The only questionable item to me would be the pickles but only if there were not very finely diced. It sounds fine according to what you said your instructions are.

You should be safe if you are following your doctors prescribed diet. If you overdo it, long before you ever slip you will get other symptoms. Slips usually occur due to vomiting. An excess of saliva, called sliming, will occur and/or you may start burping until a little food comes up, called a pb.

My only suggestion would be to take it easy with the bread until you are sure what your tolerance is. You may find at one point sometime in the future that it makes you sick. I could eat bread fine before my first fill, then I just couldn't anymore without getting sick.

I have never heard of waiting six months to eat bread, but there are many different diets recommended by doctors. Your doctor know your medical history best. Whatever your doctor prescribes is the way to go :0).

well I'm assuming my doctor knows what he's doing, he was awarded the bariatric center of excellence award, operated on my mom, and has done over 1500 bariatric surgeries. My instructions were....one week clear liquid, one week full liquid/pureed food, one week dental soft, two weeks digestive soft/no grains etc., then I can go on a regular diet. I've already had a biscuit or two and tolerate them well. I had my tuna sandwiches and no sliming or pbing just a full feeling. And I did take small bites/chewed well.

Its unusual to be allowed bread 2 weeks past surgery. The fact that its soft bread, its still bread. If your surgeon has bread on the list, then not sure why you are asking us? Im just saying its very unusual to be allowed bread so early, but as we know every doctor is different.

I was just wondering if anyone had any problems with it.

I have no restriction, my first fill is next saturday.

As the poster above explained, its not that you are unable to eat things now, its that they could cause slippage of your band, thats why its not allowed.

There were no foods I was unable to eat from the time I got my surgery. I went thru a airport the day after surgery and not having that Mexican meal because I wasnt allowed, about killed me, but you can bet I could have easily eaten it. I just dont want slippage.

Im already concerned, my port moved last Friday. My surgeon says impossible and I called the fill doctor and she said as long as its only 90 degrees, she can get to the port, and Iv been following orders.

You asked us if we thought that was ok to eat, but you have obviously made up your mind if you can eat it, then it doesnt matter if its not allowed. Im worried about slippage and have read you need to take care of your band after surgery, so later down the line you dont have trouble with it.

I did have a taco, a week or so more down the line from where you are. I was still supposed to be on mushys for 4 weeks. Like you I could eat anything, but that wasnt my doctor's orders.

ok but...I am following my doctor's orders. I'm allowed soft chewable solids this week. I was just wondering if the bread would cause any discomfort. Obviously no. I am aware of the reasons why I shouldn't eat solids before I'm allowed but guess what? I'm following my doctor's orders. All of the foods are allowed on this week's diet. Thank you for nobody answering my question and instead just giving me a unneeded lecture.

the bread might cause discomfort....be really careful is all I can suggest...chewwww!!!! and take breaks between each bites. You may not have probs with bread a time before but you can have problems with it at any time. Be careful and good luck

I did reply to your question. I said I can eat anything. There is nothing I can eat. Iv even had subs from subway at this point, well we split a footlong 4 ways, but I can eat bread or any food Iv tried.

I asked you if you have a list of what your doctor considers soft chewable and if bread was on that list, still dont know, or if you just decided it fit the criteria. Im confused and give up.

Good luck to you. I wish you luck and wasnt trying to be argumentative, just to clear up my own confusion about what you mean when you say its ok with your doctor. He said bread specifically is a soft chewable food or not? Beats me.

Unless you are one who had a prefill or you had a lot of swelling from the surgery, you should have no trouble eating any food at this time.

I have had a pre-fill..I am at 3cc in a 10cc band. And yes white bread is on the list. I can't have whole grain or itlalian style bread like from subway...too thick/crunchy. I can also have tuna and other shredded meat. I cut back on the bread (one piece folded over) and mainly just put tuna in my sandwiches so I can get some Protein in.

I am a brand new member and just had my surgery last Thursday. I thought this forum would be such a good idea. The first posts that I am reading concern the tuna sandwich issue. I really don't think that answering someone with words like..."I don't know why you are asking" is appropriate. Obviously, the 18 year old writer wanted another valuable opinion and I do think she was given somewhat of a lecture. Is this normal? I am hoping not.