Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shake Question

I personally never cared for the taste or texture of most Protein Shakes talked about here. But surprisingly to me back at the start of my journey, I have ended up loving the slim fast optima shakes - they have a high Protein One as well. They're good on the grams of Protein but are a little higher in sugar - but only because they are made with milk which has natural lactose (sugar in it) - for anybody who was on south beach - its why we could have lowfat dairy products even though the sugar grams were high. the calories are under 200. I think it is the combination of dairy and protein that makes them so satisfying both in keeping me from getting hungry and enjoying them.

It has been 4 months since my surgery and I still have them occasionally if I need an easy, fast but nutritionally sound meal and especially on days after a fill when I'm tighter.

In fact I just enjoyed one for Breakfast today - I took a high protein creamy vanilla shake (my favorite) put it in the magic bullet with 1/4 c frozen blueberries, 1/4 c. plain lowfat yogurt and 1 packet splenda - it tastes like a blueberry cheesecake shake form a diner - not a Protein Shake.

I find many of the powdered drinks benefit from a packet of Splenda. The smoothie described above sounds much like what I make with vanilla Protein powder, skim milk, Splenda, and frozen fruit (your choice).

For ready to drink I like Worldwide Protein shakes. Cheapest at Trader Joe's if you have one in your area. About 160-170 cal, 4 carbs, 2 sugars, and 1 fat. It comes in 21 or 35 grams Protein. Trader Joe carries both in Vanilla and chocolate. In Maryland the 21's are $1.69 and the 35's are $2.29 each. GNC carries the 35's in Vanilla and chocolate but charges $2.99 each. The Vitamin Shoppe carries th 35's in all the flavors, which include Vanilla, Chocolate, banana Cream, Cookies n' Cream, and strawberry, and they charge $2.79 each. You can order the 35's online at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe.

it's been a struggle to find a palatable Protein shake. so many of them taste like, well, crap. after trying unjury and several brands sold at whole foods, i finally found one i like: muscle milk. i down a glass right after working out.

be sure to get the light version (much less sugar). my fave is chocolate (195 cals, 24g of Protein, 11g of carbs, 6g fat). i blender it with frozen strawberries and/or blueberries. it's pretty tasty and doesn't have that grittiness of other protein shakes.

you can find it online or at GNC. good luck

I am one week post-op today and have been on Protein Drinks. Before my surgery I did a lot of taste-testing, so I'd know what I'd like. And I only looked at RTDs. I didn't want to have to worry with mixing stuff up. Here are my suggestions:

Lean Body RTD Protein Shakes by Labrada. Serving size-17 oz; Protein per serving - 40 g; sugars per serving - 0 g. $3.49 each at Vitamin Shoppe. Flavors - Strawberries and Cream, chocolate Ice Cream, Vanilla Ice Cream, Bananas and Cream. I tried both the Strawberries and Cream and Chocolate Ice cream and I LOVE THEM!!:) They really taste like melted milkshakes to me. The Strawberries and Cream is very new, so it might be hard to find. Labrada Nutrition

Protein Blitz Fruit Drinks by Designer Whey. Serving size - 20 oz; Protein per serving - 30 g; sugars per serving - 1 g. $3.29 each at Vitamin Shoppe. Flavors - Grape, Orange Mango, Punch. Tried them all, LOVE them all. They taste like Kool-aid or Hi-C to me. The protein in them is a whey isolate, so they are clear drinks. A very nice change from all the milky things out there. These are a fairly new product. My GNC didn't have them at all and didn't know about them, but Vitamin Shoppe has them. DESIGNER WHEY - Protein Drinks

Pure Protein Shake by WorldWide Sport Nutrition. Serving size - 11 oz; Protein per serving - 35g; sugars per serving 2 g. $2.79 at Vitamin Shoppe. Flavors - Frosty Chocolate, strawberry Cream, Cookies and Cream, Vanilla Cream, banana Cream. I tried the Frosty Chocolate and Strawberry Cream. They were ok...not nearly as good as the Lean Body, but I keep a couple in my fridge because of their high protein count. They have 3.18 g of protein per ounce, Lean Body has 2.35 g of protein per ounce, and Protein Blitz has 1.5 g of protein per ounce, if you want to compare ounce to ounce. WorldWide Sport Nutrition - Products (click "protein" on the Products page)

Good luck!

Misty

Misty D65 Wow I am impressed with how much research you did! I plan to do the same. I suspect surgery will be the end of September and I will start making Soups the beginning of September. I got a lot out of the book Before and After. Thanks for the Protein Drink tips.

Wow such great information. I am scheduled for the lap-band in November and I too wanted to do some taste testing prior to the surgery to see what I did and didn't like, this info is sure helpful. Good luck to everyone :)

nectar has a fuzzy navel that I love and tastes awesome in orange juice or with the V8 fusion mango. Chike is very very good. They have vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, banana and orange. I love the banana and the orange ones. You can get single on the go servings, you just add Water or you can get the tub. I just got the Any Whey, but haven't tried it yet. Unjury is good also, but Chike is my fav.