Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What motivates you?

Help! I have stopped exercising and am a blob.

I'm not gaining, but I'm not losing either and I know it's because of lack of exercise. My hours changed and I haven't adjusted to it yet and I come home in BLAH mood - I just want to sleep!

How can I break the cycle? It's like the devil and the angel on my shoulders. One is yelling at me "get off your fat butt" and the other is saying "Sonic is open...it's quick, easy...you know you want it."

How do you stay motivated, and what do you tell yourself to get up off your rear? And does that work long-term?

Gloucester~ Find something you LOVE doing!

For a long time, I would go to the gym, get on the elliptical and do some weights. In all honesty, I got bored with that pretty quickly and stopped all together for a while. I had seen the Couch to 5K thread a lot and never bothered attempting because I didn't think I could do it. Well, one day I was reading the thread and a very close LBT friend of mine inspired me to give it a try. Well, I did and I LOVE IT!!! Who knew???

I now see exercise very differently than before. Before, I dreaded it and now I look forward to it. Find something you love to do, whether it be swimming, dancing, aerobics, walking, running, biking, or whatever! It doesn't matter what you do as long as you are moving and enjoying it!

I'm telling you....finding something you enjoy doing will change your view on exercise.

PS, listen to the angel. Get up and start moving! You can do it!!

:tt2: he he...right now I love sleeping!

Gee, what exercise can I do in bed that I love...lemme think.... lol

Okay - getting my mind out of the gutter and cruising on over to couch to 5k...

Guest Leslie2Lose

I agree with Georgia!

I would go to the gym and get bored walking on the treadmill or elliptical. Hated the bicycle - why peddle and go no where? Why walk and go no where? I found I needed a challenge and something to work towards...

I lurked on the C25K thread myself for a couple of weeks, thinking - I can't do that. Me a runner? Who'd have thunk it? I love it too. I also love swimming - so I try to do that on my off running days.

Find something you love. You'll be more likely to stick to it. Find something that challenges you - when you accomplish it you'll have a great sense of achievement! I feel like I could take on the world after a run.

Both these ladies are right on. If you do something because you have to and you get no enjoyment out of it, then you won't stick to it. I myself, am an outdoor person. I am not a gym person, at all. I hate it. I walked when first banded, then tried the couch to 5K.....not for me either. I bought a bike and thought it was so great. Sure, it was hard work at first. I could barely do 5 miles at a time. Today, I ride about 130 miles a week. On a road bike. In spandex shorts. I love it. In fact I always think I need to find something to do for exercise. I love riding so much that it is NOT exercise to me, it is just fun.

I truly believe this is the ticket to exercise. Try some different things out. I also roller blade, but don't have a really good place to do close by. Good luck to you!!!

Okay, read the couch to 5k...not sure I'm up to that just yet.

I do think I could get a nice bike and ride that. I'm trying to keep indoors during the hot part of the summer, but summer almost over. :tongue_smilie: I have no more excuses left, right?

gloucester - i have EDD (exercise deficit disorder) :biggrin: my coined term to deal w/my ADD cause i get bored EASILY. i did the C5k in january, and then i was "what's next??". i realized i'm not a runner; i played college sports (soccer/tennis/lacrosse) and i'm a competitive sports person - bar none. i have the most over the top / obnoxious trainer who i see each tues/thurs who checks my "don't wanna run" line - and he makes me run :rolleyes:. i get it; i have to run to shake the bum down to a normal size - but like the ladies above mentioned you have to find something that keeps you coming back. i'm playing more tennis & golf - cause for me, competing is FUN & this thing called exercise "should" be fun....good luck to ya.

Yeah, its so much easier if you love what you're doing. I really WANT to run. It takes no willpower to do it. I always had a desire to do it, I've always been pretty athletic and liked sport and exercise so I had it a bit easier than someone who didnt grow up active and good at sports.

But I've learned to love it more as I got fit becuase to go out for a run now doesnt hurt, it doesnt feel band, its not pushing myself along the pavement with my lungs about to burst, my heart beating right out of my chest and my head about to explode. Quite honestly, a run to me feels like a pleasant walk would to the next person, if the weather's lovely, I"m somewhere where I want to see the scenery etc, I'll think hmmm lets go out for a nice run the way someone might think a stroll sounds like a good idea. Its easy, it makes me feel good, etc. That comes with real fitness.

The challenge of training for longer races or trying to better a personal best, the fun and atmosphere of race day, the feeling of truly being a "runner" all work for me too.

Unfortunately, not everybody finds something they love that much. And in that situation I still say its MUCH easier to force yourself to do something for 45 minutes than it is to control your eating for the rest of your life. If I had a choice between going on a diet or exercising to lose weight (unfortunately it takes both!) I'd choose exercise every time. You just do it and its over with. Dieting is all day every day forever.

my bike motivates me...No seriously, it does...but something in me makes me want that bike and want to ride....

I love riding...I love the way it has changed my familys outlook on exercise....I love that I am meeting new friends.

And I love loosing weight

I also know that when I stay motivated and moving it works for me....sitting on my duff does not do the trick.

And my friends on LBT has helped me allot....They can kick my butt in gear when I sit on my duff...start challenges just when I need one....and have a great shoulder for me to lean on when I need it.

I would have to agree with all the above posts, doing something you enjoy is not "exercise" it is just fun. I was banded in January, and the best thing for me has been spinning. That is where you ride stationary bikes in a dark room with music playing. I love it so much that I go just for the fun of it, and dont count it as a workout.

I also did the C25k, and ran my first 5k race a couple of weeks ago. I was so proud of myself for accomplishing that goal, and love the fact that I can classify myself a runner. My goal now is to do one a month till the end of the year, then next year I want to complete a 1/2 marathon.

Maybe set small attainable goals for yourself, it is truly motivating when you find that you can do it, and keep upping the goals a little bit at a time, you can do this!

Tracy

sacramentospinnerchick:lol: