Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Story 8-1-08

Okay, as promised here is the story! This was such a life changing day-it was amazing. The scheduling of where my two boys would go and all of that was the most stressful part. I would highly recommend getting everything lined up, with family, your food/protein drinks etc before. It's so nice having no pressure to do that.

Anyway, I had to be at the hospital at 6:00 AM. I arrived at about 5:50 AM in the parking lot to see my dear friend Fotofem standing there-only 3 days post op herself-with a sign wishing me luck. That made my morning-you are awsome girlfriend! My hubby and I went in and there was no one in the office/waiting rooms. The nurses took me right in and one of them asked what I was there for. I told her and she looked at the johnny and said "Let me get you a more comfortable Johnnie". I looked at my husband and said that they were going to get a bigger one. His response was "not for long". God love him. The preop nurse came in and she was just awesome. She had personality and actually talked to both of us, not just about medical stuff either. She shared how she has seen so many people have great success with this and she was excited for me. She got me hooked up to all the tubes and such. Everyone kept asking if I was nervous before surgery and if there was one thing that proved that I wasn't it was my blood pressure. She took it and my husband asked if I had a pulse, it was 109/46. I have never been that low. I think it was because I was half asleep:) I don't like IV's and that was about my biggest worry for the morning and they even took care of that. i don't mind needles at all, but I had an IV that was very painful and I've been skiddish since then. She used some numbing stuff and I didn't feel a thing. My sister and hubby were in the room with me and the surgeon came in. She was searching for something and said "uh oh". I told her that was not something I wanted coming out of my surgeons mouth:) She was just looking for her pen. She stayed in and answered questions, checked with my sister and DH to see if they had some and then left. The anethesia nurse came in and gave me some happy juice and they wheeled me out. We went around the corner which the staff called the "kissing corner" which is where the families have to say see you later to their loved ones. We rounded the corner and the aneth. nurse said I'm going to give you something to put you to sleep and two seconds later I was out. I have no idea where my surgery was. I was out cold as I was going down the hallway:)

I came to listening to the nurses talk and they repeatedly asked if I was in pain. I was when I first woke up, but as soon as I nodded they gave me something and I was back out. I woke up next time and was fine. I was groggy, but as I came to they were talking about the 40lb cat that has been in the news. Not being able to resist, I said they should get it the lap band. THe nurses took my mask off and started monitoring me. I looked at the clock at that point and it was about 10:15. A few minutes later they let my DH and sister in. I was up and walking to the bathroom by 11:30 or so and out the door by 1. They gave me the option to stay overnight, but I wanted to head home. The tubes, machines and constant checking of vitals, I knew I would get a better nights sleep at home. The nurses said that she had never seen anyone bounce back from that surgery as fast. My husband said that she probably says that to everyone and she said that most people take much longer. I said the surgeon must have done a good job then. The surgeon and bariactric surgery coordinator came by to see me before I left and they were awesome. I got home and went inside for a little while and then got up and walked around my yard a little. I walked again when my youngest son came home. he went into the small pool we have and I stood and watched. It felt good to be up. I took in Clear liquids for the first 24 hours, sf ff pops, Water, and broth for the most part. I have been 100% faithful to the diet since and been okay with it. I am sipping on my first cup of Decaf coffee as we speak. The pain was minimal on Friday. Saturday all of the other meds wore off and I was still a little more on the sore side, but still not that bad. I have had a little shoulder pain, but it's more annoying than anything else. Yesterday mid morning I had my first Protein Shake and that went down fine. I had 1/2 cup of egg beaters last night that tasted great. I've been sleeping on my recliner love seat and it works out because I can get up easily to go to the bathroom. I've been taking my pain meds before bed and it helps to get some sleep.

Well, we have a pretty good thunder storm coming through right now, so I'll post this before I lose it. If anyone has any questions let me know. Moe

Moe, Thanks for sharing your story. I hope my experience is as positive as yours. Only three days to go for me!

Hi Moe,

Glad to hear that all went well!

Since you shared your story, I will share mine here as well.

I went in at 6am as well. The hospital I went to do the band all the time, so they had all the right equipment ready for me. The IV was painless and I don't remember anything after they gave me the versed until I was in my room.

My surgery took 3 hours due to a previous abdominal surgery. He had to cut around scar tissue, but at least he was still able to do it with the lap version.

I finally got out of bed around 3pm. It took me about that long to wake up. They had me on morphine, but asked to switch because it knocks me out too much. I was given fenergyn, but stopped after 2 doses. I did have severe back and shoulder pain. I could not lay down in the bed because of this. I ended up walking every 1/2 hour during the night.

I did have a barium swallow so they could see the position of the band and it was fine, so they started me on Water and pudding. I really could not eat very much.

Yesterday I came home by noon and other than the pain in my shoulder and back, I am ok. I just cannot seem to pass any of this gas!

I have tried eating and drinking the Protein, but I am just not able to get much in me. I try to wait 1/2 hour after drinking before eating, but I am just not feeling like it. I guess that is a good thing!

My surgeon put in 2cc into the band, so I am sure it is me getting used to this. I am glad that I have it already so I am on my way.

Gilta

to Moe and gilta CONGRATULATIONS and GOOD LUCK!!! Keep us posted on your progress! My surgery is scheduled for August 20th!

Thank you Moe and Gilta for sharing. I'm getting exciting and nervous - I'm having my Friday - Wish me luck and say a little prayer for. I have NEVER had surgery, so the whole thing is new to me. Keep us posted with your success and hopefully my story will be as wonderful as yours. :smile:

Edited by LUVCOWBOYS

I've had a few but not laproscopic. I generally come out of the anaesthetic ok (usually starving but I guess this time will be different :smile:)

When you come out of the anaesthetic when you are in recovery you will most likely feel cold and they give you nice warmed blankets so that is the first thing I demand .... usually with "Im cold really cold can I have a warm blanket please?" and this is followed every minute until I start to feel toasty :wub:

Good luck to both of you! Things are about the same, except I think the gas is finally moving. My shoulder is still very sore, but I have heard it can take up to a week to get ride of.

Gilta

Hey everyone! I just got back from a walk that felt great. I saw a lot of people post before surgery that walking was awesome, but now I can post that I TOTALLY agree. I just started walking and it was such a beautiful day I just kept going. I ended up going 1.4 miles at a medium pace. It really helps with the gas and just my energy level in general. I'll take a short nap, but it just makes me feel so much better. I have some shoulder pain, but it's not bad-I have been very blessed. The only area that hurts is the port site, near the largest incision, but walking helped that too.

Thanks for sharing your story gilta, I'm so glad you made out alright. Has your stomach been going crazy with noises? I'm not hungry, but my stomach is making all kinds of noises-it's kind funny. I had heard of this, but it's strange now that it's happening.

Take care and I look forward to hearing more about your journey:) Moe