Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any September Banders?

May we all be losers!!!:thumbup:

Who would have ever thought I would want to be such a loser! :drool:

One week post-op. Feeling great. Staples removed today. Was up walking the night of my surgery. Everything staying down well. Dr. said I was doing great. 22 pounds down since starting liquid diet (total lost last 3 weeks).....loving being a loser. :)

I was finally banded on 9/02/08 in Chicago by Dr. Shayani. I did have to do an pre-op diet but I did lose 7 lbs. before surgery. However since my surgery I've only lost and additional 13lbs and tomorrw is 1 month post op.

I'm confused as I don't know what to eat. My Dr. says eat food - no mushies, liquid shakes, etc. He says I should eat to fill the pounch and not drink any liquids between meals and each meal should last 4-6hours. I still don't know what to eat though.

I thought I would be on a liquid diet for 2 weeks post op, followed by mushie foods for 2-3 weeks then onto soft foods 2-3 week after that.

Then it would be time for my first fill - or at least this is the plan that so many have posted on this web site. My Dr. is totally against liquid shake supplements, so I'm all confused and don't know why I'm not losing any weight.

After 3 years of trying desperately to get Insurance approval for the band - I now have it and the weight just isn't coming off they way I expected.

Can anyone help me????

Hello everyone, I'm doing fine lately, but I am concerned about how tired I get. You all sound like your doing great, but every time I try and do anything I find myself so tired and out of breath, I'm still resting a lot and take several naps a day too. Is this normal????:( Thanks Bobbie

Jgonz, you are doing great 34lbs already WOW! I am now post-op since Sept.8 and I've lost 28 and I am pleased. I am still excited.

I get my first fill on Oct. 8th.

Good Luck

Hello everyone, I'm doing fine lately, but I am concerned about how tired I get. You all sound like your doing great, but every time I try and do anything I find myself so tired and out of breath, I'm still resting a lot and take several naps a day too. Is this normal????:smile2: Thanks Bobbie

Wow Bobbie, sorry you are feeling so tired. I was banded on the 22nd of September and I feel back to my old self with the exception of port soreness. Each day seems to get a lot easier. You might want to talk to your doctor and let him know you are so tired. I don't think this is normal, but then again others may be experiencing the same thing as you. It will be interesting to hear what other LBer's experiences have been so far. I hope it gets better for you soon. Hang in there.:(

Bobbie. Oh do I know how you feel. I got my band on Sept. 19th and I am sooooooooo tired now. I am a night person and never used to get to bed until after midnight. Last night I fell asleep before 9:00. It has been that way the last 4 or 5 nights. I did not sleep much at all the first week after being banded, so I keep telling myself that maybe I am just getting caught up. I'm still just having liquids, so maybe it will get better when I get to the soft foods/mushie stage. Sure do hope so. Or maybe we will just be extra beautiful when we lose our weight because we are getting soooooooooooooo much beauty sleep. AND... we aren't eating eating while we are sleeping. Good luck to you and goodnight :( Becky

Hi all, I am post-op day number almost 3. So far so good. Uncomfortable in bed unless on my back. I am getting my fluids in I dont think enough as I am afraid.. Yesterday I did 2 loads of laundry trust me they were very small. And I did some dishes (which I did not dirty up. ) I am experiencing more gas pain today, luckily for me I am able to burp on my own. A hidden talent I have had thanks to the teachings of an older brother and the contest we had. THat alone has been the biggest help. I am very tender on my right side but otherwise ok. I have not felt hungry.. which I guess to reason in part is beacause I am very bloated. Being heavy all these yrs women will say to me I am so bloated, being fat I never felt that. Well after this surgery I felt it and see it. I noticed last night I cannot "suck it in so to speak" Again I believe from all the gas. I have a nice bruise about the size of a half dollar on my stomach from the lovenox shot which by the way did not even feel. The most painful thing of this whole procedure was moving from the bed to the XR table that was difficult and getting out of bed is very hard. I dont regret my decision for a minute. I even went to the grocery store last night and picked up a few things for the hubby and some juice for me. I am proud to say I will be a loser. I dont know if I have lsot any wt because I dont own a scale (they are just evil) I was not wieghed the morning of my surgery 9/30. I know I weighed in at my preop 285 :thumbdown:Time will tell. take care.. Now I am going to try to make myself lie down and rest.

Maranda

My surgeon says sometime between week 10 days and 21 days you hit a "slump" that you feel so tired. You all might be experiencing that. It's a side effect from the anesthesia he told me. That and the changes in how we get our nutrients. I've not hit it, but am 16 days post op. So time will tell. He also said not everyone gets it. So I'm hoping i'm a lucky one.

I'm cleared for low impact aerobics, stationary bikes that type of things. So I'm starting today. Gonna feed the twins, then go to it :cool2:

teri

not drink any liquids between meals and each meal should last 4-6hours

Hi Lynn, unless I'm misunderstanding you, I think you mean you're not supposed to drink any liquids during meals, and each meal should keep you feeling sated or at least satisfied for 4-6 hours.

13 pounds in a month is FANTASTIC! That's three pounds/week!!! You lost that seven pounds during the pre-op diet because of a lot of Water weight, so much of that wasn't true fat that you were losing. I'm not sure how much you're eating at each meal, but that varies between doctors. Meals, Snacks, amounts are all over the map.

My doctor wants me to eat 1/2 cup meals (heavy on protein) three times per day, plus one healthy snack. We don't have a lot of restriction now, so we're going to feel hungrier quicker, until we get the proper restriction. Right now, I try to stick with the 1/2 cup meals, but a few times I've eaten a little more but it's been veggies. I've definitely not gone over a cup though. I feel full for about four hours. I was trying to keep my snack very low cal (sf Jello, for instance), but the doctor said I should try to add something with Protein now for fullness (Greek yogurt, tuna, as examples) until I get my fill.

He also said not everyone gets it. So I'm hoping i'm a lucky one.

You and me both. I am on day 7 and feel fine as long as I don't lay on my back. My port incision aches when I lay on my back. Also, I have a horrid time trying to get back up from that position. It is really odd to me since I don't hurt sitting up or walking around. I can get up from a sitting position with no problem. hmmmm

I hope everyone has a wonderful day today!:cool2:

I'm also one week out (9/17) and am having alot of pain like you described in what I'm assuming is the port site. I would love to hear from others that have gone through this to find out if it is normal? I had my surgery in Mexico and am done with the pain medicine I was given. I am taking liquid Tylenol but it is just not cutting the pain. Does anyone have any advise or words of encouragement that this is all just part of the recovery process or should I be worried?

I was lapped 9/15, and let me tell u, it was like magic! I went to bed still in a bit of pain from incisions, and woke up the next AM (it was exactly the 1 and 1/2 wk. mark), and felt like NEW & BETTER person, and it's been all good since. I know we are all different, but that is how it was for me! Best of Luck to you!

:cool2: Joy

You and me both. I am on day 7 and feel fine as long as I don't lay on my back. My port incision aches when I lay on my back. Also, I have a horrid time trying to get back up from that position. It is really odd to me since I don't hurt sitting up or walking around. I can get up from a sitting position with no problem. hmmmm

I hope everyone has a wonderful day today!:cool2:

I found the heating pad and THE RECLINER were magic in that 1st. wk....hope that helps u!

;) Joy

Hi all, I am post-op day number almost 3. So far so good. Uncomfortable in bed unless on my back. I am getting my fluids in I dont think enough as I am afraid.. Yesterday I did 2 loads of laundry trust me they were very small. And I did some dishes (which I did not dirty up. ) I am experiencing more gas pain today, luckily for me I am able to burp on my own. A hidden talent I have had thanks to the teachings of an older brother and the contest we had. THat alone has been the biggest help. I am very tender on my right side but otherwise ok. I have not felt hungry.. which I guess to reason in part is beacause I am very bloated. Being heavy all these yrs women will say to me I am so bloated, being fat I never felt that. Well after this surgery I felt it and see it. I noticed last night I cannot "suck it in so to speak" Again I believe from all the gas. I have a nice bruise about the size of a half dollar on my stomach from the lovenox shot which by the way did not even feel. The most painful thing of this whole procedure was moving from the bed to the XR table that was difficult and getting out of bed is very hard. I dont regret my decision for a minute. I even went to the grocery store last night and picked up a few things for the hubby and some juice for me. I am proud to say I will be a loser. I dont know if I have lsot any wt because I dont own a scale (they are just evil) I was not wieghed the morning of my surgery 9/30. I know I weighed in at my preop 285 :thumbdown:Time will tell. take care.. Now I am going to try to make myself lie down and rest.

Maranda

Maranda,

Oh we sound sooo much alike lol!

I refuse to own a scale as well!

Also post op day 3 today.

Just soreness on the right side only.

I only have my 2week pre-op weight at a whoppin 326 (moo)

So I'll be happy to see what my 4week post op weight is.

Burping also comes easy for me, it's almost like indigestion.. that's the only real 'pain' and it's just the gas, so I need to go get some gas x..

Cant wait to see where we all are in like 6months!

Best wishes Sept banders!

Hi Nina, you've lost a great amount of weight - how much of your 28lbs was post op? What are you eating daily? I'm so confused I'm trying to get some answers as to why my loss is so slow.