Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise Outrage

Last Monday my husband bought bikes for both of us to ride with my daughter, who already has a bike. We had riden together everyday with the exception of last night. He and my daughter rode our usual route and I told him that I wanted to just ride up and down the street to practice turning and braking...even though I have been riding for a week it has been approximately 20 years since I had riden a bike.

I was riding up and down the street and then heard "d**n look at that fata** on the bike" from a group of pre-teens sitting on their own bikes on across street. I was angry, very angry...a few minutes later my husband and daughter came around the corner and he instantly knew something was wrong. That night I told him I did not want to ride again.

I know kids, heck even adults say mean even cruel things. They were old even to know better....but I will not let them win. I have dealt with the stares and the whispers for too long. I am trying to make a bether life for me and my family. I will get back on my bike tonight and ride.

Amy:

The heck with them!

You go girl and one day nobody will comment about your size!

Congrats on your loss so far. Keep up the good work.

Sue

Amy, you win!! You get the prize!!! It is sooooo hard to cycle when you are heavy and you are doing it. Its really easy for people to say, just ignore it, but when it happens, it hurts. It hurts really bad, down deep. But, you are going to make it and one day, you will be cruising past one of those kids, and they will NOT be able to catch up to you!!! Good luck, and keep it up with the biking!!! I have bought five bikes just for myself in the last year!!!!! And thats not including the 7 we bought for hubby and daughter!!!

I know it stings but I think that comment was probably less about you and more an opportunity for some jacka$$ kid to show of for his buddies...I mean I KNOW the comment was technically about you but pre-teen boys are....well they are insane, basically feral creatures that some poor woman has to try to mother.

And speaking of their mothers, if it ever happens again and if you're up for it, generally "you talk like that to your mother"? gets the job done. And if you know their mothers, let mom know what their kids are up to. No one wants their kid out there being nasty and unless the mom's a total jerk too, the kid will get a talking-to.

Regardless of how you handle it, I totally understand where you're coming from, I know that hurt (bar, St. Patricks day, some fratboyish kid pushes past me yelling "move it fatty" in front of everyone....got my friend to "accidentally" spill her beer on him later), but I also know that just thinking "f*** 'em" and getting on with my life and doing what I need and want to do is the way to go.

::HUGS::

LOL!!! I love it.... "feral creatures". Yeah, that about explains that age group of boys.

They are kids, and kids with no manners or good upbringing. If either of my sons had said something like that at their age, I would have knocked the snot out of them!!

All that aside... Amy you are doing FANTASTIC. Great loss in a short time. You've made the committement. Don't let those little twits ruin it for you. Glad to hear you got back on that bike!!! I'm really proud of you. Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing!!!

I wanted to just thank you all for your support and kind words. I had another bad night in the neighborhood but I am not going to let it get in the way of my success.

I wanted to tell you to keep your head held high! I stay away from crowds all the time just because of this type of thing. However your courage is inspiring to me so today will be the day me and the dogs get out on the block for the first time in months.

btw-Dr. Felts will be my surgeon. How did you like the experience and what should I expect with this Center? I am in my 6 month insurance holding pattern right now so just getting to know the staff on my monthly visits. Would love to hear more about your experience so will read more of your posts. But Feel free to private message me.

:scared2::cursing:i know we're all adults, but man, if that where me, i would have sat on those kids and smushed them! wtf??? i guess their parents are raising little gentlemen! (sarcasm)

amy you're so strong and doing such a great job!

honey you'll have that last laugh!!!! :cursing:

I'm so sorry you had to go through something like that, but remember, they don't matter. You are awesome and the ones that matter know that about you.

WTG Sue on your awesome weight loss! You're an inspiration of newbies like me.