Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alright so I know that self loathing and hating myself is what got me here. I would over eat, be mad at myself and eat more. So look here is what I am looking/begging someone to help me with. I log everything I eat in a day and I want some feed back please. I had surgery May 30th and I was an open surgery, and on Clear liquids for a month. It took me a while to heal and I feel almost 100% better. So I have had one 3.5cc fill in a 7cc band. I have some restriction, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. Below are a few examples of my food logs...feedback? Thoughts? Help? Thanks everyone..

July 21

I can tuna with lite mayo

9 crackers -whole wheat low fat and sodium

1tsp Peanut Butter

1/2 cup potatoes, 3oz of pork

and a handfull of carrots raw

July 23

1/2 cup all bran Cereal with 1% milk

3 oz chicken baked

1 piece of bread and 1/4 cup hummas

6 cooked prawns

1/2 cup no noddle lasagna

1oz smoked salmon

july 27

1 cup allbran strawberry cereal with 1% milk

1/2 canned pear

1 cup cottage cheese

1 individual yogurt

2 baby potatoes 4 oz porkchop

3 snack packs - through the day 100 cal or less each

July 29th

1 cup tortilini with tomatoe sauce

3 oz chicken

1/2 piece garlic bread

1 cup of snack mix

1/4 cup turkey rice mix

10 carrots raw with 1/4 cup hummas

Let me say I work day and night shifts as a nurse and we have had company in and out of our place for the last two weeks. It sure as heck isn't as much as I ate before the band that is for sure...bigmac large coke large fries and 10 nuggests all in one sitting, but I just need either reassurance that i am ok, or a firm yelling at! I don't know, I wish things were more black and white. I booked a fill for this thursday, i am not sure if I am messing with a good thing or if it is what i need...help any feedback would be appriciated..

shannongetsslim

It doesn't look to bad to me, keep making healthy food choices and i think your doing fine. Though im new and i think i also eat wayy to much. I guess an average is about 1 cup 3x day. but heck are you losing? keep on truckin girl.

Thanks for replying, you know when you just aren't sure if your doing it right, I am loosing yes, but I am not weighing myself anymore as it became a bit too obsessive for me...but I measure myself and there is a difference..thanks again

I started using thedailyplate.com last week to track what I eat and it's made so much difference. Ask your doctor to list what you should be eating in grams of Protein, grams of carbs, grams of fat etc. It breaks it all down for you so you can see if you are approaching your daily limit of carbs or sodium or not getting enough protein etc. Looking at the numbers on there throughout the day helps me make my choices when it's time to eat again. Really took the guesswork out of it for me.

I see very little fresh fruit and vegetables, they are very important as you need the Fiber they provide and the nutrients. If your body is starved of this it will slow its metabolism to retain what little it is getting thus weight loss slows.

Looks ok to me for amounts, there are some healthier choices in foods you could make, but its up to you what you like.

I don't see anything wrong with the amounts.

The Lap Band book provided by the hospital where I had my surgery and the post-op directions from my doctor both state that the point isn't to diet or count calories, but to eat less. If you look at this as a diet and counting calories for the rest of your life, then what's the point of the surgery? You could have done that without the surgery. Granted the band helps control hunger but if you start out as a diet aren't you afraid you're going to get bored and burned out?

The book and instructions did state that if you are unsuccessful in losing weight even after fill adjustments, then you may need to count calories but this was supposed to be a lifetime, lifestyle change, not another diet with a twist.

Edited by Dionna113

I am eating so much less than I did before you would think that even if I didn't have the band I would have lost more than I am now - not sure the band is working yet but then I haven't had a fill yet - I have the Realize Band and it is larger than the Lap Band so maybe food can go down too easily - I am ready for my fill on August 11th. Counting the minutes.

Personally, if i ate that menu as is, i would gain weight.. i can not eat that many carbs, especially throughout the day.. i have to really watch my carbs .. no more than 12 carb units a day ... 12 grams of carboyhydrate = 1 carb unit ... if you want to try it, it's a diabetic diet .. the carbs i do eat are only at Breakfast and no other time so that my body can burn them up during the course of the day .. if i eat them after breakfast, they most likely won't get burned up and they will be stored as fat instead .. best of luck to you

I eat my carbs in the morning - usually oatmeal or cream of wheat something like that and a small Protein Shake. lunch is usually tuna salad or something like that with Protein and dinner I try to have protein, a small steak or tonight I just had deviled eggs and a baked sweet potato and Vitamin Water. Sometimes for dessert I will have sugar free sorbet. I agree that you should eat as few carbs as possible but if you really want them have them early in the day. Think of it as like putting a log on the fire - protein is a big log that burns longer so keeps you full longer - carbs are like twigs that burn fast - do not keep you full and metabolize as sugar in your system.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the feedback...I certainly try to eat veg and fruit, It had been a rough week due to family in town and I think that is why i feel so crappy. I have been cooking my dinner meals from a great cookbook, eating well after weight loss surgery. Great book, written by someone who has gotten a band and is a chef.

I haven't been as diligent as I was before the family arrived, and looking forward to going back to where I was. I wasn't prepared for this family 5 children and 1 adult so I had no time to prepare.

I have been trying to make healthier choices for myelf, oatmeal or high fibre Cereal in the am, cottage cheese for lunch I really try to focus on Protein and complex carbs, the good ones, leafy veg and cauliflower that sort of stuff.

It is hard when you are on track and feel like you have been shoved off it. I will try to cut my carbs, make better veggie/fruit choices for Snacks and focus on Protein. Thanks guys.

I also wanted to say I dont think I am dieting, I think I am making smarter choices, and being aware of the things I am putting in my diet, god I look and feel so much better when I read the lables of the things I am eating and make a choice to eat home made, fresh low fat low sodium things..It is just a better me, not a diet...and time to get back on track!

Just a little input, I watch my carbs each day too. Matter of fact, my surgeon's PA who does his fills, told me to stop eating white potatoes because I get enough daily carbs just from my veggies and brown rice, whole wheat bread. Sweet potatoes are best! My kids like for me to slice them thin, then bake for chips. YUM!!