Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band vs. Realize band?

I was just curious as to if there's a difference, I was told at the education classes that they mostly put in Realize bands, but if we really wanted a Lap-Band we could discuss it with the surgeon and they'd do that. So, I'm not exactly sure if I should want one over the other or if it really makes that big of a difference. any thoughts?

I believe the Realize is the "next generation".

There is a video on Utube, the doctor uses Realize. I didn't realize - lol - there was a new one. I'm not even sure which my Doc uses. Also, I didn't know there were diff sizes. Watch the video, very informative, well I found it interesting anyway. I know all Docs use their own technique, but this dude goes into detail. The Video Doc said the new one has a lower incidence of slippage. I guess I will have to check with my Doc to see which I will get.

If you go to Youtube and key in " Live Lap Band surgery - Kansas City ", there are 5 parts and it takes about an hour to watch. It is a quality video of a complete lap band surgery.

Good Luck

Debbie

The Realize band isn't new, it's been used in Sweden for many years. It was just approved for use in the U.S. last fall though. There are a lot of discussions on this forum about the two bands, if you do a search for "Realize" you will find alot of the discussions.

My doctor told me that there is pretty much no difference between the two, and he let me choose which one I wanted. For me it was kind of a toss-up between the two, so I went with the Realize band. You're right to learn as much as you can ahead of time and make informed decisions. Good luck!

Everytime I think I know enough, I find there is still so much more to learn.

At first I was ticked off at myself for choosing a date 3 months in advance, but between getting my approval, my psyc consult and tests I am beginning to find the time racing by. Thanks for the help, I will check this out further. Now I have more questions.......

Good Grief!! :-)

I have a Realize Band & feel very lucky to have it. The best spokesman I found is Dr. Curry of Cincinnatti, Ohio. A fine bariatric surgeon. He has several web sites. He has answered questions for me that nobody else could. Banded 1/15/08, 6&1/2 months later 120 pounds lost + gone forever. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup: SWCC LAS VEGAS NEVADA

So what are the SPECIFIC differences of the realize band and the lapband? Are there any, do they work differently?

Hi Ellen! From what I've researched (spent many hours reading and searching!) and what I've discussed with a couple surgeons, there appears to be little difference in the functionality of the band. They should essentially have the same results.

I think the biggest thing people like about the Realize band is the web support that accompanies it. This is a big sell I think both to surgeon and patients because it's an additional tool to help the patients stay on track.

I was interested in the web support and think it's great (being lap band specific), but I was more interested in the construction of the two bands. I personally chose the Lap Band AP because of the construction of the band. 1) It has multiple pillars that fill, as opposed to one - so the band to me looks like it will adjust somewhat better to fit my body, instead of my body having to fit around it. 2) Additionaly, the "shoulders" or what is used to lock the band in place around the stomach is on the outside (not the inner area facing your stomach). I felt better about this construction because it seemed like it may have less potential to rub against your stomach, and might be easier for the surgeon to reach if an adjustment of the band is necessary.

Anyhow, those were the reasons I personally chose the Lap Band - but from what I read on this site and elsewhere, it appears people have equal success with either.

GOOD LUCK! :tt2:

I have a Realize Band & feel very lucky to have it. The best spokesman I found is Dr. Curry of Cincinnatti, Ohio. A fine bariatric surgeon. He has several web sites. He has answered questions for me that nobody else could. Banded 1/15/08, 6&1/2 months later 120 pounds lost + gone forever. Hasta Pronto, George:thumbup: SWCC LAS VEGAS NEVADA

WHAT IN THE WORLD..GREAT JOB..HOW HAVE YOU LOST SO MUCH!!!!

WOW:thumbup:

Thank You! I have a lot of practice at getting operated on. I have a lot of help. Support groups are very important. You are 3 times more successful at weight loss by attending support groups. Doctors & there is a long list of them have been world class. Exercise & weighing out each meal. There are new books every day. I sleep good now. Each lost pound is a 4 psi difference in the torture you put your back & joints. This comes to millions of lost psi. Dr. Curry can give details of Realize band(he has several no fills/Realize banders):tt2:. I have been real Lucky. No fills yet. I got to thank Dr. Soong & Dr. Atkinson for installing Realize band in me. Good Luck to all. Hasta Pronto, Geo:thumbup: P.S. One of the best days of my life was losing morbid obesity handle!

Hi George, You seem to think very highly of Dr. Curry. He will actually be my surgeon, and I'm happy to say I've only heard good things about him so far! :tt2: How did you hear about him being all the way in Vegas?

Hi leknigh, Since I been on Lap Band Talk, I've been trying to find out the number or percentage of banders that are like me & have not had a fill? Dr. Curry answered my questions when no one else could. He has web sites that are very good. Dr. Curry took the time to e-mail me. I also saw his seminar online. My 5th seminar & the best. I learn a lot each seminar. Would you tell him Thank You for me. Also I moved outside (lower 48), from Alaska, Like the Good Dr. You are going to one of the best. I've read about him + all are words of praise. Good Luck! It all gets better with the band. Get your head in the right mode pre-op & hold on tight. Hasta Pronto, George

Hey flowers - yes they are. The bands are actually gastric bands, and "lap band" and "realize" are the commerical names for them.