Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes! We're a Forum!

Hello everyone,

It took me long enough to figure out how it was done, but it's easy, and we're official. Thank you all, and really, let's talk.

Anyone have any gigs? I have a couple, and my mind is racing, probably I'm still in the insurance fighting phase for my band. But music keeps me sane

Looking forward to hearing from one and all!

Debbie.

Hi! I saw this new group and I thought "that is me!" Well, I'm not too much of a "gig" girl, my focus is more on teaching. I am a student at our local community college, studying music, hoping to teach eventually. For now, I just teach voice and flute lessons from home. I LOVE IT!! I also just saw a posting for a job at a local school district hiring a music teacher for two elementary schools in the area. I am going to drop off an application today, as they do not require a teaching degree, just a high school diploma. They pay about 10.50 an hour which would be GREAT for me, and it is part time so I can still go to school. I guess that is one good thing about fine arts budget cuts, they can hire students!!:lol:

Music Lover here! I play flute (but haven't gotten it out lately...) I have played in community bands and I miss that since I live in a small town now that doesn't have much going on musically. Glad to see this thread!

Hi there And welcome!

Marie, I used to teach piano. I didn’t think of myself as a traditional teacher, and I never felt comfortable. I always thought my students weren’t getting all they could. But I had quite a few at one time, and it was really kind of neat, because that’s all I did. I mean that’s how I supported myself for quite a while.

Strikeuptheband, have you thought of taking out your flute? When I was in college one of my classmates wrote a piece for flute and piano. It was beautiful.

Thank you both for writing.

Hi Serenity, Thinking about getting my flute out is about as far as I get these days. But I did just finish a college class today that was taking a huge amount of time, my son is off doing his Guard unit thing and the cat doesn't complain too much so I just might get it out and see how rusty I am!

Have you been banded yet? I go in thursday for fill #3 and I hope this one does the trick. So far, I have no restriction and am not losing. (Not gaining either tho...:wink2:

Strikeuptheband,

No, I'm not banded yet. I go for my psych evaluation on August 11, and then I guess I just wait to see. My insurance company has really been giving me the run around. Well, maybe not them, but the physicians' group. It's a long story, but I'm still hoping and still in the running, I guess. Good luck with your fill! Let me know how it goes.

Debbie

Edited by serenity55

Hi All!

It's great to see more people joining our little 'band' of banders!

I was banded July 30, 2007. Losing slowly, but steadily. You can see pics of my progress on my profile, if you'd like to.

I sing in a couple choruses, direct one and coach a barbershop quartet. Those guys are my biggest supporters! Every rehearsal I get more and more compliments! I love it!

I also do solo work with the choruses and sing at weddings. They are so much fun to do.

Learned to play French horn in a brass choir three years ago and now teach the people in our group their brass.. trumpets, fluegelhorns, tenor horns, trombones and tubas... I always wanted to be a music teacher... maybe I'll get back to college someday and get my degree!

Let's keeps this group going and recruit!

Katja

Katja,

Wow! You’re doing a lot. So maybe I’ll follow your example.

Basically I’m an accompanist. I’ve directed four musicals at a local theater, accompanied singers in San Francisco, New York, and, when I was a teenager, went to the White House with an organization for the blind, again as the accompanist. I love playing piano fourhands, or duets; I took a piano ensemble class in college. I’ve recorded three CD’s, one original, one Christmas, and one of some of my favorite pieces. I’ve also played on friends’ recordings.

I haven’t been banded yet; I’m fighting with insurance, but I’m going for the second part of my psych eval this Monday.

I keep meaning to have a friend help me post pictures, but because I’m blind, I actually rather like the idea of people describing themselves, which I started as a thread, and there’s sort of a description of me there, too.

Thank you, Katja, for keeping us going!

Katja,

Wow! You’re doing a lot. So maybe I’ll follow your example.

Basically I’m an accompanist. I’ve directed four musicals at a local theater, accompanied singers in San Francisco, New York, and, when I was a teenager, went to the White House with an organization for the blind, again as the accompanist. I love playing piano fourhands, or duets; I took a piano ensemble class in college. I’ve recorded three CD’s, one original, one Christmas, and one of some of my favorite pieces. I’ve also played on friends’ recordings.

I haven’t been banded yet; I’m fighting with insurance, but I’m going for the second part of my psych eval this Monday.

I keep meaning to have a friend help me post pictures, but because I’m blind, I actually rather like the idea of people describing themselves, which I started as a thread, and there’s sort of a description of me there, too.

Thank you, Katja, for keeping us going!

Oh JEALOUS!!! I wish I could play the piano well. Right now I just kind of plunk along with my students. I have taken classes because I was required to for my associates degree. But now that I am switching my major I don't HAVE to. But I should anyway.

Speaking of my major, I decided to do elementary education with music as my minor, so that I can teach it in elementary schools. Which brings me to some great news!! I got the music teacher job!! It's going to be so awesome!! I can't wait until I start!! YAY!!

Thought I would add a physical description of myself since I have no idea where that thread is.

I am 5'6 have red hair abut mid-back length ( I want to cut off 10 inches though and give it to locks of love), blue eyes, VERY white skin (I swear it's just awful!!!) and now I weigh about 294ish. My hobbies include sewing(right now I make reproduction Civil War dresses), and of course MUSIC!! Oh, and one of my other hobbies is hanging out on here all the time :)

ps. Good luck on your psych eval!!

Marie, congratulations on getting the job. And you know, it’s never too late to start piano lessons. When I was in college there was an older woman who had taken lessons as a young person, but was in a concentration camp, I believe, and was given shock treatment. She forgot everything she’d learned, but picked it up again. And she was doing great.

Thank you for the description. I am African-

American, though I usually just refer to myself as black. I have, according to my hairdresser, sable brown hair, brown eyes, which, because I have cataracts, have made some people think they were blue. (I use to wish I was white because of all the stories I read as a child about princesses with golden hair.) I sometimes joke with my Caucasian friends and say that I’ll gladly share some of my color with them, so they can be tan. Lol I am a dark chocolate brown, so I’ve been told, about five-five, and weigh (gulp) 331 pounds. I can’t wait to get banded! I’m a little nervous about this part of the psych eval, though.

Marie, congratulations on getting the job. And you know, it’s never too late to start piano lessons. When I was in college there was an older woman who had taken lessons as a young person, but was in a concentration camp, I believe, and was given shock treatment. She forgot everything she’d learned, but picked it up again. And she was doing great.

Thank you for the description. I am African-

American, though I usually just refer to myself as black. I have, according to my hairdresser, sable brown hair, brown eyes, which, because I have cataracts, have made some people think they were blue. (I use to wish I was white because of all the stories I read as a child about princesses with golden hair.) I sometimes joke with my Caucasian friends and say that I’ll gladly share some of my color with them, so they can be tan. Lol I am a dark chocolate brown, so I’ve been told, about five-five, and weigh (gulp) 331 pounds. I can’t wait to get banded! I’m a little nervous about this part of the psych eval, though.

I would take some of your color anytime!! LOL!! the only color I get is burned!! Then it turns right back to pasty. You'll be fine for the psych evaluation! Just be truthful i guess, and it will all work out!! I'll say a prayer for you!

Thank you. I need all the support I can get! :-)

I figured I haven't posted here for a while, sorry! I am busy with work and teaching private lessons. I LOVE teaching music at an elementary school!! The kids are so quick to pick up the symbols, values of the notes, etc. I am already running out of resources at the school and am going to need to get more. How did your psych eval go btw?

Hey there!

I haven't posted here for quite a while either, as you can see, and I've been trying to think of something to keep us going. So thanks, marie!

I'm still fighting with my insurance company, but my psych eval went well. 567 questions, plus the oral part! They've denied me, and the medical group I was with was sold to another one, so my doctor is submitting everything again. I also wrote to obesity law.com because I've read so much about how successful they've been.

I've just been asked to be a musical director for an "opera with jazz influence." I've listened to the music and it's, um, interesting. If anyone has any ideas about how much to charge let me know, because, although I've done this kind of thing before, the fee was set, because of budgeting.

It really is great when students catch on to music, isn't it? Chime in, anybody, please!

Debbie

ok! i found it!

hello

my name is susan i am 39, bleached blond hair, use to be natural, getting old i guess. brown eyes. 5'8', 336 lbs. single mom of one teen boy. since i cannot smoke, eat, drink or god knows what else! i decided to learn electric guitar. i have always liked rock, alternative, punk music so i thought what the hell. the doctor suggested i start to read books, yeah right! this last month has been real hard - not being able to eat or smoke at the same time. but it has gotten better, i am over the cigerette cravings pretty much so now i can focus on my eating habits. i will start some lessons next monday night. i am hoping i can learn and actually have a real hobby instead of sitting in front of the tv eating. i got sober in the 90's and turned to food. my back is in real bad shape so this is it, if i want to be able to work i have to get this weight off. i work in an office now and even thats hard sometimes.

i'm on the 6 month diet thing i guess im on my 2nd month. i have seen the doc twice so far and my appointments have been 2 and 3 weeks apart. i go again on 11/4/08 so that will be my 3rd. thats ok with me, i hope this time fly's - i figure if all goes well, i will have surgery by march or april of 2009 and hopefully be out of pain or close to it by this time next year.

good luck to all of you! and if anyone knows any good tips on learning chords or the notes and memorizing them that would be a great help to me.

thanks susan