Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to scare myself

Hi everyone,

My surgery is scheduled for Sept. 24th with Dr. Kirschenbaum. I am really excited about it but I am starting to scare myself with worries. I realize there are risks with any surgery but I can't stop thinking "what if I die?".

I have read there is a 1 in 50 chance of dying during gastric bypass. Is there a death percentage for lap band procedures? Is it rude to ask your doctor if anyone has died while he was operating on them? Did any of you have this worry?

Thanks,

Michelle

Hello Michelle,

I am having to wait until February for my Lapband. That is when I will be 65 and covered under Medicare. This has given me a lot of time to research all I can regarding the Lapband. From all that I have read, it appears to be an extremely safe operation. It is minimally invasive and actually a very simple operation from a mechanical standpoint. I don't think there is any reason at all for you to worry.

I look at it this way. I have a much greater chance of death from being obese than from the operation, so having the operation will probably extend my life substantially.

Everyone has a degree of the jitters, but you will do well and remember there are thousands of wonderful people here to support you.

My surgery is Monday.. and all the 'what if's' are racing through my mind. I haven't been able to find any ratio on the bands outcome rate.. but I'm curious. Lack of control is mostly why I'm paranoid. Wonder if the nurse can give me something to calm my nerves when I arrive? I don't want to be a blubbering fool!

:frown: I will most likely be banded within a couple months and from what ive read three is less than 1% chance of death with this surgery! We all get the jitters about it but its the safest!! :)

everyone gets the jitters the risk of death is higher driving to the hospital then from the surgery its self. Also it is perfectly normal and ok to ask your doctor if he has killed anyone. I did my doctor and he offered right up with out reservation. This is a normal and routine question for them. You should ask your doctor all the questions you have no matter how inappropriate it seems. And most hospitals will give you something for your worries when you get to the hospital if you request it.

Hi Michelle,

the info that I got from my clinic states that mostl deaths are because of heart attacks after the surgery - from clots so you must get up and walk. It states that there are studies across the world that show 1 death in every 2000 - 3000 procedures. Good luck

I also heard that the chance of dying with the lap band is less than one percent. However, I am a student (in the medical profession) and I started analyzing everything the night before my surgery and then I started to freak out. I know way too much and started running scenarios in my head. What happens if I don't wake up from anesthesia? What if I die? Would my son remember me? So I started crying and my husband had to calm me down. I was a little freaked out the day of surgery too, but if you ask the doctor, they might be able to give you something for nerves. They gave me something as I was wheeled into the OR. I would have liked something before that, but what can you do? And no, I don't think it is rude to ask the dr if anyone had died while in surgery. I think it is a reasonable question.

Hi Tiff, I had my surgery on 7/22/08, I kept telling myself and everyone I was ready for it to be over with, I only had to wait three weeks I was self pay, the morning of surgery Had my shower and Hubby got his and we were off to hosp. I was fine until I got to the back and was waiting for them to take me to op room, then my head started playing with me, I felt trapped and kept thinking do I really want to do this? My Hubby and Dad and Sister were there and gave me the support I needed. I can truthfully say it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I woke up pain wasn't anything like I was expecting, and they had a pain med hooked to the iv all I had to do was hit the button when I needed it, I hardly ever used it, I went home the next day after up gi, was scared about that too I didn't have anything but Water and then I was told I had to drink this liquid during this x-ray, I was scared I was going to get sick, but after nothing to eat it tasted rather good, I did have a really sore throat , after surgery for about three days. Just use secrets throat loz. I have my first appt thrus.7/31/08 after surgery, knowing now what I didn't know then I would do it all over again, your best friend will become a body pillow, try to get one it possible, you can roll onto it and support your stomach. Lots of luck

Debe

:biggrin:That is very encouraging debe...thank you... im in the beginning stages of waiting to see the nutritionist and then wating for insurance. But yeah im a bit terrified as well. I keep thinking maybe i should be looking into the DS instead. Kinda scares me thinking of this object in my body. But it also scares me to think of my plumbing being messed with too. lol who knows. I go to my siminar this coming wednesday on the band. Id kinda like to go to a seminar on the DS as well just to see what the differences are and success rates? If anyone knows this please share?? Thank You!:tt2:

Thanks for all the reassurance and support. Thanks for letting me freak out too! :tt2:

I'm going on Friday 8-1 and I'm starting to get a little freaked out, but everytime I think about it, I just think of how great I will feel and how my kids will be able to do so much more with me. Take care and keep the faith! Moe

:biggrin:Wow moe...im excited for you....please let us know how it goes. You are the same age as me. Id be interested in keeping in touch with you. Looks like you have about the same amount of weight to loose as well. Keep me posted. Melisa

How are all of you who were banded since I last posted? I hope you are all doing well!

Moe, be sure to let us know how it goes. I will be thinking of you. Just think you are almost to the start of your new life!! I am doing this for my 3 year old daughter as well. I want to be around a long time for her. You know, just so I can annoy her when she is a teenager and all that fun. LOL:biggrin::)

Thanks! Anytime I get nervous and I look at my sons and get excited again:) Melisa, I'll keep you posted. I'm down 17lbs so far and I'm hoping to get to 20 before surgery, but we'll see. The surgeon told me that the more people lose before surgery, sets them up for success after surgery. I'm hoping she is right:rolleyes:

mdargen, was I supposed to wait to annoy my boys until they were teenagers:lol: LOL, they are so worth it:biggrin:

As soon as I'm able to type, I'll post how it goes. WHOO HOO!

Im soo excite for you moe...good luck and i will be thinking about you! Keep us posted. Hey did you ever ask how long the band can stay in? Is it for life or is it just until we loose all of our weight? Thats one of my questions. Just thot id ask to see if any of you know. Thank You!:teeth_smile: