Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever stop loving to eat?

ok, so please don't think I'm not committed to doing this because I had to appeal it with my insurance 3 times before getting approved. Now I am 2 weeks from surgery and very emotional. I realized I love to eat. I eat whether I am hungry or not, just because I crave sweets, etc. I've been very emotional thinking about working full-time opposite schedules from my husband so that 1 of us is at home with the 4 kids. The only real talk time we get is going out to eat every couple months and really sitting down without the kids. I guess my mind is running crazy. Any advice?

Thanks,

Cindy

Patience.....I TOO am two weeks out.......just keep thinking to your self how much better you are going to feel when that weight starts to fall off........And my lids, just like your family, is my driving force....I can not wait to be able to run after them and be able to keep up with them.......

First of all... you will still be able to go out to eat with your husband! Also remember, going out to eat is about more than just the food (although that's part of it too). It's about the atmosphere, the person or people you're with, the ambiance, the service, the getting away from the house and not cooking.

A lot of us around here are emotional eaters and it's a big part of the recovery we go through after we get our bands. There's no denying it's a struggle of a journey sometimes, and that's just part of what you buy into when you get banded. But that journey is what will help you discover who you are, why you do the things you do, and get control over it... and become a healthier you. No, it won't necessarily prevent you from ever over-eating again but you will do it a lot less and when you do, you'll get right back on track a whole lot faster than you probably do now.

The band is just a physical thing but for many of us it also seems to work on our minds. I find that I just can't eat some of the stuff I used to... not because my stomach won't handle it, but because my head won't. That doesn't stop me from spending time mentally going down the list of foods I could eat, trying to find one that I can indulge in.... but it's the strangest thing, my mind just keeps rejecting one item after another.

What you're feeling is a very normal part of this journey. Jump in, you will tread Water for awhile and eventually you will be swimming laps. Ok I know that's a corny analogy but it really is true. It will have you headed towards a much healthier and happier place.

First of all... you will still be able to go out to eat with your husband! Also remember, going out to eat is about more than just the food (although that's part of it too). It's about the atmosphere, the person or people you're with, the ambiance, the service, the getting away from the house and not cooking.

A lot of us around here are emotional eaters and it's a big part of the recovery we go through after we get our bands. There's no denying it's a struggle of a journey sometimes, and that's just part of what you buy into when you get banded. But that journey is what will help you discover who you are, why you do the things you do, and get control over it... and become a healthier you. No, it won't necessarily prevent you from ever over-eating again but you will do it a lot less and when you do, you'll get right back on track a whole lot faster than you probably do now.

The band is just a physical thing but for many of us it also seems to work on our minds. I find that I just can't eat some of the stuff I used to... not because my stomach won't handle it, but because my head won't. That doesn't stop me from spending time mentally going down the list of foods I could eat, trying to find one that I can indulge in.... but it's the strangest thing, my mind just keeps rejecting one item after another.

What you're feeling is a very normal part of this journey. Jump in, you will tread Water for awhile and eventually you will be swimming laps. Ok I know that's a corny analogy but it really is true. It will have you headed towards a much healthier and happier place.

Ditto to everything said above. I couldn't have said it better myself. I can honestly say I feel like I have a different relationship with food now. I'm only a month out, but things are different. I use to be eating one meal and planning the other. I don't do that anymore. I really think all the chewing allows you to really enjoy your food. I used to eat so fast. Now it takes me about 20-30 minutes to eat. That is a complete WOW factor for me. Good luck and know this is a great place to come with questions, concerns, fears, etc. I know I couldn't have made it without it ;)

I LOVE food and that has not changed since I started this weight loss journey. I enjoy nice restaurants and that has not changed either. What has changed is the way I eat. I tell the server right up front that I am on a very strict diet and to please bring me a small plate with my food. When he or she does that, I take the amount I am allowed and ask that the rest of it be boxed up. Then I sit back and savor my meal and enjoy talking with my husband. I don't feel deprived and we both are still able to enjoy most of our favorite restaurants.

You can do this - and it is worth every bit of the effort it takes.

I'm four months out....and my feelings/attitude about food has started to change. I still enjoy it, but it is starting to lose it's importance.

I have found that I feel so good that all of the negativity I was medicating with food is fading away......I don't NEED it emotionally as much as I did just four months ago.

I'm happy this is happening for me.......

My food issues are shifting as well. I'm almost 3 months post-op and head hunger is a huge issue but one that is changing as time goes on. Some days things go well and some days not so much. Rather than trying to stick to a strict diet and white knuckle it through I'm taking the path of working on my food issues and trying to figure out why I sometimes eat beyond my hunger and how to calm that inner voice that screams for food. Today I went to the gym, ate very healthfully and not very much and then had three small bites of a candy bar after dinner for dessert. Because that was all I wanted. Today is a good day. Tomorrow might be a binge. If it is, I'll try to figure out why. Unfortunately there aren't really any short cuts. But the band definitely makes it all easier. Good luck!

I too thought I'd have food anxiety. But actually, it was quite opposite. My DIET anxiety is now gone. I have no anxiety about cheating, eating too much, quiting, etc. It's very nice. Of course you sometimes want to eat a big ball of rice, but that thought enters your mind one second and is literally gone the next second. At least for me it is.

Like others say on here, you WILL be able to eat the foods you love (unless its rice LOL), so don't worry about it. You'll be fine.

This is going to work for you and you will start to lose weight. As you do, you will need to deal with the emotional issues to why you eat.

Just like others said, you will still be able to eat out with your husband. It's more about the experience and the people you are with than the food. In fact, it is even more of an intimate experience bc now I will just share something w my DH when we go out to dinner.

Eventually you will find that there are other things that you love.

I used to think about food all the time..when my next meal was (while I was eating) what I would eat, when, etc. It consumed me. It no longer does and it is such a better life now!!

i had my 3rd fill june 9th...i can eat most anything..however i can definetly not eat alot by any means...maybe this is my sweet spot?? i was craving a bread bowl with Soup from panera on friday so that's where my husband and I went to dinner...i ate like 5 bites...so not worth it. at this point i almost kinda dread having to eat...i was a finish my plate kinda girl and now i can hardly put a dent into anything. i definetly don't enjoy food like i used to...which i dont think is bad but it also messes with your head a bit too.

I can't thank you all enough for reading my post and responding. I never thought I would feel a bit of depression after getting approved. Never seen that brought up by anyone before but definetly something I think about, being an emotional eater. Its great to know that I can still have my "date night" from time to time with my husband at a restaurant. Also,

looking forward to being able to chase my kids without getting out of breath!

Cindy