Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux---TOO FULL

Ok, so I had my surgery last March and I am very happy with my choice. I have lost 100lbs so far, and only have 45 more to go until I reach my goal. I got an adjustment on Wednesday and I am now having the WORST acid reflux I have ever had. It is waking me up in the middle of the night literally choking me. I know this is probably a symptom of being too full, but I really can not afford to go back to the doctor and have an unfill only to turn around a month later (gaining weight) to pay the $200 bucks again. Even if I do go back for an unfill, it can not be until Monday... Is there anything I can do until then for relief? My doctor wanted me to be on a liquid diet after the fill, but that has seemed to make it worse.

HELP! I AM IN SO MUCH PAIN.

My friends boyfriend had the same thing happen to him - unfortunately, he had to go back in to have some if the fill removed.

Good luck!

This exact thing happened to me. EXACTLY!! It was shooting up into my throat at night, I couldn't sleep at all. I tried sleeping sitting up in a recliner, that helped a little, but not much. It hurt so bad, I put up with it for way to long, weeks, don't do it. Its only money and it will be so worth it in the end to be able to eat again. I lost weight during that time because I couldn't eat, I had to have all of my 7.75cc taken out and a barium swallow done because I waited so long to go in. They wanted to make sure everything was ok with the band. Everything was ok, I was just too tight. That was in May of 08, I am now back up to 7.25 and doing great. It took about four days after unfill for the hurting and pain in my throat to go away. When you do go in for an unfill, be sure to go liquids for a few days to let your stoma and throat heal.

To reiterate the last post, please don't wait too long. Being too full is NOT good. :scared2: Bad acid reflux can be hazardous to your health AND to the band! I was too full once and had the same problems, I suddenly developed a lung infection which I believe may have been caused by aspirating at night. Being too tight can also affect your nutrition as well...when I'm too tight I tend to eat "mushies" , often comprised of carbs like mashed potato, instead of good Protein and veggies. Your fill should be at a level that makes eating good foods possible, but with restriction to the quantity noticable. Try not to eat past 6 or 7 in the evening while you're waiting to get an unfill, and sleep with your head up if possible. Tighter is not always better. Keep us posted!

Mary

Well, I just started my period today, so I think I should wait to see how I feel when that is over. I know that can cause you to feel too tight.... It usually only lasts 3 days or so, so I should know if I need an unfill by Tuesday. I will keep up with only liquids and nothing after 6PM until then to see if I can get through this.:scared2:

I just had a fill last tuesday and I am in the same boat. Terrible reflux. I have lost 7.5 pounds since tuesday (today is sunday) and the reflux has gotten a tiny bit better. I am already taking Protonix for reflux since Feb 2008 due to this same problem. This is my first fill since Feb and I really hope i can keep it. I am not eating much nor drinking much right now due to the reflux.

hi there could any one help i had my band fitted the end of feb 08 was doing really well untill now i had a infill on saturday so am sitting at 6mls and i cart eat and drinking small amounts and have a very bad back pain wich i never had befor and it fills like the food ant going down and just sitting there and then am sick any help????

Ok, SO NOW I can eat... I have been too full before, and this is not what it feels like. I just have the awful burning feeling in my stomach. A friend suggested apple cider vinegar and I tried that tonight, so we shall see if I sleep better. The only thing that seems to calm it down is iced cold drinks. Good thing there is a hot guy serving iced coffee down the street. :thumbup: Anyone know if we can have gaviscon? I have never tried it but since it fizzes in your stomach, I was not sure if I should. Any advice?