Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band VS Lap Band AP-which is better?????

Hey everyone! I'm being banded in Mexico, (Dr. Ortiz) 1 week from today.:) I have been doing even more research again, and have been reading up on the newer Lap Band AP. I emailed my Dr.'s office to see if that is the one that I will be getting, but they responded that they use the regular Lap Band. She (receptionist/consultant) also said that the Lap Band AP is just a replacement version (with a few modifications) of the Lap Band VG, and that it's just a little tactic that Allergan uses to make that 1 sound better. From what I have read about the Lap Band VS the AP, I thought that the AP sounded better (it can be opened if need be without replacing, no tight feeling in the morning, etc...)

So my question is, what do you all think and have inside you? Does anyone know if 1 is actually better than the other? Please tell me some of your experiences with having the AP (and those who don't).

I do know that if my Dr.s office does not carry it, then they are not going to promote it, so that's why I'm asking all of you (and because you're all so helpful). Thanks!

I really don't know about the differences. I just got banded yesterday and know I got the Standard AP. If I remember correctly it holds 10ccs. My doc did leave some of the saline in it from te start so he said I'll have a little more restriction than most from the beginning. My doc said he only uses AP now. But, I'm not sure why. Sorry can't be of more help.

I know many doctors are replacing some of their patients with a troubling band with AP bands. My best friend has an old 4 cc band and is having constant trouble. We go to the same doctor. He plans on switching hers out with the AP band he prefers. Hers was put in by another doctor and he botched the job ROYALLY. She's already had corrective surgery once. She's more than ready to switch it out. Many have no problems with the old bands. It's pretty up to the individual, but you're doing the right thing by researching.

Hey everyone! I'm being banded in Mexico, (Dr. Ortiz) 1 week from today.:thumbup: I have been doing even more research again, and have been reading up on the newer Lap Band AP. I emailed my Dr.'s office to see if that is the one that I will be getting, but they responded that they use the regular Lap Band. She (receptionist/consultant) also said that the Lap Band AP is just a replacement version (with a few modifications) of the Lap Band VG, and that it's just a little tactic that Allergan uses to make that 1 sound better. From what I have read about the Lap Band VS the AP, I thought that the AP sounded better (it can be opened if need be without replacing, no tight feeling in the morning, etc...)

So my question is, what do you all think and have inside you? Does anyone know if 1 is actually better than the other? Please tell me some of your experiences with having the AP (and those who don't).

I do know that if my Dr.s office does not carry it, then they are not going to promote it, so that's why I'm asking all of you (and because you're all so helpful). Thanks!

The AP is a much better band than either the 4cc or the VG. It has 360 degrees of coverage, and the profile of the cuff itself is significantly taller giving greater surface area contact with the stomach. You can only get it in the US I believe. Even though my wife has a 4cc band and has done very well with it, I wouldn't put either a 4cc band or a VG in now because I feel the AP is so much better.

Trace W. Curry, M.D.

Medical Director

Center for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery, Cincinnati, Ohio

Lap Band Surgery Ohio :: Lap Band Doctor Trace W. Curry, M.D. Lap Band, Realize Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy, and Gastric Bypass Surgeon :: FAQ's :: Nutrition

513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: Any information contained within is meant to be general medical advice only. Please consult your surgeon on your specific problem!

I recently found this graphic of the AP band and port. Hope this helps. I have an AP-Large and my doctors switched to the AP once it was offered feeling it was better than the VG.

post-226326-1381313735306_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dr.C and SpecialK (and others before that)! Although now I guess it is too late for me to change anything anyways. My surgery is in less than 4 days!!! I had originally thought that I'd just be able to ask my Dr. for it, but I guess that the AP is not available in Mexico; which, I find so odd since Lap Band was available there before it was available in the US.

I emailed Dr. Ortiz and he said that he will be placing the Lap Band, and that the AP is not really more advanced (and that it just has a mechanism that allows a Dr. to open it if he does not have the ability to open the buckle) He said that we could discuss it more when I get there Wednesday.

I'm still not completely sure that the AP wouldn't be better for me, but I hope that the original one will be fine as well, since that's what it looks like I'm getting. :biggrin::blushing::ohmy::sneaky: