Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Determined to Lose Weight on Vacation

In the past, I've always given myself a free pass on vacations to eat what I wanted. Well, that was before the band. Now, I must continue making changes in my life, and that includes vacation time. I'm leaving for a week-long vacation Monday, and I'm determined to lose weight while I'm gone. I'm going to set my goal for 2 pounds while I'm away. I'm hoping to hold myself accountable by putting it here.

Any tips or encouragement are appreciated!

How have you all done with your weight loss on vacation?

When I am holidaying I tend to do lots more walking than I would usually so my suggestions is to plan lots of sight seeing. have fun!!

Thanks...we are planning to do alot of walking, so I think that will help. I'm also planning to swim laps.

I went to the store today and bought some provisions to make sure I'll have healthy, high Protein options.

If you have certain products that you use that aren't perishable or you can find some way to preserve the ones that are, I would highly recommend it. I went overseas and I made sure to bring my favorite Protein bars and 20lbs(!) worth of Protein shakes because I knew I wouldn't be able to find them where I was. It's really important to have these products on hand, as they will help you stay on plan as much as possible.

Like you said, the walking a lot will help. I did not make any official exercise time during my vacation, but it was built in naturally by all the walking I did.

And I did lose weight while on vacation, which is a great feeling.

Have a great time wherever you're going!

I think you have a great attitude auntlucy! Its great to see a bandster like you :tongue_smilie:. I recently went on vacation, I wasn't quite as good as I had hope to be, but still pretty good. I did eat a little too many sweets, but did much better on the exercise and drinking of "empty calories" (i.e. frozen drinks!!! :tt1:)

hi- i'm leaving on vacation too; this friday and will return the following saturday. i've been repeating to myself everyday for the past week, "i will stick with my plan." in the past i would ALWAYS shrugg off the diets & exercising while on vacation.i know i will be following my gym routine for sure, i'm just hoping i can stay away from bad carbs!!!

Well, I'm 3 days in to my vacation, and so far I'm doing well. I have no idea what the scale says, but I'm eating right. We are getting a lot of exercise in with all the walking and swimming, and I'm drinking a ton of Water to stay hydrated. So far, I've stayed around 1100 calories a day. The "provisions" I brought have been a life saver, along with my Protein bullets. I did have three small bites of carrot cake, but that's as bad as I've been. I should be on track for my 2 pounds lost by the end of my vacation if I keep it up. And if I haven't lost 2 pounds, I don't even care...I'm just proud of myself for sticking with the plan so far.

Kiki, good luck on vacation. If I can stick to it, so can you!

Thanks for your encouraging words NukeChik!

thanks lucy =) i'll be as strong as i can & resist the "vacation foods"!!!

Edited by KikiVal315

I am going to Florida for 2 1/2 weeks in August and plan on continuing to scale's downward motion while I am on my trip as well. I just wanted to tell you, Aunt Lucy, think of changing your attitude about food as not 'good' and 'bad.' I CHOOSE healthy foods and make HEALTHY choices to nourish my body... However, a slice of carrot cake occasionally should not be viewed as 'bad.' I just know that that majority of choices I make need to be healthy... The band offers us a tool in weight loss, and I really think I've been successful so far because I don't view things as 'bad' or 'off limits.' I just CHOOSE to make better choices for me...

I've gone on 3 vacations of 4 days or so since my surgery and definitely didn't adhere to my post-surgery regime but I also didn't revert to old lifestyle. I lost weight everytime. I think your body needs those vacations. The best of 3 was when I went to Puerto Rico for 4 days and came home to 5lb loss...don't shy away from changing up your bodies routine!

kgloverii, thanks for your thoughts. I actually do have a very healthy attitude about food. I believe food is there to nourish and fuel our bodies, so I only try to put in things that are healthy. When I say "bad foods", those are some of the things that I have tried to stay away from because I know myself. Just like an alcoholic needs to stay away from alcohol, there are certain things that are trigger foods for me that it's just better that I avoid as much as possible. Plus, if I were to eat a slice of cake, I'd have a hard time getting the nutrients in on the calorie intake I'm trying to stick to. But a few bites of something here and there won't kill me. And, I also believe that God wants us to enjoy food on occasion. Thanks again!

I'm back from vacation, and I weighed this morning. It looks like I lost 2 pounds while I was gone! Yeah...I met my goal!

The best part is that I never felt deprived. I made healthy choices but got things that I love. I had a few bites of things from other people's plates, and it was amazing how just the taste of it seemed to satisfy me.

Thanks for the support that you all gave me!

Did you reply to a post I had about my goose egg port area after my surgery? I am trying to find the person who wrote me several times to see if the port area ever went down - mine is still sticking up after 4 weeks - not as bad but not as flat as I would have liked. Thanks!

Yes, that may have been me. Mine has gone down. At times it seems more prevalent than other times though. I'm honestly not too worried about it. I'll take the little lump in exchange for losing weight.