Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have some questions **Newbie**

:confused:Hello everyone,

I was banded on July 2nd but I do not see my Doctor for a follow up until 7/15. When I first left the hospital I drank very little in regard to full liquid diet I am on. Now I can drink about a cup of Water,Protein drink, broth or whatever in 30-45 mins. Is that bad? Is something wrong? Everything I have read said no more than 2 ounces at a time. Since I have not had any fills everthing still should just slide through right? I also don't think I am swollen anymore. I am just concerned I am messing something up and any help would be great. Oh and I do get the full feeling I am just concerned I am taking in to much liquid.< /p>

Thanks for help with a new Bander

Hi 1day,

I too was banded on July 2. I think you are doing ok. I am on full liquids right now (protien drinks, Soup, sugar free pudding). I don't feel very hungry yet, but I am eating til I am full - which is pretty darn quick these days, even with liquids. I drink more than 2 oz at a time. I was never told not to drink too much. I was only told to drink 1 hour after meals, but drink slowly. Not sure if this helps or not, but I think you are doing fine.

:biggrin:Thanks Barbiek You gave me just what I needed, support.

1dayat at time,

You are welcome! That's what we are all here for. When I send out posts, people always reply. It's nice having the support here. I didn't tell many people about my surgery, so this is my only support (besides husband and sister - but they really don't know what I am going through)!

PS: I noticed you lost 9.5 lbs ~ just like me!

May we both have continued success in our weight loss!

Edited by Barbiek

I also don't think I am swollen anymore.

You are deffinatley still swollen. You just don't hurt anymore. The evidence is that you still can't eat much. Your doctor can't do a fill until the swelling has subsided. Most fills take place 4-6 weeks after surgery so it will probably take that long for you to fully heal. I am two weeks out of surgery and I can eat half a chicken breast. Good Luck.

Hey music man,

When I first read your post, I thought you said you could eat a half a chicken!!!! (I was kinda worried there!) LOL!! I'm glad I re-read it and it said half chicken breast. May you continue to have success as well! Good Luck!

Hi there everyone; I have a few questions I hope someone can answer. It seems that the weight losses I have seen are quite slow after the first few months I expected more. Also the diet and guidelines given for post op seem so strict If I could follow that diet I wouldn't need the band to start. I don't understand this i'm all for eating well but i've proven dieting fails for me...where is the benefit of the band.

MusicMan2008 thanks for the info. I just was not sure about the swollen thing because I can drink alot more now then I could. I thought I broke something. I think I get to go to Mushy stuff or better food at least next week, so I am excited I just don't want to mess things up. Also I thought you said half a chicken as well so I guess Barbiek and I both are fantizing about food.< /p>

Barbiek it is so cool we are on the same track. My family knows what I did as well as a couple of really close friends. But I agree they do not know what we are dealing with. My Mom had Bypass 8 years ago but she even says it is not the same except we both have to deal with emtional eating or head hunger versus true hunger. From all the reseach I have done I feel I made the best choice. Because while her new stomach can stretch over time I think we still have better restriction over the long term.

vanman fron what I have read the band is designed to make the weight loss slow and steady.I am still very new but the post op diet is not fun and I have realized the hold food had on me. I am not purfect but I am trying. I tried to do the liquid thing before I had the surgery (I really only had 1 liquid day that my surgeon made me do so I feel very lucky) and that did not work well at all or at the least I could not do it. But once I got the band you kind of have no choice but to follow the post op diet your doctor gives you because if you don't you kind of feel bad. Also you feel the pressure of the band so you know you are full. If I can do this post op diet anyone can. I know you are nervous but we can all do this.:thumbs_down:

Hi there everyone; I have a few questions I hope someone can answer. It seems that the weight losses I have seen are quite slow after the first few months I expected more. Also the diet and guidelines given for post op seem so strict If I could follow that diet I wouldn't need the band to start. I don't understand this i'm all for eating well but i've proven dieting fails for me...where is the benefit of the band.

This is true. But for most of us, we could follow a diet for awhile, and be successful, we just simply could not stay on it for life, and when we went off, the weight come back plus more. That is where life with the band changes things.

Yes you do have strict post op guidelines---for a reason! When the band is placed around the upper portion of the stomach, the lower pouch of stomach is pulled up and stitched over the band in a few places, in order to hold the band in proper position. Then scar tissue begins forming---that will be the permanent assurance of proper band placement. When we eat food, any solids at all, the stomach has to digest them, to push them on through to the intestines. When digesting food the stomach kneads, and squeezes to break down the food. If you allow it to digest foods while the scar tissue is trying to form, it breaks down the process, and you take a chance of it not "seating" properly. You might not know it now--but if you create a pocket of space for it, as opposed to a snug fit, you leave yourself open for a slip later on down the road.

So you girls concerned with drinking----drink liquids, try not to overfill your stomach all at once---think of the weight involved, just spread it out some....and don't cheat and eat!! LOL

So yes you must diet for the few weeks following banding. If you seriously cannot imagine dieting for another few weeks, then banding is likely not for you. If you think you could manage another round of dieting, then it might be.

The difference is, about the time you are ready to throw in the towel--as we have in the past, it is time to get a fill. And the band is allowed to step in and help.

Restriction does not always come fast, but when you reach a level of restriction that helps you manage Portion Control, and restriction that helps control the hunger itself--life is a whole new ballgame!!!

It is not dieting like we ever did before!

Personally, I do not "diet" I eat pretty much any kind of food. I do try to keep healthy food on the forefront, simply because I realize I am eating less, so need to pack more nutrition into a smaller amount--in order to maintain my own health. But I have Cookies, or ice cream, I do not deny myself. I no longer like the way many things taste. I used to eat those Little Debbie things on occasion---YUCK!!! Once you learn to chew well as a bandster must do, they taste TERRIBLE!!!

It has taken me 2 years to get here, but it took me a lot longer than 2 years to blow up to the size I was. It has been an awesome learning experience. I now know what a normal portion of food is. I understand the need to eat certain foods over others, and how they affect my body right now, and how they affect my hunger in 2 hours. I was an important part of this success. The band did not do it alone.

On the other hand, I did not do it alone either, there is no way I could have accomplished this without the band.

So yes, it is something you must work with. But it is not a lifetime of supplements, and nothing was removed from my body. Together the band and I have control!

Only you know if you are willing to try again with a diet for awhile, or if you can commit to working with your Dr. and with the band to make it work.

Good Luck!

Kat

Kat Thank you so much.

Your explanation was concise and to the point. I leave today for Mexico and return monday. I will send you all a post then. Thanks for the support and I'll hope for the best.

Vanman