Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I respect your right to an opinion...but go have it somewhere else.

Pix-

I applaud you for saying something. If someone (a friend, co-worker, whomever) says or does something you don't agree with, I believe one should speak up. While I believe that we've gone a little overboard about being "PC", I also think that had you stewed and just gotten madder at her, she would've never known why you were offended/pissed. The fact that the N word is even in our vocabulary is craziness to me!

Of course I also believe that picking on fat people is the last acceptable form of bias.

People flock to me wherever I go, and I don't mind. At work, where the majority of people I tend to see ,especially in the wee hours, are older white men. They walk up to my desk and start talking about random things. I don't mind. I enjoy a little random and I tend to be able to sit and look interested for a long peroid of time. Everyone has there talents- thats mine.

It seems, especially lately, that no matter how they start the conversation as we sit alone in the big showroom they always lean in and say something they assume I will agree with about other races. I do not like these terms they use and it shocks and sickens me.

I don't share my opinions to them on this matter for several reasons.

1. I am at work and these are customers. Not my customers as I don't sell anything, but it's a car dealership so even though I don't run around kissing their butt the way the salesmen do I am still required to be ultra polite. I also feel work is not the proper place to get in such a discussion with someone I have never met before. I don't agree with them. I usually just turn away and start doing something with my computer or luckily I am really buzy so I stop looking up after I get off the phone.

2. I have a deep respect for freedom. When people make comments against sexual preference, race, gender I will share my opinion but I don't fight against it. People have the right to their beliefs no matter how I feel that they are ignorant and wrong. I just have nothing to do with them.

3. I am usually in shock that someone I am having a pleasant conversation with five seconds before leans in and throws the n-word around when they have known me for three minutes. I am kind of struck dumb. I am not racist...It's hard for me to believe there are still proud racist out there that have all their teeth and can afford a new car.

When I went to the lake this weekend. My grandmother started complaining about service she recieved at gas stations and SHE started saying racist things too. Now we have always butted heads on this issue and instead of fighting with her as I did when I was younger I walk away and take myself out of the conversation. I won't talk politics, gay rights, or anything race related with her because it starts family wars. In fact...I won't talk politics with any of my family. I'm the black sheep of the family or I guess you could call me the rainbow liberal sheep of the family.

Anyway - I don't avoid confrontation...but I do think that people will become ignorant and cruel during one. I will state my beliefs and debate...but I will not fight, and I will not try to convince someone that I am right and they are wrong. I mean, I AM right and they ARE wrong, but I understand they will not admit it so I will not let that anger me.

The purpose for this long winded post is mostly to ask what you guys do when someone assumes you share their beliefs but you really really really do not. What do you do when they do this at your work place.

How do YOU handle confrontation?

i completely agree with you, i just thought this part was a little funny...and i will tell you why...because in todays society, the only people it's politically correct (and i say this with thick sarcasm) to insult are overweight people and poor southerners...so when you say "I am not racist...It's hard for me to believe there are still proud racist out there that have all their teeth and can afford a new car." i have to remind you

for someone who can't afford dentures and a new car...that's kind of insulting to suggest they are automatically a proud racist...i know a lot of good folks with no teeth and bad credit that would not say a harsh word against anybody no matter what race they are...but i don't think you meant it that way...just found it amusing...no sarcasm intended...

To paraphrase:

All it takes for evil to continue is for good people to do (or say) nothing.

Do you believe everything happens for a reason? If you do, then you might wonder why all of a sudden so many people are coming to you with the same thing. Could it be that the universe or god is trying to tell you something? Do you think maybe its time you did speak up and let people know you won't be a party to what they are saying?

Everyone has a right to their opinion, what about you? Don't you have an equal right to your own? The next time someone comes out with one of these comments, you can let them know you don't agree with them. Doesn't have to be rude, just to the point.

When the Nazis came for the communists,

I remained silent;

I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,

I remained silent;

I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,

I did not speak out;

I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,

I remained silent;

I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,

there was no one left to speak out.

That post brought back so many memories! My father raised us on that particular saying - I mean it was drummed into me - and I am so grateful for it.

I have never stepped back from any kind of a racist/predjudicial comment, I have been known to get into knock down drag round in the dirt rows with total strangers when they make ignorant remarks. I have found that the vast majority who make these comments are NEVER challenged on them and when you actually question their knowledge (god forbid) of the chosen subject, they back off fairly quickly.

I had an interesting convesration with some people on holiday who were being quite vocal on their views of Muslims, at the end of which they had to admit that they had knowledge whatsoever of the Koran, and that perhaps there was chance that other religions had Fundametalists in them also...... sheesh...!

I tend to change my race/religion to make the point - I am very dark skinned, so I will just say, actually I am part black/asian/hispanic/jewish/muslim - whatever it happens to be that is getting slated. I find its quite an effective method!