Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all, I was wondering if any of you are/were nighttime eaters like me. I was banded June 25, just about 2 weeks ago and I have for some reason, thank God, stopped eating at night and the weight is just falling off. I have spent many years trying not to eat at night and nothing worked until I got this band. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Dietfree

My story isn't exactly the same but since my pregnancy 7.5 years ago I have been eating at night. Sometimes not aware at all and sometimes aware but felt like I was in a trance. It was always the same food, Peanut Butter. I would have to keep it in the house for the kids (and hubby) but there were times I would put it out in the garage so I wouldn't get it (and sometimes would still go out there to find it while mostly asleep) I turned the doorknob backwards on my pantry so it would lock on the inside...it didn't matter, I would pick the lock in my sleep. It was bad! I would eat anywhere from a teaspoon to half a small jar in a night. Some nights I would become very restless until I had my "fix" I don't know if there was something I was missing during the day that my body was craving at night or what?!?!? I tried sleeping pills and it would only get worse..sometimes eating other foods as well. I would wake up several times a night while on sleeping pills. Finally I tried melatonin. I hadn't taken it before because I thought other pills would be far more powerful than some natural Vitamin. WRONG! I took melatonin for a week and results got better and better with each night and within a week I was sleeping through the night. I haven't had a LICK of Peanut Butter in 3 weeks! It was weird too, the day I started low-carbing it is the night I slept through the night! So I don't know if it was the melatonin or the low carb/exercise plan, but it worked and I can't believe how I suffered for all of those years and now no more!

Congrats on stopping your sleep eating! That is a terrible problem to have and its great to see that you have stopped!

Nightime eating is my downfall. I do really well during the day, but come sundown, I'm hungry and want to eat. Thankfully, I've been working out, so eating something hasn't put any weight back on me. I wish I knew how to "kick" this habit. Any suggestions?

Night time eating is defititley a problem for me. Mostly its out of boredom/habit. I hope that once I get my band that things will change too!

Bonnie,

I also used to eat sleep years ago. It was the strangest thing. Most of the time I was also in a trance-like state, but sometimes I would wake up having no clue that I had eaten except the evidence like empty wrappers or the such. Congrats on your nights of full sleep and eat free nights! I know the feeling.

Angel

Yep I hope this night eating will change for me also. I feel such guilt as I do so good at Breakfast and lunch eating healthy foods and come night I blow it all. But I don't really blow it with junk food likes Desserts and chips etc but with the quantity of the good foods. Like 3 to 4 Protein Bars or string cheese and crackers. But I know I shouldn't be eating the bars and cheese either. I sure do hope with the lap band this will stop. Good luck to you all as I know what you are all going through with the night eating.

Wow all this time I thought I was alone... It is good to know that there is hope for me after all.. Don't have my exact date yet, I am going for the upper gi on Saturday... Lab work tomorrow...

I can't wait to say the weight is just melting off...

I have always been a night time eater as well. Since I was banded at the end of April that has stopped. I rarely feel hunger... still get the munchies occasionally but I really think thats more emotional than physical.

Hello all, I was wondering if any of you are/were nighttime eaters like me. I was banded June 25, just about 2 weeks ago and I have for some reason, thank God, stopped eating at night and the weight is just falling off. I have spent many years trying not to eat at night and nothing worked until I got this band. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Dietfree

I've always been a night time eater too. I could make healthy choices all day long but it seems I would just "snap" at night.

Since being banded, I've only eaten at night a few times -- those are my "binges" and believe me, they're nothing like they used to be. But they are few and far between. Most days since being banded, I don't even eat between meals. Three meals a day and nothing else. I haven't had a potato chip or any other kind of snack in months. It's unbelievable!

Yes, there's hope for all us night time eaters!

Thats great Nance. I love to read all of these nighttime eating success stories. Nighttime eating is B A D for us and glad to see others are conquering it as well!