Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How easy or difficult has it been to lose weight with Lap Band?

How easy or hard has it been to lose weight with Lap Band?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How easy or hard has it been to lose weight with Lap Band?

• Extremely Easy: Easiest weight loss attempt I've ever made!
    • Very easy
    • Easy
    • Somewhat easy
    • About the same difficulty as other weight loss attempts
    • Somewhat difficult
    • Difficult
    • Very difficult
    • Extremely difficult: Hardest weight loss attempt I've ever made!
    • Impossible: I'm not losing

the first 3 months i found somewhat daunting - because my weightloss just was so slow, i mean snails pace. BUT i was not gaining, for the first time in forever, so i focused on that. i sorta burried my head in the sand with exercise & retraining my eating habits & concentrated on 10lbs at at time. get out of the 190's, 180's & so forth - i found looking at losing 80lbs all at once overwhelming .... so i kept my focus in small itervals.

now i can say it's easy, proper eating habits & exercise are the norm - not something i have to fight myself with. if i over indulge or not exercise one day, well tomorrow i can start anew - the band lets me get back on track rather than the "old days" of starting the diet back up on MONDAY.

My vote is for "the same difficulty as other weight loss attempts". I say that because I currently have no restriction, so I'm dealing with the same issues I did when I had no band. Willpower, hunger, overeating, etc. I'm currently eating a low carb diet to help with the hunger and overeating. I've been able to sustain willpower thus far...Thank God for my husband whose also Low carbing, my BFF who had WLS with me, and this site for everyone's support and encouragement.

When I have some restriction, then I'm sure I will change my mind. I won't feel so much like I'm "dieting". I know that low carb works for weight loss, but it is definitely not the way of eating that I want for the long run. It's not even the fatty foods that I miss (even though it would be nice to have a bite if I wanted to without gaining 2 lbs.) What I really miss is my yogurt, sugar-free pudding, raisin bran crunch, apples, bananas, grapes....the healthier things that I would eat if I had restriction.:( I will get there, hopefully on August 4 (2nd fill)!

I love my band and consider it to be my saving grace. For me the surgery and recovery time was painful, and I have given up so many things since being banded. At first I wondered if I had made a mistake, but as I healed and lost weight I started to feel better on so many levels. Those changes would not have been possible if I had to rely on willpower alone. My band has given me the strength, the courage, and the confidence to move forward in life and become a healthier, happier person.

I think we have to take restriction in consideration with this poll. And of course retriction is personal. Right now I have 7.5 cc in a 9 cc band and am still not at an ideal place. Maybe one more fill will do it. I'm not losing at a fast rate but I am happy never the less.

I so would have loved to have said it was easy, but like others, this was a difficult question to answer. In all honesty, I could not answer that it is easy. The first year, it was, everything was perfect and the weight was literally melting off. Unfortunately, since then I have become one of those people who is really having difficulty reaching proper restriction. I have been so over restricted that I slipped my band and had to be completely unfilled. Since then, I am either over restricted or not restricted enough. Usually the latter because I am so afraid of having too much restriction again. In the past year, what I have lost has been due to pure willpower more than anything. But, since I have learned that a small amount of fill can make a huge difference for me, I am trying to slowly work my way back up to my sweet spot. Hopefully, once I get there again, things will start working better for me and I can get the rest of my weight off.

With all that being said, I still love my band and know that if not for it, I would probably weigh well over 400 pounds by now. I am truly thankful for the near 90 pounds it has helped me lose thus far, and am confident I will not regain those pounds ever again.

I've really found it very easy and definitely my easiest ever attempt at weight loss. Its been automatic for the most part and Ive kept it coming off with the amount of running I do, also easy because I really love running.

so yeah, easy. Hard work, yes, but I never really faltered kind of easy.

Whilst I certainly DID significantly change habits and atittudes and lifestyle (which lead to weight loss) I didnt find that hard because I was just so ready to do that.

I agree with what most people said here if you have restriction it's easier. Right now I am dieting every second of every day. So far with my 5cc's I have no restriction and I am feeling very hungry these last few days and found myself taking a cookie or two without even thinking about it. An old habit I guess. NOT GOOD! Hoping after my second fill tomorrow I can say oh yeah this is easy.......

I have never worked as hard as I have over the last 13 months, which makes the journey hard. That said, I have found the weight loss to be relatively easy. As others have said, I don't experience the ravenous hunger that I used to have continuously. I still experience "head hunger" on a regular basis, but the band has helped me to manage that hunger.

This journey is really ALL about my head - has very little to do with my stomach. I have done 95% of the work that has brought me success. The band has contributed immensely, and I am so glad I have it, but I did all the work.

My general physician told me that I should get by-pass surgery. I told him I wanted the band. I have gotten very good results with the band. My Doctor is now on the band wagon. I have blood labs next month with him. He told me to go to weight loss meetings. It is a struggle every day. I'm running away from morbid obesity as fast as I can. I will not return to that world. This is one of the reasons I'm on the band (realize brand band). Restrictions = 0. Banded 1/15/08. By Dr. Soong & Dr. Atkinson at SWCC in Las Vegas, Nevada. Pre-op #352 pounds. Today at clinic # 233 pounds. #119 pounds lost. No fills yet. It was much more Difficult to carry around 119 extra pounds. That is equal to 3 five gallon jugs of Water almost full that are impossible for me to lift today. hasta pronto, George :biggrin2:

If you do your part, the band will do its part. The band will not do it alone. I've lost 83lbs in 111 days with about 60lbs to go and I haven't had a fill so far.

Good Luck to everyone!

WELL said HEATHERO! I too agree that I don't really get hungry. My tummy growls more than ever but I think thats great. I love it when it growls. I can go about 3 hrs and then my tummy will start making noise so I either do a Protein Drink, snack or meal depending on what time of day it is. My cravings have gone way down, not gone but so far I haven't had anything simply b/c I craved it. My sons bday was yesterday and I ate 2 bites of cake and was done. Preband, I would of eaten 2 pieces easy and not so little pieces either. Its a tool and I have to make it work but it def makes it easier. I had a fill of 4cc's at time of surgery and have a lot of restriction. I couldn't do it without restriction though! Getting the band was exactly what I needed to get this weight off.

It has been terrible for me and I regret having the procedure at all. It has been too inconsistent in it's day to day that I have more unhealthy habits than I did before the band. Maybe it is due to complications or just my usual bad luck...but you cant practice all of the rules when the tool doesnt work or works inconsitently from day to day and sometimes hour to hour. Seems like others are doing well though. I know some people in person that all seem to have had a lot of trouble with it so hopefully we arent just being exposed to the exited newbies and the success stores on these forums...

<P>

</P>

<P>My doc gave me a great piece of advice: "Don't think about the band so much. Just go out and live your life." Once I took that to heart, a bulk of the weight just melted away. </P>

<P>Sometimes *thinking* about the band can be counter productive. So, for me, being on LPT for hours and fixating on calorie counting, band feelings, etc. seems to work against me. </P>

<P> </P>

<P>Just some thoughts.

</P>

<P> </P>

<P>Do you ever have problems with the band though? Like being stuck or any other complications? Do/did you follow an exact eating plan as given by doctor? Anything you want to add is appreciated. </P>

<P> </P>

<P> </P>

I weighed 301 at surgery and went down to 182 or something like that in the first 3 months (which was slow imo) but then have gone back up to 194 in the past few months. I am so jealous (but glad for) the people that talk about how they are no longer hugry after getting the band and satisfied by the small meals and how great restriction can be and that have had success. I wish everyone continued success that this has been working for!!!!

so, if i'm reading correctly - you went from 301 to 182 in 3 months and feel as if this was slow? that level of weight loss is HUGE in my readings here on this forum for that period of time, i barely lost 20lbs in the first 3 months.

i can appreciate the struggle with fills/unfills - took me 7 fills to control my ravenous appetite, then after 2 months i tightened up so bad - i struggled at each meal, had to have 2 subsequent unfills.

i would seriously request a sit down w/your Dr to discuss your inability to eat properly **to me you sound too tight** - but i'm no expert. i just found this was a slipperly slope of trial & error to find that perfect spot.., it you have a placement issue that's something alltogether different & again your surgeon should be of assistance.

i wish you well!!!

so, if i'm reading correctly - you went from 301 to 182 in 3 months and feel as if this was slow? that level of weight loss is HUGE in my readings here on this forum for that period of time, i barely lost 20lbs in the first 3 months.

i can appreciate the struggle with fills/unfills - took me 7 fills to control my ravenous appetite, then after 2 months i tightened up so bad - i struggled at each meal, had to have 2 subsequent unfills.

i would seriously request a sit down w/your Dr to discuss your inability to eat properly **to me you sound too tight** - but i'm no expert. i just found this was a slipperly slope of trial & error to find that perfect spot.., it you have a placement issue that's something alltogether different & again your surgeon should be of assistance.

i wish you well!!!

Wow sorry that was a serious typo/freudian slip...I mean to say 282/294. I surely wouldnt be complaining about being in onederland lol...If I put it more in perspective, the 21 lbs I lost in 3 months was mostly in the 2 weeks of liquid after the procedure. I lost another 5 lbs the rest of that period. I also was doin ok with the band during that time as far as it seemed to be working correctly as it's function as an aid in reducing hunger and providing the right restriction - but that was short lived.

What do you do once you find the perfect spot...obviously you cant be set there forever, it may last a few months or weeks and then what...do you have to start the whole process over again? I know that for me, this was something that was never brought up in the pre-op. It was more like, you get a fill every few months and you are good to go...I do hope it is a matter of being too tight but how can one determine that when it is so night and day different from day to day or hour to hour?

The quote someone responded to me is on the money...regarding forget about the band and go live your life...but when it is constant issues and inconsistency, you have to make appointment after appointment to 'tweak' it, how do you integrate it into a normal part of life that you can sortof forget about and move on with living?