Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how can I be gaining?

What am I doing wrong? I am almost 4 weeks post-op and still on soft foods. I am eating small portions, 4 to 6 oz at the most and not eating between meals. Drinking only Water and sugar free lemonade. I guess I am averaging around 500 calories a day, possibly even less some days and I have gained 2 pounds this week. I have not had a fill yet but I don't see how that will matter when I am eating the same amount that I would if filled. I am starting to regret getting the band. I lost better on Weight Watchers and Atkins and I was eating a ton of food on both. How is it physically possible to gain weight on such a small amount of food? Help!!!

Your body thinks your starving. It's slowed down your metabolism and has decided to turn any carb you eat into a fat cell. You have to eat more. And you have to eat more Protein and get rid of as many carbs as you can.

That's great that you lost more weight with Atkins or Weight Watchers, but if you got the band that must mean that it didn't stay off very long. The band is a lifetime tool for your health- NOT a quick and easy weightloss option.

Hang in there...you're fighting the hardest fight of all- against your own body. But the great news is, you're on your way!

Megan

Hi,I understand your fustration I went for my first fill yesterday and when I weighted in I had gained 2 lbs. from my last visit.I was banded on 8/4/03.I was very disappoined and let the Dr. know how I was feeling.He told me this happens frequently pre fill.He then gave me a 1.25 fill and said he would do another one in 2 weeks if this does not do it.Well I am very restricted now and fill the way I did post op but post op only lasted about 2 weeks and then I was able to eat anything and was hungry very often.I am not going to give up I have alot of money invested in this and feel that when I get the right amount of fill things will kick in.Please don't give up and give it a chance.Keep us informed on your progress.

Thanks for the support! The reason I am feeling so frustated is that if I am eating the same amount now that I would be eating if I was filled and I am not losing but gaining, what will being filled change? When filled I will not be eating less. If my body thinks it's starving now that is not going to change after a fill. I am eating mostly Protein...I am following the diet the doctor gave me which is 6 servings of Protein, 2 breads, 1 milk, 1 veg, 1 fruit. I'm not always eating 2 breads, some days I don't have any. I guess I really need to put the scale away and just trust that this will work in the long run. I just really want it to be working NOW!!!

bandgal

8/25/03

It is probably just that you are retaining Fluid. Nobody could gain 2 pounds of fat on 500 cals a day.

However, I do agree that 500 cals is a bit low for long-term eating. It seems like most bandsters I know of eat at least 1000 cals a day once they're on solid food.< /p>

500 calories is not much. Maybe you need to up your calorie intake? Are you exercising? If so you may be gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat. I gained also and worked hard to get it back off. I now have a second fill and am very, very restricted but I love it and have lost 3 lbs in 4 days. Maybe you are retaining Water....are you getting at least 64 ozs??? Is it that time of the month? I eat like a horse around that time. Could be lots of things. Don't give up, it is only 2 lbs.

Keep us posted.

Guest daisygirl03

From everything I read, Water is absolutely #1 and most people retain a lot of water. Keep hydrated! Good luck and hang in there.

Dear Bandgal,

Please read carefully!

You are not eating enough. I do not know what gave you the impression that Bandsters only eat 500 calories a day. You are starving yourself and will not lose this way. Please believe me when I say this to you.

You need to maintain at least 1000- 1200 calories to maintain healthy weight loss. Most of this should be Protein and veggies and if there is any room left, then very little carbs.

It is normal to see the scale go up and down a few pounds especially after coming off a liquid/ puree diet. I plateaued for two weeks after coming off the full liquids and purees. I even gained 2 pounds and kept bouncing back and forth for several weeks ready to pull my hair off.

Put away the scale. Eat until you are full, not stuffed just satisfied.

Exercise! Exercise!

Please look at the long term here, not for instantanious results.

I know I am regurgitating everything others have said, but look at the successful bandsters and you will see a pattern.

Babs in TX

6/23/03

-47 and counting

Thank you everyone for your replys!! Everyone is telling me that 500 calories a day is not enough and that I need to eat more. My many years of dieting have taught me that same thing, but I do not see how I can possibly get 1000 calories a day eating only 3 meals a day and keeping the meal size at 4 to 6 ounces each. This is what my surgeon told me to do. How can I make 1 1/2 cups of food equal 1000 calories? I was instructed not to eat between meals but it seems that is the only way I can get in enough food/calories/nutrition. Experienced bandsters, please tell me how you do it.

Thanks!

bandgal

8/25/03

Hi Bandgal,

I went through the same thing coming off the liquid / puree diet.

Heres some ideas:

4 oz of hamburger - 300 calories 27 grams of Protein

4 oz steak - 300 calories - 27-30 grams of Protein

scrambled eggs with 2 strips of bacon - 230 calories - 24 grams of protein

4-6 oz piece of lean pork - 300-350 calories - 25-30 grams of protein

2oz of cheese - 200 calories - 15 grams of protein

6 oz of fish with dill sauce - 200 calories- 30 + grams of protein

shrimp and scallop combo - 250 calories 30+ grams of protein

Red meat has more calories than fish or chicken and also may keep you full longer.

Add some grilled veggies or a salad with Salad Dressing which also has calories and you will have no trouble reaching a 1000 a day. If you figure 350-400 calories a meal plus a snack, you will have no trouble to reach the 1000-1200 mark with 18 oz of food per day. By the way, the idea of the band is to eat until you are satisfied, not by some exact quantity. It is a different amount for everyone. My first two month it took 7-9 oz for me to be satisfied, but I was still losing at the rate o f three pounds per week.

Babs in TX

334/287/180

6/23/03

Originally posted by bandgal

Thank you everyone for your replys!! Everyone is telling me that 500 calories a day is not enough and that I need to eat more. My many years of dieting have taught me that same thing, but I do not see how I can possibly get 1000 calories a day eating only 3 meals a day and keeping the meal size at 4 to 6 ounces each. This is what my surgeon told me to do. How can I make 1 1/2 cups of food equal 1000 calories? I was instructed not to eat between meals but it seems that is the only way I can get in enough food/calories/nutrition.

Bandgal, your surgeon has given you a diet plan for recovery. If you are only four weeks out your body is still recovering from the surgery and postop liquid diet. You're just adjusting, and everyone agrees a plateau at this point is par for the course. I've seen the same two pounds come and go for the last ten days!

I agree with Babs that the idea of banding isn't to eat to a specific portion size. Portion size will limit itself by necessity when you have proper restriction. Right now you're just torturing yourself by eating so little, to no purpose! And when your body does adjust and you do start losing again--which WILL happen--your doctor will see that you're losing weight on his starvation diet and decline your request for a fill. That's just self-defeating, IMO.