Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have crunchy knees...does that get better after losing weight?

I'm not banded yet, but I lurk here from time to time to get general advice and info.

My knees are not so good I think. Anytime I put pressure on them like climbing stairs, they crackle and crunch. It doesn't really hurt, it's just disgusting to feel and hear. Did that used to happed to anyone else before you lost weight? Did losing making it better or is it irreversible? Thanks in advance for everyone's input :lol:

Kimmie,

Every pound you lose takes four pounds of pressure off of your knees.

The snap, crackle and pop may not go away, but it certainly will hurt less.

I went to my PCP and said the same thing. "I have a crunchy knee." He sent me to an orthopedic surgeon who told me that I have arthritis in that knee and a loss of cartlidge. He told me that the first thing to do was to lose weight and exercise, and if that didn't help we'd work from there. He suggested swimming, Water aerobics or biking, so I purchased a recumbent bike.

It still aches at times and crunches at times, but with the exercise and the weight I have lost so far, I do feel a difference. I still can't get on the floor and back up again, but I can walk longer distances and stand better. I don't think I'll every feel 100% again, but I'm hoping that with every pound I lose I get closer to normal.

I have crunchy knees too, but it's getting better with the weight loss. I don't notice them as much anymore. I think the longer you wait to lose weight, the worse they will get.

I live in a ranch style house, but when I would go to my mom's I dreaded going up her 14 steps to use the bathroom. I haven't noticed the crunch for a while so maybe its gone. I will tell you that I voluntarily push mowed my back yard and had no problem whatsoever with my knees. That is something I would have never tackled before. I wouldn't have had the energy to do it before. I wouldn't even wanted to be seen doing that before.

I have terrible knees and they did the same thing. Unfortunately, I have lost 70 pounds (only 20 more to go) and they still sound as bad as they did the day I was banded.

I had some great joint pills, but now I can't swallow them. They just sit in my pouch!!!

Maybe yours will be different???

I have crunch knees too. I have never talked with a Dr. about them. I weigh about 183 right now - after losing about 40 pounds and they still seem about as crunchy. I keep waiting for them to lessen. I was always pretty active, and it isn't painful for me either. But I do really just notice it on stairs. I will have to ask a Dr. about it next time I see one. Sorry I don't have better info!

I have crunchy knees also and im only 27. my pcp said i have osteoarthritis, she said that the crunchy wont go away but that it will get better and keep from further damage once i lose weight.

Wow...I guess that goes to show everyone is so different. I hope everyone can get to a point where they feel better. I saw this drink that you take once a day that is supposed to help your joints. I can't remember the name but I'll try to find it then I'll post it back here.

EDIT: OK, found it. It's called Elations and I think you can get it at Walgreens, CVS, etc.. Here's a link...

http://www.elationshealth.com/categories/elations-and-you/faqs.php

Edited by Kimmie K

I don't hear any popping or cracking from my knees, but the pain is just so intense and in fact I use a cane if I am going to walk any distance. I have severe arthritis and total loss of cartilage in my knee. The orthopedic Dr told me that even if I lose weight I will probably have to have a knee replacement, he has really encouraged me to go for the banding.

I have been doing excercises in a therapy pool, which give me some temporary relief. In preparation for the banding I have been taken off Celebrex, arthritis medication. So I am very ready for my banding.

anne

I have crunchy knees AND ankles!

I'm also hoping that the noise goes away with surgery.

I'll have to check out that Elation stuff. I'm taking so many pills now that I hate to add glucosomine (sp?) but I may have to.

Crunchy knees and one hip!! 2 years ago I lost a good 5-60 lbs and the crunchy feeling subsided allot. Then my BF started bying me the Osteo Bi Flex suppliment and the crunchyness is gone in my knees. It takes months to do it though.

The hip still does it sometimes but not near as often and its not as painfull as it once was.

When I was at my last doctor appointment (new doc) he was telling me he was stopping my antiinflamitory(NASIDS) and muscle relaxers and to start taking Glucosamine instead!!(Main ingredient in osteo bi flex!) LOL. And was pleased that I was already on it. He said that it was the best thing to do to prevent knee replacements or to aid in the recovery from them.

Now If I can get my band and lose more I pray the crunchyness will leave my hip too!! But will have to see.

I have a crunchy elbow from an old injury/surgery. The ortho diagnosed me w/ arthritis and said to take glucomasine and chondrotin. I loved the osteo-biflex, it did wonders. Since getting banded I've been buying this horrific tasting syrupy concoction at Sam's Club instead of taking the horse pills. My elbow is once again crunchy, so I might crush the osteo pills since they seem to work so well.

Wow! I didn't expect such a turn out on this thread! This is great! It sucks that there are so many of us "crunchy" folks out there...LOL! This is seriously the first day I've started looking into supplements for my knees. I wanna save what I've got...however much that is.

Elations has 1,500mg of Glucosamine and 1,200mg of chondroitin. I can't find out how much is in Osteo Bi-flex. Anyone out there know? I found several more supplements that are rated really high as far as support for joint repair. They are Phosoplex, Flexcerin and Cosamin DS. I'll be checking into those as well. smilesatcomp.gif