Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandsters Rules

Ok, all you successful bandsters,Would you mind posting all the banding rules that you live by that has made you successful with your weight loss? I'm being banded July 11 and I would like to have a list of all the rules we must follow after being banded to be successful:smile2:. I know some of them but would like to be able to print a list of all the rules that you go by. I want to make sure that I know all the rules to abide by to be as successful as you have been.:thumbs_up:

Thank you very much!!

Waynette

I've been flamed many times in chat or with a post....some just feel that me saying I don't use Protein powders....or diet foods....or go to a gym....or count calories....or go on a diet....is so wrong.

Look, it's simple.

Get the band.

Get the adjustments.

Get restriction.

Get a reality check.

Get smaller clothes.

Get real.

Get the band. Won't work if you don't have it. Plus, the band makes the most common sense. Cut off the pipes and you'll lose the weight...not a maybe...but will.

Get the adjustments. Won't work if you don't get adjustments. Decide on a fill doc before surgery. Make sure you see 'em at 6 weeks and every 4 weeks after. Don't need a followup...cancel. But always make sure you have the appointment every 4 weeks til YOU decide you've got restriction.

Get restriction. Don't be a baby! You are going to have to cut down on the quantity of food - that's the point of the Lap Band system. Don't want to cut down on the amount of food - don't get the Lap Band. So what if you slime from time to time....it's all a learning process and you need to allow yourself time to re-learn how to eat. But this isn't saying that if you vomit that you shouldn't see your doc, quite the contrary. Vomiting isn't good. But sliming, as long as you are in the process of re-learning how to eat...it's a tool.

Get a reality check. This time to relearn how to eat is crucial. Eat a few bites and walk away from your food - it will always be there...you don't need it all now. Want something sweet- have it. But only a bite or two. If you can say..."nah, I'll skip that"...you are already on the right track. This is about choices. It's not easy during this time. I remember thinking I was going to DIE because I was so weak from not eating (massive amounts of food). Your body will go through withdrawal symptoms....you can bet on that. But you prevail! And remember, it's not forever. If you are hungry...eat!

Get smaller clothes when you reach goal....it's a motivator as well when you walk around in potatoe sacks...makes you want to go faster.

Get real. You know how you got fat, you now KNOW it doesn't take much food to fuel the human body. You now are amazed at the difference in the amount of foods you eat. You go to a buffet with your family, you get a teaspoon of everything...a sampling if you will. And you are so satisfied to finally 'taste' something...instead of inhailing. Keep your scales, pay attention to your new clothing. Weigh weekly, then every two weeks. But step on those scales at least 2x a month. And if you see weight gain, or your clothing getting tighter.... modify your diet. Maybe that soda pop put you over the edge...or you found you ate 2 pieces of your mom's sweetpotatoe pie. No worries, just modify things. Your new life is about nutrition, not dieting. Ensure you get the fuel to run your body like a well oiled machine.

The band was designed to eat a normal meal. A normal meal means you eat a smaller meal without side effects. If you are properly adjusted you can eat without experiencing Productive Burping or much sliming.

· Learn to chew your food to liquid form. Chewing your food to liquid form will reduce the amount of productive burps; this will also help reduce the sliming effect as well.

· Avoid Soft Food Syndrome. If you are eating softer foods because it is easier, you have no way of knowing if you are properly adjusted. Eating softer foods allows you eat more and can halt your weight loss altogether.

· Eat your Protein first. Eating protein first ensures you are getting enough protein to keep your energy levels up.

· Don’t be so dependent on the band. Some patients are expecting the band to be their “Food Police”. Taking responsibility for what you are eating and how you are eating will take away the disappointed feeling.

· The band is tighter in the morning. There is no scientific reason why the band is tighter in the morning. Just because the band is tight in the morning is no excuse to skip a meal. Mix up a Protein Shake to start your day.

· Being too tight serves no good purpose. If the band is too tight and you are experiencing PB after PB this will not aid in the weight loss efforts. Also having a band that is too tight could result in a slip; which could result in another surgery.

· The band is not properly adjusted. You are wide open and can eat anything you want, this is a sign you are not properly adjusted. Make an appointment with your surgeon to get another fill.

· Tweaking your band. It could be as simple as .01 CC to get you to your sweet spot. Don’t think you have to have a full 1.0 CC to be properly adjusted.

· Don’t compare yourself to others. Just because someone has reached their sweet spot with 2.50 CC’s doesn’t mean you are going to reach your sweet spot with the same amount of fill. There are too many different size bands on the market and the person you are comparing your fill to might not even have the same band as you do.

· Don’t deprive yourself. Eat what you like in moderation. The more processed the food the easier it is to eat with the band; it also means more calories. Read your labels if a serving size is 15 chips then only eat 15 chips not the whole bag.

Keep in touch with your surgeon so he/she knows what is going on. If you are not following up with your surgeon they can’t get you to your sweet spot. Don’t feel bad if you have not lost any weight since your last visit; your surgeon will not yell at you. Especially if you keep a food diary and exercise diary; this will aid your surgeon to help you stay on track.

If you are newly post-op take advantage of this time to really learn how to chew your food; trust me you will “Thank” yourself down the road. If you are properly adjusted; you will have to chew your food to liquid form; otherwise you will be experiencing productive burping and sliming. This leads to frustration and could possibly lead you to soft food syndrome which will halt your weight loss efforts.

You have worked so hard to have the surgery and expected to have amazing results. It is possible if you work with your band as opposed to working against it. Don’t think of this as being another diet; think of this as being a “Lifestyle”. If you watch skinny fit people eat you will see they still allow themselves treats; you should be no different.

Remember you had surgery on your stomach not your brain. It will be hard at times and you might make poor choices. Getting back on the band-wagon is easy to do. Go back to the band basics and you will see the results you want and deserve.

For everyone it's different. I have to exercise or the weight just doesn't come off. When I'm being a good bandster, I work out for about an hour a day a few days a week, doing mostly cardio (treadmill or eliptical)

Good restriction....really important. You need to get to a point of good restriction. Don't be stingy with fills. That's what makes the band work. (When I say "don't be stingy" that doesn't mean get filled to the point of being unable to eat. It means work toward good restriction.)

Stay away from empty calories. Milk shakes and ice cream go down easy but are REALLY BAD!!! fruit smoothies, fancy coffee drinks etc are all LOADED with empty calories and fat.

Eat real food. If you're living on mushies, you're not letting the band work. Mushies slide down too easily and you end up eating too much.

Concentrate on Proteins. Make sure you eat your proteins first, fruits and veggies next and carbs last.

Chew!!! Chew!!! Chew!!! When I first started band life, my surgeon said for me to count 30 chews before swallowing. It make me look a little OCD but it worked. I was a really fast eater before, now I'm usually the last one at the table. You want to make sure your food is chewed well so you don't get stuck as often.

BTW...PB's are NOT scary! Everyone thinks they're like some sort of near death experience. They're not. Food gets stuck and needs to come up. Sometimes it may take a little more work than others but it's not THAT horrible.

(To help avoid getting stuck...take small bites and chew well. Also once you first notice the "stuck" feeling, stop eating and take small sips of a warm liquid (hot tea, etc.) and sometimes it will work it's way down on it's own)

Those are the major ones for me. Like I said, all are different and everyone has a wealth of knowledge from personal experience.

Good Luck!

Vegas,

I LOVE YOUR POST! :thumbs_up:

Needed to read it because I had my first fill on Wednesday and the doctor said come back on Monday if you are still hungry. I knew on Wednesday the 3cc fill had done nothing :huh2: but since I'm new to this I was thinking I wouldn't go back on Monday because I'm scared of what the change will be when I do "feel it", I was gonna wait until my next 2 week appointment.

So you let me hear what I needed to hear :thumbs_up: - I have an appoinment Monday to get filled again!

Guess I should feel good that my Doctor doesn't mess around with giving you fills.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!! :w00t:

Edited by LundyLane

I'm by far not a successful bandster, seeing as I've only been banded for two weeks, but there is one thing that I noticed that no one above has covered, and my bariatric counselor is admant about....you must drink 80 oz. of Water per day, and do not drink any liquids with your meals. I am supposed to stop my drinks an hour before meals, and then not drink for at leat half and hour afterward.

I also try to remember that the purpose of the band is to help you stay satisfied longer between meals - not to be full. We still have to learn to stop eating and take control of what we eat and how much.

i really believe exercise is key...with good restriction it will reduce the amount food you can eat. i've learned if i don't eat the food that's good for me when i do it then i feel like crap...like i'm getting the flu...no energy, stiff all over and i just want to sleep.< /p>

there's alot of people on here that have been such an inspiration with the amount of physical activity they do...it makes me push myself a little hard because if they did, why can't i???

i don't think anyone really loves to exercise when they're 300 lbs but if you want it bad enough and you are willing to push yourself then your body will follow you....mind over matter =)

I am not one for following rules :) ..... but, here are couple that I do follow:

- Never drink w/ meals

- listen to your body. Eat slowly, chew well and when you think you are full - STOP (no, not just one more little bite).

- The key to success is planning. If you know you will have to eat out, try to plan what you will eat (if a restaurant, look up their menu online).

-Avoid snacking/grazing. Eat at your scheduled times for your 3 meals a day. Snacking adds the extra calories.

- Exercise has been key for me to losing weight. Not everyone has to...but I do!

Edited by TulipStar

I agree with drinking your Water quota. Also no drinking with your meals. So very important to keep that full feeling after you have eaten your meal.

Everyone is right on the nose. Most important, you get from your band what you put into it.

i was banded feb 28th

Thank you everyone for all your input. I want to be a successful bandster and a example for my Daughter. She was banded August 2007 and I can't tell she's lost anything. I know she's not following the rules and eating too much. Hopefully if I can be a good example and loose my weight it will inspire her to use her band to loose her weight.

Thank you again!!

Waynette

Being banded July 11 at Baylor Plano by Dr Nick Nicholson

Great posts everyone!!! In addition to all the others:

If you are struggling (even if you are not): Journal what you eat and how much. This will help you be accountable to yourself and more conscious of the choices you make. I know most of my eating issues are around my "unconscious" (or maybe just "oblivious") eating.

Plan to learn to eat the way you want to eat for the rest of your life as soon as you can after banding. Don't go on a diet - develop an eating plan that works for you and your lifestyle. Once you get to your goal, you can introduce higher quanitities of food, but if you haven't learned what to eat and how much, that is recipe for weight gain.

Know yourself and your challenges. Then make a plan to accomodate those challenges. I am an evening eater and experience lots of head hunger in the evenings. Refusing to snack is not realistic for me. Instead I plan Snacks that are low calorie and low fat, but that still satisfy my urges.

In a nutshell - gain consciousness and plan!!!! Don't expect the band to do the job for you.

Good Luck!!!