Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi everyone, i am new , wondering if anyone regrets

Guest denise l.

Guest denise l.

Hi my daughter and I are going to get the lap band on 05/30/05, and I am excited and nervous all at the same time... I was just wondering if anyone regret that they didn't get any of the other gastric bypass operation. I choose lap band for many reasons, however as I get closer to the date, my mind is all over the place. I love to read all the research, journals, and posting,........but it is taking me in different directions. just like to hear how others.

Thanks Denise L>:nervous

Denise, I have NO regrets at all about my Band!!!!!!! I love it! :) I did a lot of research before deciding on the band. I knew that the bypass was not for me. I was banded in Nov 04 and am down almost 50lbs. I have never felt better!

I am one of the lucky ones and have had NO complication at all. I have had 3 fills so far and am at a very good restriction now.

Welcome to LBT and good luck,

Guest denise l.

Thanks, I to feel that the lap band is for me, last year before I heard about the lap band I would not even consider getting the other operation. Keep up the good work

Hi Denise

I have ZERO REGRETS!!!

I have my life back

The band has changed my life. I would die obese if I had to have the gastric bypass, too risky for me, too much involved, too many risks of major complications, too high of a percentage of regaining the weight once your pouch is stretched, with my band I can forever get my fills to tighten things up.

Best of luck to you and your daughter :)

Hi Denise

I have ZERO REGRETS!!!

I have my life back

The band has changed my life. I would die obese if I had to have the gastric bypass, too risky for me, too much involved, too many risks of major complications, too high of a percentage of regaining the weight once your pouch is stretched, with my band I can forever get my fills to tighten things up.

Best of luck to you and your daughter :)

Michelle said exactly what I would have said. Absolutely no regrets at all, except that I didn't do it sooner.

One of the reasons that people get the bypass over the band is the rapid weight loss. There were a few times in the beginning when I struggled and wondered if I did the right thing. But as the weight has slowly come off, I have found that I have had time to adjust to my new body, new attitude, and new confidence. I feel healthier than I ever remember, and the only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.

I know now that if I had gotten the bypass, I'd always feel like a ticking time bomb waiting to either have complications or gain the weight back. Now I feel like I can get on with life- that if I start gaining, I get a little fill. If I have complications, they can take the band out and sew me up and I'll heal up just fine and be next in line for a new band.

Megan

Denise, I wish you and your daughter the best of luck. My mom and I are also looking into getting the band. We have our Dr.s appt 5/18/05 and are very excited about beginning this process. Are you and your daughter going to do it together? We have thought about having it done like a week apart so we could help each other out. Stay in touch and let us know how it goes.

I'm so excited that I'm not the only one just about to get the ban...I don't feel so alone :) We can do this together!

Aileena

surgery date 05/26/05

My mother in law and I got banded on the same day. (possible regret) It was good and bad. We have someone to ask questions of (ok- she has someone to ask questions of) We went back for one fill together and she has had one fill here in STL.

My only regret is really not being able to do it sooner. I got pregnant (after 13 years of trying) while saving the $$$ UP THE FIRST TIME. wAITED ALMOST 2 YEARS then was able to do it.

My small little problem is I am a great looser (if all goes well I will be well over 100 lbs lost before my 1 year anniversary- same as expected on bypass) Mom is not doing as well she is a very slow looser ( but if she followed any rules she might do better- her worst is the alcohol/wine every night & she refuse to do an exercise. She is closer to 45 lbs loss now. But it is still a loss.

She is mad at me because I am in size L or 12/14 and she is still in 18's (I was 3x before). She also started out with miuch quicker losses before our first fill and I felt like a failure then. So I guess it evens out!

But if they take my band- I would just cry and cry!!!! and probably make them wire my mouth shut.

My only other regret is I can't enjoy a salad yet. It just sucks and tastes crappy after all that chewing. But when I get closer to goal- if I can't eat it then I will have some taken out!

Welcome Denise! I have had no regrets about the band. As a nurse, I know of too many horror stories about gastric bypass...not only immediately post-op but later down the line. I worked in a GI clinic last year and we saw many people with unexplained stomach pain, Vitamin deficiencies, and a host of other problems after bypass. Bypass by its' very nature causes malabsorption...that's not normal. While the weight loss with banding might be a little slower than we would wish for, it seems to be a healthier rate of loss in the long run. That's just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to you and your daughter.

I know now that if I had gotten the bypass, I'd always feel like a ticking time bomb waiting to either have complications or gain the weight back. Now I feel like I can get on with life- that if I start gaining, I get a little fill. If I have complications, they can take the band out and sew me up and I'll heal up just fine and be next in line for a new band.

Megan, this totally rocks. That's exactly the way I felt about bypass when I thought about it. It just seemed like everyone goes from complication to hurdle to scary next out-of-control thing, whereas with banding it's slower and saner.

I have absolutely NO regrets. I'm not even sorry I couldn't do it sooner, because I believe there are no accidents and things unfold the way they're meant to. The band came into my life at exactly the right time and it's been an absolute godsend all the way.

Denise L,

I have no regrets even tho I am not having much success at the moment (my own fault). I initially lost 50# during the week prior to surgery and the 2-3 weeks following. My weight loss slowed then but I was having other problems not related to the band and I was putting on Water weight. Then for some reason (family crisis at home) I started eating like I use to (too much and too often, hungry or not) and that just can't be a good thing. I have gained back most of what I lost but as of last Friday (my 3rd fill) I am back on track, I eat when I'm hungry and I stop when I feel full (no snacking!!!!!!!!!!) and I walk during my breaks and part of my lunch break. Please God, help me be strong! The nice thing is that with the band I don't have do be strong without help, if I eat too much or too fast I vomit. Plain and simple. Since I don't like doing that I have to follow at least part of the rules. I keep thinking about how good I felt just losing the 50# (on me that is a drop in the bucket). Besides, I told everybody I know that I had the surgery and they keep asking me how the weight loss is going, or, how much have you lost so far? Too embarassing to say that even surgery won't help me, if you know what I mean. I think I am the worst case senario tho, listen to all these other people who have done so well, I am definitely the minority. And yet, when it is all said and done, I would still do it all over again! This has been the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. It has given me hope again. I will lose this weight no matter how long it takes me! Good luck to both you and your daughter. I don't think you will regret it. The surgery itself was a piece of cake (no pun intended) and recovery was quick. Cathy

Denise, I have no regrets at all. It's truly the best gift I ever could have given myself. In fact, I'm so happy with my band, I'm taking my daughter (age 17.5) to Dr. Ortiz so he can band her too!

Guest pugswife35

hi Denise i was wondering what doctor is best? I'm from California and i wanted to know what doctor in california would you recommend?