Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about saying the wrong thing to the doctor

:sad_smile:

My concern is that the doctor will look at my age (21) and the fact that I don't have documented proof of trying to lose weight and deny me even though my BMI is 53.3.

Although I am clearly unhealthy, I don't have many specific problems other than joint pain, high BP and pulse, and shortness of breath. Also, aside from Atkins, I have never tried a 'fad' diet because I know it takes a lifestyle change and not a trendy diet to fix things. I have tried eating healthy and exercising numerous times, but they are not documented.

I also worry that since I'm so terrible in interview-like settings that I might say the wrong things about why I need the surgery and what I've tried so far that will make the doctor think I'm not a candidate. I know I need this and I fear that I will have to spend a few more years being overweight and struggling just to prove to a doctor that I can't do it without help.

Am I just paranoid or do I need to watch what I say?

The doctor is not really the one that you should worry about. They are pretty willing to do the surgery most of the time, from what I am seeing on here.

You should find out what your insurance company will require though. They may be the tricky ones.

I agree with benhamgal that it the first step to worry about is the insurance company. I know that I don't qualify for the insurance to cover me so I will be a self pay. Which is an opption as well. From what I understand(and I may be wrong) is that if you have a BMI of over 40 you need not have any other Co-morbidities (sp).

As far as talking to your doctor I get that to. I would work myself up to saying all the right things about being miserable and then when I got in there I would do 360 and start giving reasons for the way I am and how I know I need to change. Denial I guess lol. But again it is different because I am paying.

Good luck on your path and read into all of your options. I know that the posts here helped me a lot.

Cheers, Jill

I am no expert but I think you don't need to worry too much about what you're going to say to the doctor. His job is to help you, and it's going to be obvious that you need help. I think I'd focus on just expressing to him your repeated failure at losing the weight on your own, your concern for your health and quality of life, and especially, your understanding that the band isn't a magic wand, it's a tool that will help you do this, and that you're ready and willing to do your part. I think it's true that you only have to have the co-morbidities if your BMI is under 40.

I wish you all the best!

Not to be rude but you are being paraniod. Just tellhim how you feel. You say you don't have any major problems but high blood pressure and shortnes of breathe at 21 are very significant problems. I agree with the others that your ins is the biggest problem unless you are private pay. I would really encourage you to get involved with some groups right now and if posible some theray. I trully believe that our love affair with food has roots that have absolutely nothing to do with food. Mine did and it has taken me many years to figure out why I ate like I did.. I'm 54 and have been banded for 2 months. luckily my insurance paid for the procedure. It is just a last step in my journey to actually lose the weight. I have conquered the emotional eating and the head hunger several years ago therefore this has been easy to date inspite of some infection issues. I have currently had my port removed so no fills for me for a while but I am still happy with my choice and have lost 38#'s in 2 months. Please help yourself by getting the support you need to figure out the why otherwise I trully believe it is a very long hard journey. The band is only a tool and it will not control when, why or what you put in your mouth. Do everything you can to understand that and help yourself in your journey. Unfortunately there are no quick fixes.

Relax, be yourself, be honest & good luck. Keep us posted on your visit and decision.

here is my opinion... the doctor is not going to judge you or anything you say. he knows why you're there... why we all went.

it doesn't really matter to him what you've done to try to lose weight... whatever ways you chose it hasn't worked... it didn't for any of us.

it doesn't matter how old you are... if you're 21 you're a consenting adult.

my consultation wasn't an interview process... it was an extended and more intensive doctor appointment.

i was more nervous about my psychological appointment than the surgeon appointment. and with that i suggest you answer the questions short and sweet and to the point.

good luck!

Hi Bananalee. I don't think that you can screw up your consultation. Give them the facts For most insurance companies, if your BMI is over 40, you don't even need co-morbidities. You're over 18 so in the eyes of the insurance companies, you are done growing so your age is good as well. Many insurance companies require a minimum of 3 months of nutritional counseling (AKA weight monitoring) before they will approve your surgery. I think you are experiencing normal anxiety. Just try to relax. Take Care.