Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port site more painful everyday!

I am quite worried. I had my surgery last Wednesday (18th) and my port site seems to be hurting more and more each day!??.. I have to hold the area all the time when I am not lying down. I can feel it pulling and it feels like a burning sharp pain.

Anyone else feeling the same way?

I had pain for a week. My doctor told me sometimes the band needs time to adjust itself within your body and also I need to stop excercising for a while.

But I think you should call your doctor ASAP.

Thanks Lisa.. I am quite concerned now.. as tomorrow will be a week after surgery. The other sites are just a little itchy but this one is really quite sore.. I can almost relate it to having an ulcer or something.. just OUCH.. very tender.. I am going to change the dressing again and have a look at it. Check for any swelling or discoloration.. and heat... I have had my hand there since the surgery so it is warmer than the others anyway.

I have been so good with it.. I have changed my dressings regularly and cleaned them with betadine.. so I am hoping it is just something superficial.. and not that the bloody thing has moved or come unstitched!!

I was banded June 3rd. I had l alot of ichy I was told it is the healing process. I do have a question for you. Can you feel a large bump on your left side by your ribs. I think it is part of the band the upper part. Do you have this golf ball lump? I am chicken to call the doc!

that lump is more than likely the port/reservoir..where the doctor puts the 'fill'... that is where I am having the most pain.. it really hasn't let up since surgery... I have just checked it and there is no real swelling or any signs of infection.. will still call the doc tomorrow. I have another week before they take out my stitches...

Hi again Billie!

well after re-reading your post, I went to check out EXACTLY where my pain was.. I was presuming it was my port site. I felt all over the port region.. and couldn't feel pain.. until I went up.. OUCH.. IT ISN'T MY PORT.. it is about an inch above my port site.. just below my ribs.. I can feel a lump and it is SOOO sore!!.. really tender.. and I have NO idea what it is!???.. am going to the hospital tomorrow and have them check me out.. am in bed now with a small soft cushion under my boob lifting it off the site.. there shouldn't be this much pain after a week should there really??? it feels like it did on DAY ONE!.. if not WORSE!!...

so if your 'golf ball' is the same as my 'lump' I will let you know what they say tomorrow.. you should get yours checked out aswell... I know now that mine isn't the port!. I have a feeling it COULD be part of the tubing???... soon find out!

IT IS MY PORT AFTER ALL!.... I saw another surgeon today (mine is on vacation for a week).. and he checked the site and said it was the port.. Now, what I want to know is ' WHY THE BLOODY HELL DID THEY PUT IT RIGHT UNDER MY BOOB.. WHERE MY BRA WIRE SITS???".. I have HUGE boobs -38H- and my wire has been irritating it apparently... the surgeon today said "can you go without a bra for a few weeks?".. TYPICAL MAN!!!.. NO I CANNOT.. ' Can you get a sports bra?".. well... I was just hopping mad...

I will be seeing MY surgeon next week for a few words about the placement of my port.. I am so not happy with it being there.. an inch further south would have been fine.. but literally, about 1/2 inch from my wire.. darn...

I need to ask them if this pain will go away and if I will be able to wear a wired bra in the future.. if NOT>. they better make plans to move the bloody thing!!!... no discussion about the situation of the port at my pre-ops!!..

ANY ONE ELSE HAVE THEIR PORT IN THE SAME PLACE??

OUCH!! I bet that is painful, one of my incisions, the smallest one, is right by my underwire line and it was painful for a few days I can't imagine my port being there. My surgeon actually drew a circle with an x in it to show me where the port would be at my pre op. It is actually below my rib cage and a little to the side. It's to the left of my largest incision. Hope it gets resolved.

I was so relieved to know that there wasn't anything wrong today that I didn't even think about the positioning until I got home. I am SOOO angry right now.. to be told.. 'don't wear a bra for a few weeks'..and 'get a sports bra'.. (aside from the fact that sports bras have that thick band of elastic which would COVER the port)... I am furious!.. My surgeon is back next Wednesday. My stitches are due out the same day.. so I will be asking or a jolly good explanation as to why the damn thing is so high up!.. OR to move it!..

I have been on such a high all week.. I have lost almost 11 pounds this week..and was even handling the liquids (clear for TWO WEEKS!).. until NOW!.. I am soo frustrated and have been in tears for the last few hours!!!. and going through the "why me' bit!!.

This has to be resolved. I am not going to miss out on pretty underwire underwear because he put this in the wrong place.. it is supposed to make me feel better!!Now I will have a fight on my hands about paying for it to be moved!!!..