Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't fathom exercising

The absolute key is to find something you love. I bought a bike one week after my surgery. I was apprehensive about biking because I felt I was too big and would stand out. But I put my headphones on and once I got use to it, I can't stop. So many nights I think to myself, I should just give it a rest for one night. But I can't. I love it. I ride for an hour 7 days a week, even when it hurts. You just have to find something you love, combine it with music and start slowly and work your way up.

There are some great ideas on this thread.

At a group meeting, my doctor recommended that if we felt too heavy to exercise, we should wait until some weight dropped off and exercise became easier. He said the last thing you want is an injury right after surgery. :lol:

I used to love to work out but now will wait until I have less foot pain (plantar fasciitis). I think that is best for me.

You have to do what seems best for you. :blink: The weight loss will be slower but I have seen people post on here that they do not exercise and have slowly lost most of the weight they wanted to. :crying: Again, do what is right for you. Good luck!

Since you have a toddler, try pushing the stroller a little. Increase the distance a tiny bit each day. This way your child can enjoy the exercises also. I have a walking erobics tape. You might try some tapes for seniors. Good luck.

noahsmomm--

I have never liked exercise and I have a long history of not sticking to it but I'm hopeful that now things will be different. I'm walking pretty consistently and that is a minor miracle. First -- I just focused on losing some of the weight because every inch of my body hurt me. I couldn't walk a block without feeling really awful. After I lost 18 lbs I got an exercise cycle and put it in front of the TV. I managed to do about 5 mins for the first several times and then I worked up to 40 mins. It was boring. Then I got banded and lost another 20lb. I really felt a lot better (more energy ---more focus) just from losing the first 40lbs. I actually felt like moving more. I can walk 4 or 5 miles now and I didn't even have to work up to it. It just became easier because I was lighter. Heavy people have pretty good core muscles from hauling around so much weight and that strength comes in handy as you lose weight.

I know a woman who lost a lot a weight 5 years ago on bypass and still at goal weight. She says that she hated exercise before and hates it now but she still consistently exercises because she loves the way she feels and looks.

It can be difficult for people to decide between the band and bypass. My MD and nutritionist said that I would some weight but not a lot on the band if I didn't exercise. They said that if I didn't think I was going to exercise or watch my diet -- then I would be better off with bypass. I thought about it long and hard and decided that I would make the committment rather than do bypass. I don't think the band is for everyone.

Well, I can't say I hated exercise but I didn't love it. I started to go to Curves last year. Today was my 98th time I went and I guess you could say that I am used to going. I just made it part of my weekly regimen and I don't mind it because it's only 1/2 hour. Some people don't find it challenging enough but I am doing the "Smart" Curves which pushes me to do better (it's computerized and tracks how well I am doing). I sweat up a storm so for me it's good plus it's very close to my home.

Edited by Alfie

I felt the same way at 251. Even with dogs at home that I could walk, I just couldn't do it! My family joined the local Y & I felt uncomoftable just walking through the tour. I did put on a brave face & started going to Water aerobics classes. I found, most of the woman were built like me, evn bigger, most were what I loving refer to as Grandmas & WOW, they are all so FRIENDLY! I started with 1 afternoon class Monday & Wednesday after work. Now that I am off in the summer, I have been really BRAVE & have been trying ALL the classes: BodyPump (which is weight lifting to music in a group class, a cycling class, also done in group deep water aerobics, Yoga, Circut training & even regular aerobics classes! I am going to at least 2 one hour classes during the week & 1 on Saturday & I have even found the energy to walk the dogs every night too! I do have to say, I have not yet ventured into the weight room as of yet, but I am sure I will by summer's end!

I also saw something on tv about going to gyms for the first time that seems to hold true...most people are VERY focused on what they are doing & don't pay any attention to others & also, LOTS of people tend to join gyms regularly, so soon enogh, there will be a newer person in the class besides you!

I really enjoy it now & feel like I have missed something if I skip!

Good Luck on your journey!

mnilene

weight.png