Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have made an appt. for initial consultation in Alexandria, Va. I am 5'2 and weigh 200. My BMI is 36.5. I am not sure if they will allow the surgery since I am not 100 lbs overweight. I don't have any real weight related health issues. I would be self pay because my insurance will not cover. I have read here that some have gone to Mexico for surgery. How much cheaper is it there? I think but correct me if I am wrong that my surgery would cost between 11 and 15k?

Just wondering if I am wasting my time with the consult if it isn't allowed. Any info. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The cost depends on the doctor. The cheapest I found for the states is Dr.Kirshenbaum in Colorado. The surgery, pre op consultations, post op care and 3 months of fills all come in for $9950. I have heard that in Mexico you can get it as low as $8000 or so. But I figured the difference with plane tickets and hotels would bump me up anyway,

When you are self pay Doctors are more likely to let you have the surgery you want. Because they aren't accountable to insurance companies. I have seen people on the forum who weighed less than you and had the surgery.

Good luck with your decisions!!!:grouphug:

Hi Peggy D.,

I am 5'2" and weigh 206. If you are self-pay, you should be able to get it done with a lower BMI. Most of the strict requirements to have surgery are with those relying on insurance.

I am also self-pay bc my insurance won't cover surgery for out of network physicians with this type of surgery. The surgeons here aren't as experienced with wls. BTW I live in Waco, Tx. I am having my surgery in Plano, which is in the DFW area. The cost is around $12,000.

Good luck with your weight loss journey. My surgery is June 30th.

I needed to lose 50 pounds and had a not too terrible BMI. Since I was self pay, I chose to go to Mexico where I had the surgery done for $7,000 (which included 2 night in a very nice hotel, one night at the hospital in a private room, all the tests, doctor's charges, etc AND transportation to and from the airport. I was able to get a round trip airline ticket from Jacksonville, FL for $500. The only recommendation I would make is for you to set up your aftercare before you go. Most US doctors will not take you on if you had your surgery in Mexico - there are fill centers around the US that you can find for your fills. I found a doctor in Orlando who took me on as a patient. In Mexico, I went to Monterrey and had the surgery done by Dr. Zapata. It was a fabulous experience all the way around - except for the fact that it was surgery.

Hi Peggy D, when I first started researching doctors I had the luck to run into wasabubblebutt's guide on how to find a Dr., it is really really good. As a result I am scheduled for surgery from the same Doc in Mexicali right out of San Deigo with all the tests and such for $6500. I have to pay my own airfare, but thats ok. I've spend way more than that on diets, pills and exercise videos. I'm so excited/nervous!!! Good luck on your journey :))

I'm going to Mexico July 15th because my insurance excludes all bariatric surgery. My BMI is 37. Out-of-pocket here would be almost $20,000 after all hidden charges. In Mexico, it is $7,000 and that includes EVERYTHING except airfare to San Diego. I am going to Dr. Aceves and believe me I did a LOT of research before deciding on him. Maybe you should check it out. Lots of info online about Mexico. Christine