Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2.2 weeks after surgery and I have some questions

Ok, my first week was hard, painful and itchy but I made it through. I have lost about 13 pounds already to date. I am not sure what to do now though, my plan book says that I should be on full liquid for one week, puree for 1 week and should be starting soft foods this week but most of the web-sites I have been to say either soft on week 4 or 5? Am I ahead of myself? I had some tofu about 4oz tonight and feel fine. Nothing stuck and I am not nauseous. What are some suggestions? Should I still stay on puree or is it ok to switch to soft? I am also getting the munchies since it is that time of the month. Driving me nuts. Been really good but any suggestions.

i was banded on 6/12 and am able to eat whatever i want as long as it is soft when it goes down. i ate chicken and dumplings, pizza (chewed and chewed it but did not eat the crust). Everything has gone down okay but I at chips and salsa and tried to eat a fajita yesterday. The fajita did not go so well, wont try that again. I think as long as you make sure what goes down has been chewed really well or you stick to soft things any food is okay.

Suetigg2,

I have found there is no standard diet. Every doctor is telling us something different. Follow what your doc said to do and you will be fine. I had my surgery on June 18th so I'm 4 days out. My doc started me on liquids that included pureed food so I never did Clear Liquids at all. I'm only to be on liquids and pureed food for 1 week, then it's soft solids for me for 1 more week, then normal food. So don't worry that everyone is doing something different. Stick to what your doc said he wants you to do. Good luck, and congrats on the 13 lbs. I'm down 8 in 4 days!

Hello, I just read your post and I had my surgery 2 days before you! So you are eating regular foods??? Does your stomach make a lot of wierd noises...growling! Also my port feels like its a part of my ribcage at times, is that normal?

Wow I cant believe you are able to eat whatever!!! So many people say you cant consume regular food for weeks. Great...so were you forced to go to a nutritionist? I have to go to a nutritionist once a week.

My stomach growles constantly!!! The only thing I can think of, is it's the thin muchies, creamy liquids, that I am on are making thier way into my real stomach, and it's saying " uh, hello! Where have you been??":eek: I was to be on liquids from surgery day until day 7, day 8-14 on mushies, and so on and so fourth. I am 12 days post op, and my surgeon put me back on liquids from 3 days on mushies, because I was stupid and told him I woke up that morning very nauseated, and felt like I was going to vomit for about 1 hr. I didn't, but I was swallowing some serious siliva for that hour-:ohmy:(yeh, just like that guy!) I can only describe it like sliming, but This was as I was waking up in the morning! How can you slime with nothing down there!!??:confused2: I would love to have some insight on that if anyone would like to put their opinion out there!

wow....i guess each doctor is different. my doctor said liquids for three weeks :crying:...and then one week of mushy foods and then the next week of regular foods. i was banded june 11 and am still on the liquid diet... blah. :ohmy: im super hungry but after weighing myself on the scale and seeing a whoppin 20 pounds in a week and a half makes me feel all the better! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE AND GOD BLESS!

not sure if it is weird? I have been having a painful and sensitive sensation in that area, not sure what it is but seeing the dr tomorrow anyway.

My original plan called for 2 weeks clear liquids, 2 weeks full liquids, 2-4 weeks of mushies, and then 2-4 weeks of soft foods.

However, I had my 2-week check up at 16 days post-op and my doc said I was recovering very well and that I could advance to soft foods, which he described as "anything I could mash with the back of my fork." Little does he know how strong I am and how much damage I can do with the back of a fork! hahaha!

But in all seriousness, I was excited to be off of liquids so I had a teeny tiny bit of mashed potatoes and I was totally nauseated.

So, I'm on a self-induced super mushie stage. I took 2 days off of mashed potatoes and tried them again today. They seemed to be just fine -- no nausea or anything.

I would say: a. follow your doctor's orders and then b. even if your doctor's orders permit you to advance to the next stage, proceed with caution. I've read elsewhere on this board to add one new thing a day . . . so that way, if you do get sick, you know precisely which food was the culprit. I am assuming tolerable foods are also going to change with each fill . . . so I don't think we can ever *really* know for sure!

Good luck!