Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Member - Getting banded August 5th

Hello - I'm getting banded on August 5th in Jeffersonville, Indiana. My surgeon is Dr. Daniel MacMillan. I'm really nervous about this - I have been thinking about weight loss surgery for the last couple of years - I'm a real procrastinator. I am super obese at 430 lbs., and 5'8" tall. I have been second guessing my decision to get lap-band and wondering if GB would be better for me since I am so big and have so much to lose. I asked my surgeon which surgery he thought would be better, and he said lap-band (of course, he strictly does lap-band procedures). I am 45 (46 on August 1st), female, and my knees are just shot. I literally cannot stand for more than 10 minutes without being in extreme pain, and I can't walk far. I'm tired all the time, even though I don't do anything, other than go to work every day, and it takes everything in me to get moving in the morning and get to work. My only child is heading to college in late August, and I depend on him alot I see this surgery as my last chance to get my life back and become independent once again! I appreciate any advice from all you members out there!

welcome to the Lapband site. My name is Traci and I live near French Lick. I had my surgery in 2007 (May) and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

I had researched both procedures and with a sister having the other, I knew it was not for me.

You may not loose your weight as fast, but you will be doing it a healthy rate, which will allow your body to get use to the change and hopefully will not make allot of "baggage" hanging....I would love to say that that isnt a problem, but I started at 335, and my stomach is still a huge issue for me as far as hanging. Allot of people end up having plastic surgery after they are done loosing there weight, and it is a personal choice if you do or dont.

Please feel free to email me anytime you would like to talk.

Traci

How are you feeling? I was banded on the 5th too. I am a little bored and tired of eating Jello, Water, crystal light, watered down cranberry juice and thats it. I go to the docotrs on Wed then I guess I start my next food adventure. I hope you are feeling good...in the long run you are going to feel so much better.

Sorry my name is Lisa I live in Runnemede New Jersey

Dr Balsama was my surgeon...I was 224 lbs with health issues and lost at time of surgery like ten lbs. Nurse came out to my house today and for the first time in years my blood pressure was 112/62 which is so great. It's always like 175/85 or more much more like sometimes over 99 on the bottom. Please let me know how you feel

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Lisa -

I am feeling okay - still sore, but it gets a little better each day. I'm afraid I'm doing too much bending over. I did some laundry today and after getting things out of the dryer I just felt really weak and my abdomen was sore. I am also bored with the liquids. I am not even hungry, but I am trying to get in at least 2 Protein drinks per day. My doctor wants me to get at least 60 grams per day, and the two drinks almost covers that. Other items I've eaten are chicken broth, V-8 juice, tea and sugar-free Jello, popsicles, and fudgesicles. I go to the doctor on Wednesday also! It is strange - I am not hungry, but when I see commercials for Burger King, and other food items, I think wow that sounds so good. It's not that I want to eat it it just sounds good. That's the psychological aspect coming into play, I suppose.

I don't know how my blood pressure has been affected yet, because I have been told to continue my daily medicine for that.

Do you work and if so do you plan to go back the day after you see your doctor next week?

-Rose Ann

Yeah I do the samething I see something on tv and I think wow that would taste good and the best part is I gave up on fast food years ago lol

My daughters were getting ready to make sandwiches and I was like "oh please let me make them" they were like are you sure, we don't want you to feel like we are pushing food on you, they said they felt bad lol I needed to it made me feel better being around food lol I'm not hungry at all it just feels good . Weird. Glad I am not alone. I tried to tell everyone that it's like I am suppose to eat Breakfast lunch and dinner and I am just having liquids it is weird.

O so you can have Protein drinks already? and V-8 I didn't know I am only having watered down cranberry juice and Jello, Water and crsytal light hmmm I wonder if I can have something else. I do work I am a secretary for Fedex Ground I am suppose to go back to work Thursday the 14th. I go to the doc Wed so I might just take off that Thursday and Friday and go back on Monday. How about you do you work?

Hi Lisa-

I do work in Human Resources for the Census Bureau. I had scheduled my leave through Monday, 8/11/08, but since my surgeon did not schedule my follow-up appt. until Wednesday, 8/13/08, I do not plan to return until at least the 14th. I work an "Alternative Work Schedule" which is like 8 - 9 hr days, 1 8 hr. day and one day off every 2 weeks. It so happens that Friday, the 15th is my day off, so I would actually like to take off on Thursday, as well. I think my supervisor will be okay with this, but I'm going to talk to her Monday to make sure. Good luck to you!

-Rose Ann:thumbup:

I am not sure if I am going to go back to work until the next Monday.

I told work I would be back on the 14th.....everone is telling me "what's two days" they think I should just give myself the extra two with the weekend then go back. I also go to the doctors on the 13th at 2 pm and I'll see what he says. He wanted me out of work for two weeks. So we will see.

Not sure if I asked this or not what did you eat the first week?

All I am aloud to have is Jello, crstal light, watered down cranberry juice, broth (which I hate) . Next week I can have more, well by Wed.

I am bored...I have a dull stabbing pain on my left side I guess where the port is, I use ice on it. I can't wait for that to go away. Getting better everday it's just that pain on my side that bugs me, I hope it's normal.

Lisa

Hi Lisa -

I have that same pain on my left side from the port! I've been worried that I've pulled something loose, but apparently that's how it's supposed to feel. The pain gets really sharp if I twist to my left or bend downward toward the left. I'll be glad when this goes away.

As far as my diet - for two weeks I am allowed the following: juice, Jello, popsicles, broth, bouillon, fruit ices, coffee, tea (these were recommended for the first 2-3 days, then I could add "full" liquids like milk (skin or 1% - I drink 1%), vegetable juice, strained cream Soups, pudding (fat-free and sugar-free), diet ice cream and light yogurt. I am to continue with my Protein drinks twice per day until I'm on solid foods. I use the unjury Protein Drinks (not too bad - I can tolerate it). The only things I have actually eaten are Jello, chicken broth, popsicles, sugar-free fudgesicles, vegetable juice and the Protein Drinks. I keep sipping on Water all day too. Yesterday was the first day that I actually felt hungry - my stomache actually growled. I'll be glad to get to the next stage which for me is mushy food, but at least I can have oatmeal, mashed potatoes (thin), and eggs.

I called my boss this morning and I told her I go to the doc on the 13th, so I won't be back until at least the 14th. She was fine with that. I am off on the 15th, so if the doc gives me the okay, I may go ahead back on the 14th, and if I get weak, I'll just go home early. I truly am feeling weak - when I shower, by the time I finish I'm almost light=headed and have to hurry to my bed to lay down! I hope I can build my strength back up this week.

-Rose Ann