Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight but losing sizes.....confused

Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well, as for me I had my surgery on 4/14/08 and am extremely grateful. Before and right after my surgery I lost 12 pounds, to date I have lost 22 pounds. I was told that I should be losing 2 pounds a week. I am exercising, eating right and still not losing pounds, but here is the confusing part, I am losing sizes. I went from a size 18 to a size 14 pants and size 3x to a x-large shirts. Why am I losing sizes and not weight. Don't get me wrong Iam grateful that I'm losing anything but just a little confused. I have a doctor's appointment today to get a fill.

Extremly grateful for my new way of life.......

Debbie

Weight Loss Tickers

weight.png

it seems as though that you are losing inches and that is always a good thing! are you exercising, cause that is always a way to shed extra pounds! it you are built with lots of muscle, that usually happens. keep it up you will make it!

If your body is converting fat to muscle, then you are not going to see change on the scale... or not as much.

You have to remember that Muscle weighs I think - 3 times more than fat.

And... all the muscle mass will burn more fat and for a longer amount of time.

Hope that helps.

~Folk

I am working out what I consider to be quite a bit and my scale stopped moving about a month ago. Since the scale stopped I have dropped 2 pant sizes. I am not totally sure what all is going on either. I just know that a scale is not the only measure of fitness and health. Your body is shrinking and you are creating lean muscle. Once the scale does move it will probably drop fairly quickly as long as you have kept up a good routine of exercise.

I can relate to this. I, too, was banded on 4/14 and lost 35 lbs (pre and post op). However, for the last 2 weeks - nothing. I am older than you and have joined an seniors aerobics class that meets 3x weekly. I walk 3 miles daily. I have dropped inches and not lbs but it will show up on the scales. Keep up the good work.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Diddo to everything everyone else said. I hope that statement made sense. I've lost from a 22/24 to a 14/16. I love those NSVs! I think we fixate too much on what we weigh...I'd bet you if you looked at your fat %, it has dropped a lot!

I ordered a "fancy" scale from QVC before I was banded. It keeps up with weight, fat %, what is Water weight and all of that for my height and gender...When I see the scale isn't going down - I'll hop on to the "special" section and check out the other. Almost always when I'm up - my Water weight is up. The fat % is going steadily down - I've had no gains there., which confirms to me I'm doing everything right.

Also, my doctor's office lets us weigh weekly - I go on Thursdays (day of my surgery). They have a print out that shows the same thing. I haven't lost any weight in 3 weeks, but my body mass has gone down and my fat% has gone down 2%...

Please don't focus just on pounds...that's not the only area we need to be losing. Inches really matter too!

Edited by Leslie2Lose

I have done this before with weight loss. You will wake up one morning and have a "whoosh" on the scale. You're obvisouly doing something right, to have dropped so many sizes! Good job! KUTGW:thumbup:

If you are loosing size then you are still doing good. I personally don't have a set of scles in my house because I would be so fixated on the number that it would run my life. I usually weigh myself when I go to the gym, and only about once a week. I have not been banded yet and will not get a scale unless the doc recommends one. Your clothes and reflection will be your true answer. Good luck SC

Guest Leslie2Lose

If you are loosing size then you are still doing good. I personally don't have a set of scles in my house because I would be so fixated on the number that it would run my life. I usually weigh myself when I go to the gym, and only about once a week. I have not been banded yet and will not get a scale unless the doc recommends one. Your clothes and reflection will be your true answer. Good luck SC

Girl - I wish I could be like you. My scale is a fixation - although I've gotten a lot better since I was first banded. I don't weigh every day now, only a couple times a week. I weighted 3x a day after surgery - it was an addiction.

I'm one of those people that has to know how/why things work. I'm a little high strung and over analyze everything! My doc didn't recommend one, but it helps keep me focused and on track. It is my accountability. I stopped weighing after I went over 250 pounds...I didn't want to know the answer - every time I would get on the scale, it would go up. I honestly don't know what I weighed at my heaviest (guessing 275+) because I stopped be accountable for my actions.

I do wish I were more laid back like you. :smile:

Debbie--

So many of us can relate to this...how can I NOT be losing when I am doing all the right things!!!!

By trying a different type of exercise, I got it to move again. Your body gets used to the same--you gotta shake it up! I did treadmill, weights and Water aerobics. I just added a Zumba class--cardio dancing to Latin music--it's hot!

And so are WE!!!

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have was watching my scale move, move, move and then Bam nothing! I work out 4 times a week at the gym and was getting really discouraged, but I was dropping pant, top and bra sizes so I was confused too. My trainer told me I was building up muscle and thats why I was losing the inches. I also was eating alot of soft foods (because they were safe) during that time. I started eating more Protein based foods and boy did the scale start dropping. Keep up the good work!

Classes/Pre-Surg/Current/Goal

316lbs/292lbs./247lbs./180ish

This topic was a God sent for me today ! Thank all of you. I am pre surgery. I have been faithfully working out 14 hours a week, swimming aerobics. The last 2 month weigh in, I gained 3 pounds. I am averaging about 150 calories a day. So I was told by the dietician if I didn't lose the 3 pounds by the end of this month, I wouldn't be presented to the surgeon. So I added in a mile walk every morning before I swim. Like many of you said, cross training is important for some of us. But then yesterday at my bariatric montly meeting, one of the women said, that's why your not losing, your exercising too much. Did not make sense, but it put the negative out there ! I like some of you are losing the inches. I don't just want to be thin again, I want to be more fit then I've ever been in my life and I'm 58 ! Hang in there drupp0314. This group made my day, I'm headed to the pool !