Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pending Approval - In need of words of encouragement

Did UHC Approve you even though your BMI was under 40?  

1. 1. Did UHC Approve you even though your BMI was under 40?

• With Mild Sleep Apnea?
    • With Mild Sleep Apnea and Osteoarthritis?
    • With only Osteoarthritis?
    • With no comordity's?

:angry:I'm a nervous wreck! I can't stop eating because when I'm this emotional I eat. Has anyone been approved based on the following information? If so, do you have UHC Choiceplan 100? My BMI is approximately 35.6, I have mild case of sleep apnea and osteoarthritis. I've also provided them with four years of weight history (all with a BMI of at least 35), I've been on many diets and gave them a list of them, I can't remember the exact dates of these diets but I do know that each time I lost weight, I ended up bigger than when I started. I believe that the Lap Band is the tool I need to take control of my life – to beat this disease. I was declined two years ago and I'm so scared that I will be declined again. Although I did not have the sleep study the first time.

My BMI was 35.1 when I first asked for the surgery and I was denied. I took a month or so to gather letters of support from each of my doctors, stating that the condition they treated me for would improve with weight less, etc. Then I wrote 2 letters from me, one about the medcal issues and one about the emotional issues of being overweight.

Anyway, while waiting, I was eating like there was no tomorrow. Partially because I was stressed and partially because I figured if they turned me down, I'd just eat my way to 40 BMI. Well, I made it up to 36.7 by the time I sent my package in and I included that BMI in my letter and my appeal was approved! However, I have BC/BS federal.

Don't take no for an answer. You have one of the most compelling arguments with the sleep apnea, so you should have a good chance. If you get denied... APPEAL! I was told that some insurance companies automatically deny on the first pass, so hang in there.

Best of luck to you and if you need to appeal, I'd be happy to share my letters. Let us know how it turns out!

Thank you so much for your reply. I did not mention that I was declined about two years ago. I won't get on the scale, I'm gaining so much weight - I'm not trying but like you said I can not stop eating (milk shakes are very soothing:( ). I gave the coordinater a letter of family history, 4 year weight history and a letter from the Dr. I'm praying for an approval this time around and I'm not giving up this time.