Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help-11 Days Post Op

I need to compare diets with some other post ops. I figure I am getting under 600 calories a day. I am feeling faint when I go outside. I freeze and then burn up, I don't have a fever though. I have even gotten out the electric blanket. I feel horrible. Am I getting enough calories? Anyone else experience these feelings?

:biggrin:

I'm about 10 days ahead of you. I don't think you are eating enough. I found that I needed extra Protein to make me feel better while I was on liquid. I found some protein liquid that contains 42 grams of protein. I read about it on this forum. I found it at GNC. Little tubes of orange flavor, mixed punch, I just add them to any juice. Some people drink them straight.

No, you are probably not getting enough calories. You definitely need some Protein shakes and/or powders because you usually cannot get enough calories and Protein otherwise while on the liquid phase. What is your doctor's or nutritionist's post-op plan? Did you get some guidelines there? I should hope so. Take care of yourself. Call your doctor's office and explain what's going on.

I need to compare diets with some other post ops. I figure I am getting under 600 calories a day. I am feeling faint when I go outside. I freeze and then burn up, I don't have a fever though. I have even gotten out the electric blanket. I feel horrible. Am I getting enough calories? Anyone else experience these feelings?

:biggrin:

Wow -- it was exactly at 9 days post-op that I started to feel lightheaded and dizzy, too. I thought I was going to pass out. My post-op diet calls for me to be on Clear Liquids for 14 days, but on the 9th day, I added in half of an Atkins Protein Shake for the added Protein. It made me feel SO much better. I tried the clear liquid Isopure drinks, but I just couldn't gag them down. I don't like the way they taste. So, I'm not saying to go against your doctor's orders (by any means, please don't do that), but it does sound like you need more protein. Maybe you should call him and inquire as to how he would like you to add protein to your diet.

I do use those bullets. They are called "New whey Protein Bullets". They are gross straight up, but I drink them that way. Takes me about 3 full minutes to get one down, one sip at a time, but it's a perfect amount of protein and it does fill me up!

I agree with everyone else, you probably need more Protein. Are you following your doctors recommendations for protein/calorie intake daily?

My doctor said anything below 800 calories and 60 grams of Protein is way too low after the initial liquid stage. I have now found that I need 1000-1200 calories a day to feel good and continue losing weight (I stopped losing at 800-1000 a day because my metabolism slowed, I also didn't feel that great).

Now would be a great time to start really tracking your protein/caloric intake. fitday.com or the daily plate websites give you free tools to track your daily intake. Follow your doctors guidelines, but if they are not very specific, after a lot of reading it seems like most of us start off similarly with at least 800 calories or 60 grams of protein as the daily minimum.

Yeah, I agree. My doctor told me to focus on at least 750 calories and <20g of fat. With me trying to watch my carbs, it was hard to get that amount in (im on day 7 of the 2 week liquid post op diet). This is what I put together and my surgeon was pleased:

EAS Advantedge Protein shake Ready to drink - strawberry (2 per day)

Lean Body Protein Shake - vanilla (1 per day)

unjury Protein powder w/skim 8oz skim milk - chocolate (1scoop)

Low sodium chicken broth - 1 cup

sugar free Jello - (1 or 2 of the 3.5oz individual cups)

sugar free popsicles (1 or 2)

Special K2O Protein Water (powder packet, less calories than the bottle)

As much Water as I can get in....around 64oz

I do find that ill get a headache if i dont drink a shake within the first hour or 2 of waking up.

I was banded 5/23 and on my 1st post op visit my doctor just said to keep doing what I was. I was on liquids only. I was on 3 weeks liquids. I was told mushies for 1 week but no real Portion Control. They said that eat only 1/2cup to 1 cup. I 'm lucky cause I haven't had whole lot of hunger. I just try to get 50-60 of Protein. I've used the New whey tubes of Protein that have 42 grams of protein. I used 1/2 at a time. I'm waiting for a first fill at 6 weeks.

I would ask for a food plan if they have one for whatever stage they put you on.

I dont know who you were asking, but here are my 2 cents:

After reading the documentation from my surgeon and the nutritionist, I put together the post diet above. My pre-op diet consisted of

>70 grams of Protein

<30 grams of carbs

<10 grams of fat

Unlike the member above, I am on liquids for 2 weeks then pureed foods for weeks 3-6, then soft foods for weeks 6-16. On month 5, i will be able to go to a regular diet and try beef, minimal starches, etc.

You should talk to your surgeon about the diet he/she perfers so that you can already have what you need when you enter that phase

Yeah its kind of hard, you just have to ask whatever pops in your head, the offices are usually good with that. Every surgeon has their own instructions, Im hurt about the fact that I cant have any startches for the first 5 months, and some surgeons allow people to at least eat instant potatoes during the mushy phase, lol