Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much should I loose in how long of time?

I was banded last July, 24, 07 and have lost over 41 pounds. The first 30 were pretty fast. I've had 4 fills and felt that was about what I needed. However, the weight is not dropping as fast as I want it to. I'm pretty good about my diet but I do have the occasional burger or a few slices of pizza and a beer. I've also scared myself a few times when the food got stuck. yeck! I've always been one to drink something (usually water) when i eat. I know this washes some of the food past the pouch but this is even a tougher habit to change than the eating part. Any suggestions or comments? I really want to get to my goal weight of 185 (I started at 265 when I was banded). I'm so happy about what I've lost but I'm thinking my brain may be sabotaging my body and my goal.

THanks for being here!

Soontobeskinny

Edited by soontobeskinny

7_5_142.gifHi soon, drinking is my big problem also.. I love my Water. I have learned that I can't have it around while I am eating. If I do, I drink it. What I am missing is milk. I love milk but only drink it while I am eating. I don't like it by itself..so I am having a hard time not having milk except in nasty protien shakes... But just don't have any drinks sitting biside you while you eat so your not tempted. Good luck and great on the weight loss.:)

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb095&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

hi, try eating a few grapes or pieces of watermelon with your meals. it will help with the no drinking with meals rule.

I have heard that drinking carbonated beverages can stretch your pouch. I am still on liquids but hungry and trying to drink my Protein Drinks at 2-3 hour intervals. This is how I plan to eat as well. Several small meals a day. I don't know if it will help but just my 2cents.

Guest ZenGarden

Unfortunately, there is no concrete answer for this proverbial million dollar question. It honestly all depends on your own body's metabolism, the foods you eat, and how much you exercise. Even with all of those things lined up properly, some of our bodies still don't cooperate willingly. According to doctors, if you have adequate restriction you are suppose to lose 1-2 pounds per week. I am 15 months post-op and down 63 pounds and the steady rate of 1-2 pounds per week has yet to happen for me. I maybe lose 5 or 6 pounds per month or every two months, if I'm lucky.

The best advice I can give is to push your doctor for regular fills so that you get adequate restriction as soon as possible. Otherwise, the band won't be working at its fullest capacity and you will get very frustrated. Make sure to eat small, healthy meals and keep up with your exercise as well.

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all of the feedback. I think I'll get another fill and work out more. Eat some grapes (nothing really dry) and really slow down when I eat. But I'll still have that glass of milk or two once in a while.

Soontobeskinny

I was banded last July, 24, 07 and have lost over 41 pounds. The first 30 were pretty fast. I've had 4 fills and felt that was about what I needed. However, the weight is not dropping as fast as I want it to. I'm pretty good about my diet but I do have the occasional burger or a few slices of pizza and a beer. I've also scared myself a few times when the food got stuck. yeck! I've always been one to drink something (usually water) when i eat. I know this washes some of the food past the pouch but this is even a tougher habit to change than the eating part. Any suggestions or comments? I really want to get to my goal weight of 185 (I started at 265 when I was banded). I'm so happy about what I've lost but I'm thinking my brain may be sabotaging my body and my goal.

THanks for being here!

Soontobeskinny

I don't have my band yet, but it sounds like to me that you may need more fills... I know my friend can't eat more than like one to one and a half pieces of pizza at a time and she gets STUFFED! I think if you can eat a "few" pieces of pizza and beer (that's not supposed to be on the diet either due to the carbonation!) that you may not have enough restriction... hope that helps

Guest ZenGarden

I have heard that drinking carbonated beverages can stretch your pouch. I am still on liquids but hungry and trying to drink my Protein drinks at 2-3 hour intervals. This is how I plan to eat as well. Several small meals a day. I don't know if it will help but just my 2cents.

This carbonation theory still amazes me. I've yet to find any literature that says we absolutely cannot have carbonation. Here is a link and quote from the Realize website that says carbonation should be avoided because you "MAY" experience excessive gas or bloating. It doesn't say anything about stretching your pouch.

Sip 64 ounces (8 cups) of low-calorie, noncarbonated fluids daily. You may want to avoid carbonated beverages because bubbles in these drinks may temporarily block your stoma, may cause discomfort, and may increase burping.

Long-Term Weight Loss Healthy Eating - REALIZEBand.com

i had my surgery on nov 19th and have lost 38 pounds, for me it all came off in the first three months and now for the past 4 months nothing. i just started counting my calories on myfitnesspal.com so i hope this will keep me more in check. since my last fill on april 15th ive been exercising 5 days a week for 45 min and eating around 1600-1800 calories a day. i think that is my problem im eating to many calories. when i was losing i would eat around 1200-1300 and exercise 3 times a week for 30 min. so basically it equals out before less calories less exercise now more cals and more exercise. im ready to do something different to get things moving again. try not to get discouraged, i know its easy to.

andrea

Have you tried calculating your BMR? If you deduct 500 calories from your BMR you should lose 1lb. a week if you continue your exercise. In addition, my Dr. suggested that I try consuming 800 calories a day and I had a 2lb. weightloss in 3 days. I've also had some success with staggering the amount of calories that I take in each day. By that I mean that I eat 800, 900, 1000 on alternating days. I've only lost 20lbs. but I'm also only 4 weeks out.

Guest ZenGarden

andie: I know how you feel. It is very easy to get frustrated because going into this banding process you get your hopes up that you will have steady weight loss and no hunger. I am 15 months post-op and have only lost 63 pounds to date. I have never, EVER lost the consistent 1-2 pounds per week everyone claims and I'm not sure at this point that I ever will. Just try and stay focused, eat properly, and insist on getting fills on a regular basis. The band is a tool, but it can only help us if it is calibrated properly. Thus, it is very important to get adequate restriction. It can be frustrating at times to come on here and everyone can eat 2 chicken nuggets and be STUFFED, while others of us are struggling with hunger, inadequate restriction, and are working our Buns off at the gym.

Guest ZenGarden

i had my surgery on nov 19th and have lost 38 pounds, for me it all came off in the first three months and now for the past 4 months nothing. i just started counting my calories on myfitnesspal.com so i hope this will keep me more in check. since my last fill on april 15th ive been exercising 5 days a week for 45 min and eating around 1600-1800 calories a day. i think that is my problem im eating to many calories. when i was losing i would eat around 1200-1300 and exercise 3 times a week for 30 min. so basically it equals out before less calories less exercise now more cals and more exercise. im ready to do something different to get things moving again. try not to get discouraged, i know its easy to.

andrea

PS - It is SO REFRESHING to find someone else who has the original Inamed 4cc capacity band!!!!! It seems like everyone here has the new Realize band and I was beginning to think I would never find anyone with the original band. I am currently filled 4.5 cc's and am just now able to tell I actually have a band. Yep, you heard me...I'm already .5cc's over the fill capacity of the band, but my doctor insists the band can hold way more than this. In fact, he has another patient with the same band who has 6.5 cc's in a 4cc band. Talk about struggling with restriction...I would hope she has great restriction now!