Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB liquids at night?

Does anyone else have an issue with PBing liquids at night?

I'm about 18 months out from surgery, and am filled to 2.9. I'm losing on average 1.5 lbs per week, and generally feel I have good restriction. I can eat pretty much anything as long as I chew well (including bread), I'm just limited to how much I can eat.

However, I am having an issue where I wake up coughing/choking at night and if I PB a lot of liquid comes out (whatever I drank last at night). After that, I'm fine. I've stopped eating or drinking anything after 8:00 at night - but am wondering if anyone else has this issue or any recommendations?

~Lori

I have the same problem since my last fill. I probably need a small unfill, but I am sooooo happy with my restriction during the day I really hate to get an unfill. I sleep propped on a few pillows and that helps a little. I am interested to see what everyone has to say about this.

PB is "productive burping", as in producing liquid when you burp (as in regurgitation) :lol:

Haven't done it myself yet, and hope not to. Some folks report mucus first before the liquid comes up. A bit unpleasant sounding but good negative reinforcement! :cursing:

Lori, don't mess around with this. This was the symptom of a slipped band TWICE. Yes, I am one of the rarest of people who has had my band slip twice. You are either too full and need a slight unfill or your band may have slipped. It is important that you get this checked soon.

I agree with Jen that you should get a slight unfill. People are so reluctant to get unfilled, but it is just as bad to be too tight as it is too loose as far as gaining. And being too tight can lead to many problems, such as a slip. At least call your surgeon and consult with him. But, even .2cc less could make a huge difference in how you feel. Good luck!

Lori , I've been dealing w/ the exact same issue for the past few weeks. My band is at about the same fullness as yours , and I'm 15 months out. I sleep propped up on my pillow. I've been awaken choking a few times which is scary. During the day I am fine if I take my time eating, and I try not to eat in the evening. I'm doing so well losing that I hate to have an unfill , but I also don't need my band to slip. What to do ????:biggrin: I tend to not lose and stay on a plateau if my band is not tight. Sometimes it's like acid reflux and when I eat a pepcid I'm ok. Other times it doesn't burn , just liquid comes up and other days everything is fine. I'm thinking hormones play into it some as to how tight I am at any given time. Some days are much tighter than others. I guess I may need to record the issues and talk w/ my Dr. the next time I see him.

It really worries me when I hear that someone is unsure if they should continue propping themselves up or choking at night. I often think about what we would say to anyone else we care about that would say to us that this is happening to them.

Signs that you have too much Fluid in your band include regurgitation, night cough, discomfort while eating, poor food choices, and poor weight loss.

Please remember about your whole health and that you want to feel good in addition to losing weight.

Hi all!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I've scheduled an appointment with my doctor for an unfill under Floro on Monday. HOpefully this is just an overfill issue not a slip.

Again - thank you for sharing your experiences!!!!

~Lori

I had the same problem last week after a fill. I went from 2.7 to 3.2. I went back to the doctor and he reduced me to 3.0. Call your doctor.

It is much better to lose weight at a slower rate than to have to have your band removed because it has slipped. Being too tight is NOT good.

Boy! Am I ever glad I logged on tonight and read everyone's comments about this. This is my first time posting comments. I had surgery on Sept. 19th and so far have lost 74 lbs. I just had my 5th fill a week ago Monday. My band holds 10cc's and I now have 7.6 cc's of liquid in it. My fill last week was only .2cc's, but boy did it make a difference. I had been on a plateau for the last 3 months mainly because I have been off track and eating sugar. But since my fill, I've already lost 7 lbs. I have really good restriction now and my appetite is small during the day.

My problem though is that at bedtime, I am gurgling every 5 seconds and it lasts for hours which severely impacts my sleep. I've had the PB with liquid and bile and have had the cough as well as waking up gasping a few times. I thought I found my "sweet spot" that my doctor says we'll get to after tweaking the band, but now I'm only getting a few hours of sleep at night and can't stand this gurgling that persists whether I'm sitting up or laying down. So are those of you that have experienced these symptoms agreeing that this is due to a band that's too tight?

Since my last fill I am having some reflux at night as well. I have been really frustrated because I LOVE the restriction i feel during the day. I can eat meats without problem, but I am full after small amounts. It is just what I pictured my "sweet spot" to be. The only time I pb is when I eat something too fast or something that my band doesn't agree with (tortillas, etc.). I have really tried to ealuate my eating habits before deciding to go for an unfill. I have stopped eating after supper. I don't even dring late at night. That has fixed it for me. I slept on 1 pillow last night and didn't cough or have any reflux at all!! I am going to wait and see what happens. When I initially have a fill I am usually more restricted at first and then it wears off. I actually decided Monday to get an unfill, but when I called found out that my doc is on vacation, so an unfill isn't an option for at least a week. That is when I stopped eating at night. I am rambling. I hope this makes sence. It is working for me!!