Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Question.. Please help!

Hello to everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum. I don't know anyone that has had the surgery expect for me, so I don't have anyone to relate to.. I just have two questions. First of all, I see that you all are doing amazing with the weight loss. Most of you have lost over 80+ pounds and still losing. I had the surgery at the end of march, and so far as of today I've lost 23 pounds. Is this good or not? It sort of discourages me that so many people have lost way more. Was just wondering if I'm on the right track.. Also, I have a 10cc band and I'm already up to 5cc. Sometimes after I eat I spit my food back up.. and other times like tonight I feel I can eat a lot.. maybe too much. Tonight I was able to eat 2 pieces of pizza. Other times I can only take a bite or two (especially in the morning) and I have to spit it back up. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Megan

First, 22 lbs is a super good start. Second, not only is it normal to be tighter in the mornings, but most of us are. Third, I'm gonna be a little preachy and say "Don't eat 2 pieces of pizza Megan!! Eat some Protein first, wait a little, and then maybe treat yourself to just a few bites of pizza". You'll be more successful if you mostly eat the good stuff. You can do it!

23lbs is great. i was banded back in janaury this year and i have lost 50lbs so far. eating more and less is normal and at first you lose alot and then it slows down to 1 to 2 lbs a week. but only eat things like pizza as a treat. same goes for anything sweet and nice. once in a while. its hard work. but the weight loss is rewarding. keep up the good work. :thumbs_up:

Megan, you are right on track with your weight loss, good job! As far as restriction goes the band can be really fickle. Sounds like you are at the right fill level if you PB sometimes. That is what happens. Sometimes I can eat 1 taco and other times just a couple bites.

You'll get better results if you base your meals on 3 oz. lean Protein and 1/2 cup of veggies, with a couple of low fat dairy servings for your Calcium and a little low glycemic carb like whole grain or Beans if you have room. Try it for a few weeks and see. :-)

Just because you can eat more, doesn't mean you should. It is your responsibility to protect your pouch by not overeating. (I'm not saying this is easy!)

Good luck!

Hi, I'm very glad to find the forum. I'm getting ready to get my band installed, but the surgery date hasn't been scheduled yet. One of my co-worker is also getting the surgery done, except her doctor recommended gastric bypass. She is trying to convince me that lab band surgery does not suppress appetite so it is very hard to lose weight via this type of surgery. She had a friend who did the lab band surgery last August and only lost 8 pounds so far (for about 6 months). She strong recommends me to do the bypass as well. My question is that after the lab band surgery, when you crave for sweets and carbohydrates again, will just 2 or 3 bites of the sweets satisfy you? In another word, even if you sneak on some sweets, you will not be able to eat as much as before, right? Does the band makes it much easier to lose weight than any other non-surgical methods (diet drugs: Xenical, Hoodia, Diet system 6, Jenny Craig etc)? Thanks. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Emma, I don't think the band will stop you from eating sweets. They will go down easily, and the more you eat the more you'll want. I love key lime pie, and I know I could eat it with no difficulty given its texture- so I just haven't bought any since my surgery. There is still a candy dish on the secretary's desk outside my office, and my band won't stop me from eating tootsie rolls. However, knowing I went through the surgery, and seeing my weight loss to date, keeps me motivated to do my part. Because I'm less hungry, I am less inclined to go to the vending machine- in that way it helps. But it doesn't actually stop me from going. That's still willpower. The band meets you halfway but you have to have some discipline.

I have read that the band works best for people who are 'volume eaters', as opposed to 'grazers'. If your main problem is eating too quickly and too much when you sit down to eat, the band works great. If your problem is grazing on carbs all day, I think you'll derive less benefit. Just my opinion. The bypass will make it unpleasant to eat sweets. The lap band won't.

Susan, you are right. With lap band surgery, the weight loss still depends on the willpower. The difference would be, because I am less hungry, I am less inclined to buy cake and Cookies on my own. With bypass, I would definitely have an easier time to lose 70% of the extra weight in the first year as the surgery tends to suppress my appetite. However, I am really concerned with the long term side effects of bypass: mal-nutrition. I am only 32 years old. I think I will stick with the lap band and exercise my willpower to reach my goal weight. What about the fruits? Do we also need stay away from them while we are trying to lose weight? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I was banded by Dr. heiker as well. But my weight loss has been next to none in a year. also I have had a lot of problems with the band port. Have you been really successful after your band?

You have to remember that the Band is a tool - not a miracle cure all that will make you stop eating or make good food choices. By choosing to have the surgery you hopefully were choosing to dedicate yourself to changing your life and eating habits. pizza is what makes most people fat in the first place...so why even think of eating it while you are in your losing stage? It would be a nice treat after you are at a normal weight but it is certainly not a food to encourage or help your weight loss. Check with your doctor or a nutritionist....sounds like you did not get proper nutritional guidelines before surgery. You should be eating Protein protein protein...then veggies....NO CARBS at least the starchy ones. Otherwise...do you really expect your new tool to assist your body to lose weight while eating pizza? I was banded 4-16-09 and cannot even entertain the thought of eating a piece of bread - much less fat and carb laden pizza. Retrain your brain and the body will follow!!!

Sweet is right. Your weight loss success does not lie on the band but in your self. It is not there to strip off your weight while you can't control what you eat. It is just there to help you lose weight. Just like what others said, weight loss is a change of lifestyle. Lap band surgery is really effective if you just control what you eat. Mind over matter. Be motivated and focus yourself into other things when your cravings for a certain food strikes.:thumbup:

I have my consultation with the surgeon on May 20, 09. My pcp thinks its a great idea, since I've tried almost every diet under the sun. I need to lose in excess of 100 lbs. I just came across this site and I'm hoping someone can give me advise on how to get my family on board. I have not told anyone as of yet. I need my family to support me not sabbatage my hopes of becoming a new and different person. I want to feel confident being around people. I want to be more outgoing and not try to hide and be invisible.

Hi Dodgedt..

I can sort of relate to how you feel without the support of family. I had to sell my husband on the band, and even tho I am still to have my surgery...It took some time to win him over. He said that I can lose weight..why do this? isnt this drastic? that sort of line. Then I took him to the seminar with me and he heard the information and realized that this is not what is going to make the weight go away, that I will also have to work at it. I think that his concern was that if it comes too easy then I will be more apt to not work at making the changes that I need to stay thinner and healthy. Good concern I guess but he also has to realize that this is the untimate sacrifice for many of us. I know I for one love food. Ice cream, potatoe chips..Chocolate, burgers, french fries..all the things that are not good for me are the most appealing. Did I mention cheesecake? lol

Anyways..once hubby read some and I would send him links to things I had read. I also had him help me read and do research on what the surgeon I was looking into using had as a reputation. Including him and making him feel like this was something that we are doing together helped him overcome his objections and such. Now he helps me shop for stuff that I can eat. My BMI is so high that the doc would like me to drop some weight before surgery and wants me on the pre op diet at least a month prior to surgery, but I ve started now. 2 Protein shakes a day and a salad for lunch and then I eat dinner. In a little over a week, ive dropped 10 lbs already and I am really not doing anything in terms or exercise and stuff.

Another way to help get your family on board is to let them know that even tho you are doing this for you and your health, it will also be beneficial to them. You will be happier, healthier and more than likely more energetic and keep them on their toes!! lol

If you ever just want someone to bounce some stuff off of Im here - As are a lot of others of course. We are all taking this journey for life...our life and those of who we love.

GL

Deb

:confused:

Hi Megan! Don't get discouraged. Everybody looses at different rates. You've only been banded for a little less than 2 1/2 months. 23 lbs is alot. Keep up the good work!!